Kudos to Shamire

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I love devin personally, does he need to get in better shape yes, will it be instant, no, it's a process, I'm almost 6'7" & 350, he has to maintain the good weight that he has. I'm no expert but I've done it before it's hard js

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised if they just tell Shamire that he doesn't need to scoop if he can just down block his guy into a pancake. He really looks uncomfortable trying to scoop, imo.

depends on how the DL is aligned vs playside.....there are a few types of scoops...only one is a cut or ends up a cut....if the DL is tight we don't cut, we scoop and seal...it looks like a drive block to a degree...its actually a zone block technique

FYI this is why so many people don't get our O...they hear scoop or cut and immediately think cut/chop. We scoop every play almost, and don't cut in the scoop based on backside blocking etc...

But, I will point out. that in the past 4 years or so our OL does not CUT as much as initially. I believe we did tweak our OL scheme....and for a guy like devine you had too...and thats your point...I agree with it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The refs and conference may have forced the coaches hand on tweaking the online.

Would Devine be drafted as a gaurd or project OT? OT is where the $$ at.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
depends on how the DL is aligned vs playside.....there are a few types of scoops...only one is a cut or ends up a cut....if the DL is tight we don't cut, we scoop and seal...it looks like a drive block to a degree...its actually a zone block technique

FYI this is why so many people don't get our O...they hear scoop or cut and immediately think cut/chop. We scoop every play almost, and don't cut in the scoop based on backside blocking etc...

But, I will point out. that in the past 4 years or so our OL does not CUT as much as initially. I believe we did tweak our OL scheme....and for a guy like devine you had too...and thats your point...I agree with it.
On Marshall's first td I noticed none of the OL flopping or diving at knees. Is that a zone dive?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I am for the most part with I am a B on this topic, basically because it is a process and one's football career at Tech is not a matter of one play or even one season. All of the talk of his NFL potential is well and good but to speak of him today as if he should or has to exhibit on the field achievement of his potential is a bit strong. I am reminded of how in basketball the really big guys tend to take the longest to achieve the maximum of their potential, in large measure because of their age relative to their size. Devine already does exhibit great balance, agility, and movement for his size but like other big guys it shouldn't be shocking if his "NFL potential" is not actualized yet.

Last time I checked TJ Barnes is a pro player, but whatever we decide the reason is the bottom line is that we did not get to see his NFL potential actualized more than in brief moments while he was at Tech.

In my view, Shamire has already given us far more on the field evidence of his great potential than TJ was able to do, so it will be only more exciting every week to see what Devine unleashes.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
As a fan who wants the team to win every game, Shamire reaching his potential is a worthy goal. It would be fascinating to see what he could do before he's done. To some extent, our success is dependent on him playing at his best.

What I'll say next, I understand will be of no use for some of you. But, Shamire is one heck of a nice kid. He's got this refreshing uniqueness to his personality. I think we have enjoyed our opportunities to meet him as much as anyone on the team. Listening to you all, he's not as naturally dedicated and aggressive as some might like him to be. I get that. If I were coaching him, I can't imagine how frustrating that would be.

But, I'll tell you where I am. If Shamire decides he doesn't want to play a down in the NFL, but instead figures out a way to make a living doing what he loves--I would have to be happy for him. I like the kid that much.

:) Still, if he played well enough that he even had the option--that'd work out pretty well for us.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As a fan who wants the team to win every game, Shamire reaching his potential is a worthy goal. It would be fascinating to see what he could do before he's done. To some extent, our success is dependent on him playing at his best.

What I'll say next, I understand will be of no use for some of you. But, Shamire is one heck of a nice kid. He's got this refreshing uniqueness to his personality. I think we have enjoyed our opportunities to meet him as much as anyone on the team. Listening to you all, he's not as naturally dedicated and aggressive as some might like him to be. I get that. If I were coaching him, I can't imagine how frustrating that would be.

But, I'll tell you where I am. If Shamire decides he doesn't want to play a down in the NFL, but instead figures out a way to make a living doing what he loves--I would have to be happy for him. I like the kid that much.

:) Still, if he played well enough that he even had the option--that'd work out pretty well for us.
Agreed. For us on this board, football seems like everything in life. Seriously though, we all know it isn't, not even close. There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing not to play football.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. For us on this board, football seems like everything in life. Seriously though, we all know it isn't, not even close. There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing not to play football.
It's that we assume that, to make it to this level of competition, the player must focus on football like it is everything in his life. That is obviously not the case, though. Especially at Georgia Tech.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
pancake-fun-facts.jpeg
YES!!!! ALL HAIL THE KING OF PANCAKES!!!!!

I've recently made the Tall Ninja my work laptop background, as he's my favorite player. Not only does he look ready to start crushing opponents in full, I love the fact that he has a lot of interests that are aligned with your typical GT kid (i.e. - video games, cartoons, movies).