Kiffin on NIL and Portal

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin has a few words on the NIL and transfer portal. I hate that he took from us. He admits to benefiting from the system in place now. Thoughts?

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-state-college-football-disaster?platform=amp
He's a tool. He's not wrong. But he's a tool. And if you're using the system that you think is causing it to be a disaster then you are contributing to the problem and should shut your pie hole. If he really was sincere in wanting to make things better, which I am sure he's not, then start by looking in the mirror rather than pointing the finger elsewhere. The one thing he did that I somewhat respect is, as you said, admit that he benefits from it. So at least he's not being dishonest.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He's a tool. He's not wrong. But he's a tool. And if you're using the system that you think is causing it to be a disaster then you are contributing to the problem and should shut your pie hole. If he really was sincere in wanting to make things better, which I am sure he's not, then start by looking in the mirror rather than pointing the finger elsewhere. The one thing he did that I somewhat respect is, as you said, admit that he benefits from it. So at least he's not being dishonest.
He is in a job that requires him to compete with Bama, UGA, TENN, LSU, FLA, TAM, etc plus TX, OK, and he doesn't have the resources they have. He is doing what he has to do to try and compete and he is taking advantage of the current situation in college football. I don't care for him but can understand why he is poaching. At least he is admitting how flawed the system has become. What is happening now is ruining college football for all but a few teams.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What? You want a coach in a market where he is easily replaceable to not use the system like every other coach does? So you don’t think Key should take transfers? Every school takes transfer so I don’t understand why only certain coaches are looked at negatively just because they get a perceived higher level of player. You think Key wouldn’t allow the entire defensive line from UGA to transfer to GT if he could convince them? Come on. We’d all be doing back flips if Key brought in a defensive line of 4 and 5 stars. All the whining about other schools from our fanbase is just odd.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
What? You want a coach in a market where he is easily replaceable to not use the system like every other coach does? So you don’t think Key should take transfers? Every school takes transfer so I don’t understand why only certain coaches are looked at negatively just because they get a perceived higher level of player. You think Key wouldn’t allow the entire defensive line from UGA to transfer to GT if he could convince them? Come on. We’d all be doing back flips if Key brought in a defensive line of 4 and 5 stars. All the whining about other schools from our fanbase is just odd.
I didn't say he should stop what he is doing. I think he should keep his mouth shut. If he's not prepared to DO anything about the problem and is contributing to the proliferation of said problem then I really don't want to hear complaints from him about it. I actually don't think he's doing anything "wrong" by using the system to the maximum benefit. And, as I said, I do respect that he's being honest about the fact that he knows he's contributing to the problem.

That's just me. Some people appreciate that he is calling the system out. And that's fine, too.

Last edited:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He is in a job that requires him to compete with Bama, UGA, TENN, LSU, FLA, TAM, etc plus TX, OK, and he doesn't have the resources they have. He is doing what he has to do to try and compete and he is taking advantage of the current situation in college football. I don't care for him but can understand why he is poaching. At least he is admitting how flawed the system has become. What is happening now is ruining college football for all but a few teams.
I don't think you got the point I was making. I wasn't actually complaining about him using the system. Much as I dislike that he specifically is poaching GT I'm not faulting him for it. The rules are what they are right now and coaches are doing what they need to do in order to compete. I just don't care to hear from someone who is using the system to the max about how the system, and therefore said person, is ruining the game. And the one thing I gave him credit for is that he admitted that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the difference is that there is a perception that Ole Miss is tampering. There are a lot of schools tampering (maybe all of them), but Ole Miss is getting a reputation for being especially egregious in this aspect.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Maybe someone can explain what tampering means in this situation, if taking someone from another school is tampering then we (GT) are also guilty. Don't all the kids that are being taken enter the portal before going somewhere else? I'm truly asking, I don't understand what it really means.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe someone can explain what tampering means in this situation, if taking someone from another school is tampering then we (GT) are also guilty. Don't all the kids that are being taken enter the portal before going somewhere else? I'm truly asking, I don't understand what it really means.
You aren’t allowed to contact a player on another team before they go in the portal. You aren’t allowed to recruit a player on another team before they go into the portal. That’s tampering. It’s defined in NCAA rules.

Taking transfers from other schools is not tampering. Talking them into going into the portal, directly or indirectly, so they can come to your school is tampering.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say he should stop what he is doing. I think he should keep his mouth shut. If he's not prepared to DO anything about the problem and is contributing to the proliferation of said problem then I really don't want to hear complaints from him about it. I actually don't think he's doing anything "wrong" by using the system to the maximum benefit. And, as I said, I do respect that he's being honest about the fact that he knows he's contributing to the problem.

That's just me. Some people appreciate that he is calling the system out. And that's fine, too.
The more coaches that publically point out the issues the better. The only possible fix is tinkering with the transfer rules. NIL is basically untouchable now.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You aren’t allowed to contact a player on another team before they go in the portal. You aren’t allowed to recruit a player on another team before they go into the portal. That’s tampering. It’s defined in NCAA rules.

Taking transfers from other schools is not tampering. Talking them into going into the portal, directly or indirectly, so they can come to your school is tampering.
Pretty easy if you get a transfer from a school like GT that has some good players to then contact a former teammate. They know who can play on their previous team. It can be player to player until they enter the portal. May even be innocent contact at first as former friends texting each other.
I also expect there is some contact that is illicit by some coaches. Impossible to prove without subpoena power for cell phone records. It's supposed to be a NCAA violation but who can prove it.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Exactly!!! He needs to STHU! There’s a difference between using it and being the very thing you say is hurting the game. Ole Miss has induced 3 GT players and has a total of 93 in/out of the portal but you want to be on a soapbox? Puh-lease

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you got the point I was making. I wasn't actually complaining about him using the system. Much as I dislike that he specifically is poaching GT I'm not faulting him for it. The rules are what they are right now and coaches are doing what they need to do in order to compete. I just don't care to hear from someone who is using the system to the max about how the system, and therefore said person, is ruining the game. And the one thing I gave him credit for is that he admitted that.
Think we are basically saying the same thing.

slugboy

Staff member
Pretty easy if you get a transfer from a school like GT that has some good players to then contact a former teammate. They know who can play on their previous team. It can be player to player until they enter the portal. May even be innocent contact at first as former friends texting each other.
I also expect there is some contact that is illicit by some coaches. Impossible to prove without subpoena power for cell phone records. It's supposed to be a NCAA violation but who can prove it.
If you “GET a transfer from a school … to CONTACT a former teammate”, you’re tampering. If you let someone know before they go into the portal that you’ve got a spot for them, you’re tampering. If you tell one of your players “Hey, if your buddy were in the portal, we’d have a spot for him here”, you’re tampering.

If the player has an idea of what kind of NIL they’ll be getting before they go in the portal, they’ve been tampered with.

There’s a difference between “you can’t prove that beyond the shadow of a doubt, like in a criminal case” and “this is obvious that he’s doing it”. It’s obvious that he’s tampering often and blatantly.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If you “GET a transfer from a school … to CONTACT a former teammate”, you’re tampering. If you let someone know before they go into the portal that you’ve got a spot for them, you’re tampering. If you tell one of your players “Hey, if your buddy were in the portal, we’d have a spot for him here”, you’re tampering.

If the player has an idea of what kind of NIL they’ll be getting before they go in the portal, they’ve been tampered with.

There’s a difference between “you can’t prove that beyond the shadow of a doubt, like in a criminal case” and “this is obvious that he’s doing it”. It’s obvious that he’s tampering often and blatantly.
What about Mack at UNC. Derrick Allen and McCollum. Did he tamper? He would have game film to see their ability and had needs in the secondary and receiver. As far as I'm concerned he's the ACC version of Kiffin.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think that’s kind of Lane’s point. The NCAA has an enforcement problem that is exacerbated by a set of rules which are being used to shield the behavior that they’re trying to prevent.

Throw in the high pressure, large compensation jobs where results are expected beyond what’s rational, and you get people gaming the system.

No love lost for Lane from me, and I don’t have issue with him saying essentially “Hey, this isn’t good for the sport long term but I gotta do what’s best for me short term till it gets sorted”.

At least he is talking about it and joining his voice to the calls for improving the system.

slugboy

Staff member
What about Mack at UNC. Derrick Allen and McCollum. Did he tamper? He would have game film to see their ability and had needs in the secondary and receiver. As far as I'm concerned he's the ACC version of Kiffin.
Having game film means you know who is good. Tampering means recruiting them.

He probably did tamper though. There aren’t many who are using the portal like Kiffin is, and there’s a lot of active recruiting going on.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

Do we know that Kiffin is doing that with the players he has obtained from us?