Kaepernick

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Northeast Stinger
As for your comparisons to other minority athletes in history. I see a pretty big difference in Kap and some you cited, most notably Ali. I don't recall Ali quoting or praising any convicted fugitive cop killers as Kap has done with Assata Shakur.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he should play without a helmet as well since it has an American flag on the back on it. Another thing, if he's so upset about things, how about donating some of that money he makes playing football to help the misfortune people.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Maybe he should play without a helmet as well since it has an American flag on the back on it. Another thing, if he's so upset about things, how about donating some of that money he makes playing football to help the misfortune people.

Careful now....some will take offense that you want to see him injured.:whistle:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how to be more clear I'm afraid. He is saying minorities are being opressed on a massive level. I don't see evidence of that honestly and he could be a poster boy for an argument against it as well. So I believe his stand is a direct contrast to what I perceive to be true in this country.
O.K., I understand now. I thought you were taking issue with something else.
You are also correct that we can agree to disagree on this point. :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
@Northeast Stinger
As for your comparisons to other minority athletes in history. I see a pretty big difference in Kap and some you cited, most notably Ali. I don't recall Ali quoting or praising any convicted fugitive cop killers as Kap has done with Assata Shakur.
That is why I said you may not see Kap in the same light. But my point was that people were just as incensed at the time over what these other athletes did. Interestingly, my wife just sent me this link:
http://www.theroot.com/articles/cul...obinson-colin-kaepernick-star-bangled-banner/

This comports somewhat with my reading of black history as well as some of my memories. I remember that Ali at one point said he preferred the Viet Cong to the positions his own government was taking. He put his life and his career at stake to say things like that but is now remembered as one of America's greatest athletes and ambassadors for peace.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
May seem incongruent but I have a very different take on Robinson. I completely understand why he would feel that way. And I understand why every African American, every black person (those of Jamaican heritage for instance don't typically identify as African Americans) that lived through segregation would feel that way as well. He absolutely was discriminated against. He was treated in vile ways that have no defense. No American should ever have been treated in that manner. And the fact that the laws of this land supported that inequality and hate is shameful.

Colin Kapernick did not grow up in that era and our country today is vastly different.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I mean not trying to insert myself into this debate but the whole thread was started over you taking offense. Glass houses bro.

I don't take issue with any that disagree with me....other than disagreeing with them in turn. What I was referring to....which you apparently skipped over....was my use of the phrase slober knocked, and the subsequent accusation from a couple of folks that that phrase entailed a wish for injury....which it does not. Or maybe my reply to Stinger90 simply went over your head.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I don't take issue with any that disagree with me....other than disagreeing with them in turn. What I was referring to....which you apparently skipped over....was my use of the phrase slober knocked, and the subsequent accusation from a couple of folks that that phrase entailed a wish for injury....which it does not. Or maybe my reply to Stinger90 simply went over your head.
Oh no I understand.

You used a phrase that means something in your vocabulary and phrased it in a way that was difficult to interpret in the exact way you meant it. You're then making a joke that people seem to have been getting bent out of shape over something that you and others saw as harmless and casted that in a light that those people were being ridiculous.

All in a thread you created because you became bent out of shape over the actions of someone else that he and a lot of other people see as harmless.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@JacketFromUGA
Please share any source that defines slober knocker etc as anything other than what I previously posted. Any difficulty in interpreting that falls on those unfamiliar with the term. Unless you can show I used it inappropriately.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
and our country today is vastly different.
The argument would be that it is vastly different for some but not all. And again, the point of Kap having advantages is not the point either as it qualifies as secondary boycott, something you yourself have threatened if certain emblems are removed. But, yeah, I kind of predicted that this whole argument would revolve around whether Kap is a different case than all the other people of color who have done the same thing.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'll take the dissenting military opinion here. He has the right to freedom of speech regardless of how distasteful I believe is temper tantrum to be (if that's what it was). That being said, he claims to have a deeply seated opinion that minorities are immensely oppressed in the US. Well, best I can tell he's involved with 1 charity which is more than some people but not as many as others. Best I can tell it has nothing to do with improving the lives of minorities, civil rights advances, etc so I have to question his conviction. He makes a ton of money. Has he given any to orphanages, women & children shelters, etc? Has he funded before after school programs so youngsters that have difficult family lives or circumstances can succeed in school? He works half the year, has to "work out" the other half. What is he doing with his time? I work 65+ hours a week all year & find time to volunteer for my charities of choice. I don't see any evidence of that, but maybe he keeps a low profile- not a good move because I think he should leverage his celebrity status to encourage others to participate but maybe he's shy.

My conclusion is he's a spoiled, uneducated brat. His parents gave him an important life lesson & gift when they adopted him. He doesn't get it therefore he's incapable of understanding what it means to contribute to your community when you have the right not to. I feel sorry for him. I used to hope he succeeded because he didn't come up thru the Power 5 factory pipeline where NFL'ers are supposed to come from. He blew it. He could have hired a PR guy to script his message to make it effective. Guys like me don't have press conferences. We use social interactions and occasional meetings at work to promote community outreach. Instead this youngster behaved like a juvenile & now nobody will ever listen to him again.

I hope he loses his job. If I pulled a stunt like he did at work where I put my employer on the spot like he did and generated negative press, I'd be in serious hot water. Put me in the pile of voting with my pocketbook as it's the real only leverage I've got.

God Bless America & Go Jackets!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
CrSnCXvW8AA7pxv.jpg

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
America: Kaepernick has every right to say and do what he is doing whether anyone agrees with him or not. With that, comes everyone else’s including Whiskey’s right to voice their opinion on the matter. I have no issue with anything Kaepernick is doing nor any issue with Whiskey’s right to be pissed off at him. Personally I don’t think he’s doing anything positive and just causing more racial tension in this country that wasn’t there to begin with. I believe if he wants to protest then he at least needs to do something proactive elsewhere because he has all the means and funds necessary to do so and I’ve seen nothing so far of him doing so.

Normally I’m a glass half full kind of guy but when read some of the comments on the internet about this it kind of makes you realize how racist a lot of people are (both white and black).

My final thing to add is regardless of this whole stupid situation, Russell Wilson won.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Cut Deandre Smelter but keep thug *** Colin Kapernick. Chip Kelly's makes stupid personnel moves just look what he did in Philly