Kiffin on NIL and Portal

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Kiffin is a narcissistic dbag and a tool. Has probably been his whole life. If he is saying something that is true it is to his own benefit and not to point out an injustice. Lamenting a world where you have to rape and pillage to survive while you are raping and pillaging is not altruism. But it is hypocritical to complain about a system in which he is manipulating to his advantage while he rakes in millions of dollars. Poor little Kiffin.
I don't understand why people malign Kiffin for doing his job. Why should he be expected to put himself at a competitive disadvantage out of principle? Everything he said about the portal and NIL is correct, and in an ideal world, I'm sure he'd like it to go away. But this is the world we live in, and his job is to win games at Ole Miss, so why wouldn't he do everything he can to make his program successful? Don't hate the player, hate the game (or in this case, don't hate the player pointing out the issues with the game).

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think you’ve nearly exactly described what being hypocritical is. And it’s OK for us to respectfully disagree and I do respect your thoughts on it and I think you’ve been respectful towards mine and I thank you.
Certainly, we can disagree. I believe that acknowledging that a practice is required today to compete, and so I have to do it, but I dislike it because I think it's bad for the game is not my definition of hypocrite. IMPO, a hypocrite is doing something yet criticizing others for doing the same thing. But we can respectfully disagree on this.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Certainly, we can disagree. I believe that acknowledging that a practice is required today to compete, and so I have to do it, but I dislike it because I think it's bad for the game is not my definition of hypocrite. IMPO, a hypocrite is doing something yet criticizing others for doing the same thing. But we can respectfully disagree on this.
I think we mostly agree. I just think that "others" includes himself :cool:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. And he also knows that the portal giveth and the portal taketh away. He’ll use it while it exists to try to keep up with other teams who use it, but I’m sure he rather not have to lose sleep worrying about having good players transfer out.
LOL! At the suggestion Kiffin is losing any sleep about this. His team is probably one of the worst offenders in tampering with players that are not in the portal.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why people malign Kiffin for doing his job. Why should he be expected to put himself at a competitive disadvantage out of principle? Everything he said about the portal and NIL is correct, and in an ideal world, I'm sure he'd like it to go away. But this is the world we live in, and his job is to win games at Ole Miss, so why wouldn't he do everything he can to make his program successful? Don't hate the player, hate the game (or in this case, don't hate the player pointing out the issues with the game).
There is a far difference between just participating in the system and what Kiffin is doing. No one is maliging him for doing his job or suggesting he should put himself at a competitive disadvantage. But he is manipulating the system to where he is tampering with players not in the portal, but on rosters, and poaching them. Then, has to gall to complain about it. Ef him.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I htink the solution here is to semi-admit that college football has become a professional sport. Once that is done - and there will be fudge words all over it - the NCAA can cut down on portal entry and institute a luxury tax on the teams with the money. Once the donors see that their money is being drained off to support other programs, they will begin to re-think the amounts thy are putting in. It's the "donor base" that's driving the corruption (well, that's what it is) of the sport. Get that under control and everything will become more competitive.

But … that's not likely for the near future. So we develop and develop and develop and hope the program is successful enough to keep the portal managed.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA needs to simply stop existing. It does nothing for anyone because it does everything unequally. I’d rather have no system than a corrupt system.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Need about 30 more joining them.
Dabo has been adamantly opposed to the whole NIL idea for a while, even before it became legal. He’s also been reluctant to use the transfer portal for the same reasons. He’s only gotten ridiculed for it. I think most coaches have already made the stance pretty clear about being opposed to what’s happening but it hasn’t made a difference

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
ESPN just reported that Matt Rhule stated that a good P5 QB will cost $1-2x10⁶ in the portal. Assuming that is true, what do you think we paid for King?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
ESPN just reported that Matt Rhule stated that a good P5 QB will cost $1-2x10⁶ in the portal. Assuming that is true, what do you think we paid for King?
Welll….He paid $600k for Sims, so he is simply surmising that a good one ought to be 2x-3x that.

I kid, sorry.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s not even close to true
I'd say his point is likely true, but instead of good the word should be proven. A fella like Haynes King is really good, but when coming here he wan't proven, so likely not pulling in the big bucks like Sam Hartman.