King Injury Factual Updates

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Let’s get back to some injury discussion…

Feel like we could really use these guys going down the stretch.

Horace
Cooley
Hawes
Goede
Beetham

I don’t have any info on Hawes or Beetham. Goede’s didn’t seem promising. He immediately grabbed his knee. That fact that we’re 8-9 weeks into this thing, and we still haven’t seen Horace and Cooley is concerning. Horace dresses for every game. Haven’t seen or heard a peep from Cooley since he left FSU. Do concussions last that long? Maybe he’s playing catch up.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Let’s get back to some injury discussion…

Feel like we could really use these guys going down the stretch.

Horace
Cooley
Hawes
Goede
Beetham

I don’t have any info on Hawes or Beetham. Goede’s didn’t seem promising. He immediately grabbed his knee. That fact that we’re 8-9 weeks into this thing, and we still haven’t seen Horace and Cooley is concerning. Horace dresses for every game. Haven’t seen or heard a peep from Cooley since he left FSU. Do concussions last that long? Maybe he’s playing catch up.
Concussion protocols can actually last months, depending on how the player is responding. My daughter played volleyball and was out 7 weeks (most of the season) after taking a spike to the back of the head during practice.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Direct quote from the announcers: “I don’t know why they even consider passing the ball.” This was with King in the game, in the third quarter. We were running all over them, and I imagine we would’ve run the ball if King was in the game as well. We were up 10, trying to burn the clock.
This. If Pyron had come in and thrown an interception you very same complainers would be on here screeching at the coaches for blowing the game. We won.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Pyron threw some nice passes in the VMI game, he is a more than capable backup. I don’t blame the coaches for trying to burn clock down and run the ball to end the game.
The killer was the absurd 12 men breaking the huddle on the 3rd and 1 coming out of the 2 minute time out. That was totally unacceptable by the coaches and players! It almost cost us the game.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
No need to throw this conjecture out there. Faulkner doesn't choose who plays, Weinke does. Position coaches always determine who plays. If it comes down to it and there's a disagreement, Key does. Familial relationships will have nothing to do with playing time. Of all things, this I am sure of.

not true at all

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll admit, I blew a midterm over dime beer night at Pippin’s one October evening. The tradeoff? I got to see Mr. October become Mr. October for the cheap price of a W on a grade report. Same scenario, I’d probably do it all over again.
the college version of "work-life balance" that is so popular these days.

I was way ahead of my time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree. I used to think otherwise until the CBL/Donnie Davis/Tom Luginbill imbroglio.

At the end of the day, Key is going to make the best decision for his chances to win. Key knows what's at stake.

Key LOVES Pyron...what Pyron did for this team while Key was interim is not forgotten, and the way Pyron handled not being named the starter in 2023 and his continued team first approach is well respected among the coaching staff and team. I think some of our fans forget that as much as Pyron is respected on the team, and for what he meant to us in 2022 during Key's interim stint, Key still made the tough decision to go with King as our starting QB in 2023. It's simply because King was and is our best QB...and statistically, he's one of the best QBs in the country (currently #15 in QBR). Key made the right decision.

If anyone thinks Key is going to go with Philo or Pyron or whoever because of "familial relations" with an assistant coach, you're sadly mistaken. At the end of the day, Key has the ultimate say on who the QB will be...not Weinke, not even Faulkner. Obviously, those two have a lot of input and Key won't over rule an obvious decision if the other two feel a certain way. All coaches and players see in practice and in games who should be playing. Are there some coaches in football that may show favoritism? Of course...but I don't think that's the case with Key. Don't forget, Key had to make the difficult decision of letting some coaches go who he was very fond of...but it was the right decision for the program. He's going to do the same thing with players.

Last edited:

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day, Key is going to make the best decision for his chances to win. Key knows what's at stake.

Key LOVES Pyron...what Pyron did for this team while Key was interim is not forgotten, and the way Pyron handled not being named the starter in 2023 and his continued team first approach is well respected among the coaching staff and team. I think some of our fans forget that as much as Pyron is respected on the team, and for what he meant to us in 2022 during Key's interim stint, Key still made the tough decision to go with King as our starting QB in 2023. It's simply because King was and is our best QB...and statistically, he's one of the best QBs in the country (currently #15 in QBR). Key made the right decision.

If anyone thinks Key is going to go with Philo or Pyron or whoever because of "familial relations" with an assistant coach, you're sadly mistaken. At the end of the day, Key has the ultimate say on who the QB will be...not Weinke, not even Faulkner. Obviously, those two have a lot of input and Key won't overall an obvious decision if the other two feel a certain way. All coaches and players see in practice and in games who should be playing. Are there some coaches in football that may show favoritism? Of course...but I don't think that's the case with Key. Don't forget, Key had to make the difficult decision of letting some coaches go who he was very fond of...but it was the right decision for the program. He's going to do the same thing with players.
I totally agree. To me the only thing Key needs to work on is his game management, which, I believe, is impacted by his emotional connection to GT at times.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I have no earthly idea what eigenvalues are.
They look like this after enough $2 beer.....

travel arrows GIF by Shurly

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

If anyone thinks Key is going to go with Philo or Pyron or whoever because of "familial relations" with an assistant coach, you're sadly mistaken. At the end of the day, Key has the ultimate say on who the QB will be...not Weinke, not even Faulkner. Obviously, those two have a lot of input and Key won't overall an obvious decision if the other two feel a certain way. All coaches and players see in practice and in games who should be playing. Are there some coaches in football that may show favoritism? Of course...but I don't think that's the case with Key. Don't forget, Key had to make the difficult decision of letting some coaches go who he was very fond of...but it was the right decision for the program. He's going to do the same thing with players.
I was not referring to Key or our current situation in my comment fwiw. I think CBK is too "old school" and logical in his approach to be swayed by sentiment or emotion. However, as in the case I referenced, I do think it does come into play however. Not all coaches operate the same. Sorry for any confusion with my post.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this is factual, maybe not.

I counted 3 possible injury occurrences with King. I’m too lazy to go through my recorded game and pinpoint the time of each. I’m just tired of different events being jumbled up.

Early in the game (first series?) King threw a pass and while his arm was still up a defender hit him in the ribs under his throwing arm. King shook his arm out several times after that play and throughout the game.

Later there was helmet to helmet contact by a defender on King. It seemed to have had effect on King but outcome was unknown.

Another event was a tackle of King on a run (down around the 3 yard line?) and the hit didn’t look particularly bad but after that King continually looked uncomfortable, both in the game and on the sideline, and was removed from the game.

Anything else on my part would be total speculation. I suspect we won’t know anymore until, and if, the coaching staff releases that information.
The weird thing is that King would seem to be favoring his arm or shoulder, but then throw a nice crisp pass later on. Hampered on some plays, fine on others. Or so it seemed to me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was not referring to Key or our current situation in my comment fwiw. I think CBK is too "old school" and logical in his approach to be swayed by sentiment or emotion. However, as in the case I referenced, I do think it does come into play however. Not all coaches operate the same. Sorry for any confusion with my post.

My bad, my reply wasn't an refute to your post, it was just a general comment about the "QB situation" (there's no QB situation IMO).

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
The weird thing is that King would seem to be favoring his arm or shoulder, but then throw a nice crisp pass later on. Hampered on some plays, fine on others. Or so it seemed to me.
My shoulder was exactly like that. At times it was fine. Then, with a slightly differnt motion, it was excrusciating. That's how I learned the meaning of that word. LOL

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My shoulder was exactly like that. At times it was fine. Then, with a slightly differnt motion, it was excrusciating. That's how I learned the meaning of that word. LOL

King strikes me as one of those guys that will try to play through injury because he doesn't want to let the team down. He may even go so far as to not tell the staff the truth about the pain he's enduring because he wants to be on the field. Pyron is the same way...as we saw it his Freshmen season. Admirable quality to have, and it's why the team loves those two a LOT. IMO, I think King was hurt even before this game. I saw him favor one side throughout the Duke game. I hope it's not his AC joint, because those take a while to recover from, and depending on the severity, his best bet is just rest...and that's something he will object to because he's that kind of competitor.

No one knows, and it's all just pure conjecture obviously, but it's apparent that King is not 100% right now.