Kiffin on NIL and Portal

slugboy

Staff member
Do we know that Kiffin is doing that with the players he has obtained from us?
Feel free to check the recruiting timelines and signings and social media photos for Kiffin over the past three years (he’s a little more subtle now than before). Check the speed that players enter the portal, set their preferences to “no contact”, and leave the portal almost immediately for Ole Miss.

Unless you want video of him explicitly tampering, I’m not sure what kind of evidence you’re looking for

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I keep saying it, the NCAA needs to re-institute the 1 year ineligible rule if an SA transfers. The ineligible year won't count against his 4 years of eligibility. Let's see how many schools are willing to pay an SA to "sit" for year. SAs that graduate will be able to play immediately upon transferring.

I think that would stop a LOT of tampering.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The tooth fairy is more real than NCAA enforcement. Tampering does not exist as a real rule. It’s just words on paper. Just like paying players under the table for the past 50 years. Unless the words are enforced they don’t exist. And the system is not broken. Players are freaking human beings who can change their mind at any point. Most of y’all are just upset that players now have freedom to change schools just like every student can. I really don’t understand the venom. The only entity that is responsible for everything we all dislike is the NCAA because their total lack of enforcement of their rules has created a sport without rules.

Kiffin is doing what he has to do to build his program and I admire him for that. I was hoping we had that in our previous coach. I hope Key is contacting every high level player who ever showed an interest in GT. This is the sport we have. I hope Blaylock and Faulkner are talking to every backup player at UGA about GT.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If you “GET a transfer from a school … to CONTACT a former teammate”, you’re tampering. If you let someone know before they go into the portal that you’ve got a spot for them, you’re tampering. If you tell one of your players “Hey, if your buddy were in the portal, we’d have a spot for him here”, you’re tampering.

If the player has an idea of what kind of NIL they’ll be getting before they go in the portal, they’ve been tampered with.

There’s a difference between “you can’t prove that beyond the shadow of a doubt, like in a criminal case” and “this is obvious that he’s doing it”. It’s obvious that he’s tampering often and blatantly.
So all our basketball transfers went into the portal with no contact that GT was a possibility thru any of their own contacts. You sound like you are whining! Players are not stupid. They ask other players, former coaches and friends to get info on transferring long before they go into the portal! They would be stupid not to do that!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So all our basketball transfers went into the portal with no contact that GT was a possibility thru any of their own contacts. You sound like you are whining! Players are not stupid. They ask other players, former coaches and friends to get info on transferring long before they go into the portal! They would be stupid not to do that!
I agree with everything you said (maybe not the whining part). But, that doesn't mean it's not tampering.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
He’s just enough of a snake to do the dirty side of the business and has the clean cut public image to the casual observer to where he’s overlooked and given the benefit of the doubt.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Feel free to check the recruiting timelines and signings and social media photos for Kiffin over the past three years (he’s a little more subtle now than before). Check the speed that players enter the portal, set their preferences to “no contact”, and leave the portal almost immediately for Ole Miss.

Unless you want video of him explicitly tampering, I’m not sure what kind of evidence you’re looking for
I did not know any of what you say, just not something I had researched, my question was a legit "I don't know" question.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish GT would get in someone’s face about something eventually. That means we are winning if we start to aggravate. I can still remember when everyone outside of GT whined about our coach too. The past few years everyone outside of GT has loved our coach.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything you said (maybe not the whining part). But, that doesn't mean it's not tampering.
Then 90% of transfers are tampering. Nothing wrong with putting out feelers for players considering transferring. If saying someone who responds to questions on team X from a player interested in possibly transferring to team X then ignoring tampering is the correct COA.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
The grass is always greener somewhere else for any player who wants to enter the transfer portal, whether it be for NIL money, playing time, personal, and/or academic reasons.

The recruiting grass is always greener with the availability of other players in the transfer portal, for all coaches who believe they need to pursue it.

The grass never turns out to be greener every time, however. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn’t.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I keep saying it, the NCAA needs to re-institute the 1 year ineligible rule if an SA transfers. The ineligible year won't count against his 4 years of eligibility. Let's see how many schools are willing to pay an SA to "sit" for year. SAs that graduate will be able to play immediately upon transferring.

I think that would stop a LOT of tampering.

Wasn’t Lane scheduled to take the Auburn job without any consequences? No need to punish football & basketball athletes with with everyone else can leave at a drop of a dime

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The grass is always greener somewhere else for any player who wants to enter the transfer portal, whether it be for NIL money, playing time, personal, and/or academic reasons.

The recruiting grass is always greener with the availability of other players in the transfer portal, for all coaches who believe they need to pursue it.

The grass never turns out to be greener every time, however. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn’t.
Yeah, it’s a crapshoot and gamble for the player but so is signing with a school out of high school. Look at Demetrius Knight. Dude was a stud and signed with GT and then had a disastrous career at GT, none of his own making, because of the dude who ran the program who played the wrong players. If Knight were an incoming freshman now instead of 4 years ago he could be a top tier player for us. Most of those who transfer will never be heard from again even if they get a little playing time but the option of the portal should have been instituted long ago.

And if we lose players every year then that’s on the coaching staff. Say King comes out slinging it and lights it up. You better believe Key and Faulkner‘s number 1 item would be to re-sign him for next year because the Kiffen’s and Riley’s will be calling. That’s part of the job description for the staff.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it’s a crapshoot and gamble for the player but so is signing with a school out of high school. Look at Demetrius Knight. Dude was a stud and signed with GT and then had a disastrous career at GT, none of his own making, because of the dude who ran the program who played the wrong players. If Knight were an incoming freshman now instead of 4 years ago he could be a top tier player for us. Most of those who transfer will never be heard from again even if they get a little playing time but the option of the portal should have been instituted long ago.

And if we lose players every year then that’s on the coaching staff. Say King comes out slinging it and lights it up. You better believe Key and Faulkner‘s number 1 item would be to re-sign him for next year because the Kiffen’s and Riley’s will be calling. That’s part of the job description for the staff.
King can't move again without sitting out a year. That's why I've been a proponent of going Portal heavy instead of taking flyers on HS kids that might be diamonds in the rough. They've already got a year or two in a college program and can't just bolt if they blow up.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
King can't move again without sitting out a year. That's why I've been a proponent of going Portal heavy instead of taking flyers on HS kids that might be diamonds in the rough. They've already got a year or two in a college program and can't just bolt if they blow up.
I don't think that's actually stopping anyone, tons of guys have transferred for a 2nd and 3rd time who were not grad students. NCAA isn't enforcing anything.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, if anyone wanted to leave they can easily find a reason and the NCAA will stamp it. A sick relative, a dirty word thrown your way, etc. Forensic, we are in a new era so you gotta stop using the old rule book otherwise you are gonna be frustrated until you stop caring - which you’ll never do because GT is our team.