Kaepernick

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am not sold on his explanation. If you are going to protest as a celebrity and try to make a difference, I would think that you would announce your intentions before acting. He didn't announce that he was upset and determined to make a difference until he was asked about not standing. If he had announced that he was going to protest for a cause after being in the Super Bowl, he would have had a larger voice. As of now, even without controversy, he might not be in the NFL after next week. That leads me to believe that it is quite possible that he wants to believe he is cut for controversy and not erosion of skills.
Interesting idea. I had not considered the possibility that he was washed up as a player.

I found this interesting for a different reason. It made me want to go back and look at the history of Black athletes protesting against the system. I could think of several off the top of my head, Jack Johnson, John Carlos, Tommie Smith, Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, etc, and I thought about the death threats, vilification and denunciations that followed in almost every case at the time but how with a few decades of hindsight they became heroes. Not suggesting that one day Kaepernick will be thought of the same way, but wondering if there is any insight in the heat of the moment we might glean from this or whether, like with all the others, we will have to wait until the hot heads cool off to put it in perspective.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Interesting idea. I had not considered the possibility that he was washed up as a player.

I found this interesting for a different reason. It made me want to go back and look at the history of Black athletes protesting against the system. I could think of several off the top of my head, Jack Johnson, John Carlos, Tommie Smith, Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, etc, and I thought about the death threats, vilification and denunciations that followed in almost every case at the time but how with a few decades of hindsight they became heroes. Not suggesting that one day Kaepernick will be thought of the same way, but wondering if there is any insight in the heat of the moment we might glean from this or whether, like with all the others, we will have to wait until the hot heads cool off to put it in perspective.

You do know that his parents are WHITE, who adopted him because his POS father abandoned him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So because a professional football player didn't stand during the National Anthem, you desire for him to get injured. Says more about you than it does about him.
  1. It's Colin's absolute right to not stand during the national anthem
  2. Suggesting that he should go to another country is absurd - if he really wanted to do that, he would have. Instead he cares enough about the country to provide feedback and expect better
  3. The US is not perfect, deal w/ that - there is plenty room for improvement in a LOT of ways
Are you really upset that he didn't stand during the national anthem or did you just want the credit of starting a controversial thread? It's funny how some people react to a professional football player's personal protest with little political influence when other politicians have claimed that the President of the United States is in collusion with anti-US terrorist organizations.

We all love this country and we all have family members that have served this country in a number of ways (including Colin). Can the man get a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T??!

To begin with I don't give a damn what you feel about me or my opinion. But I will clarify a few things since you have decided to mischaracterize what I did say. And respect....that has to be earned from me good sir and no I won't give that pos any.

Sorry to inflame your sensitivity but I never said I wanted to see him get injured. What I said was slober knocked. It's a part of football. If that is too violent for your sensitivities may I recommend a non contact sport that might be more appealing to you?

I also never said he should leave the country. I said he was free to leave if he felt so oppressed. If you think his visible show of disrespect to the flag, that so many have given the ultimate sacrifice for, is commendable....well quite frankly I feel sorry for you. I have a lot of friends and coworkers who did serve. They lost brothers in Somalia, Iraq, and Afghanistan. I can tell you I don't know one that respects kapernucklehead one bit.

I never said the U.S. is or ever has been perfect. It's a damn sight better than any that have come before it. And anyone that disagrees is stupid to stay here. Deal with that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I disagree with you on multiple. And I don't want to get into a shouting match with you. I can tell that this means a lot to you, and that standing during the national anthem is equivalent to respecting those who serve in the military. That's fair. However, does it not also means standing for American and its way(s) of life. If someone on the principle of conscience finds a certain aspect of what has come to be acceptable about a certain aspect of the American way of life to be against freedom, is it not morally and constitutionally his/her duty as Americans to stand (or in this case sit) in protest against it. Historically, this voice of descent has been a powerful and necessary aspect of the American way of life and has led to tremendous and positive change. Wishing someone ill-will because they find aspects of American culture as oppressive and against freedom, seems more un-American to me than what Kaepernick has done. He is not against American, if anything he wants to make American even better than it is.

I do agree he has the right to sit it out. I don't have to respect him for it and I do think he's probably a pos. And I'm equally free to voice my displeasure with any companies that use him to market or endorse products. As for ill will....again...are you guys football fans? I want to see our opposing players slober knocked by our D (or blockers on O) even when I like them any other day of the week. I've cheered many a such play with damn near every other Tech fan in the stands. Maybe y'all have a different definition of that term than I do.

Last edited:

savjacket9

Georgia Tech Fan
Your use of slobberknocked did come across to me as the other team aiming to injure, so if you simply mean football play then let it be...but the way it is worded sounds vindictive. Also you do have the right to disagree with him, I don't think that anyone is against that, it was that by using slobberknocked as you did it sounded as though he should be injured for his views. I love football and big hits but i don't want anyone getting hurt, or targeted for their personal views. Also if you are concerned that is actions are disrespectful to those who serve I would encourage you to read his interview where he states his support for our troops, while still having issue with other systematic aspects of American culture.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I heard what he had to say. And I've seen his support for other issues I disagree with him on. I've seen enough to be fairly well convinced he's simply an ignorant athlete and not much else. I'm not gonna waste my time listening to his garbage further. But I hope his stance and stated beliefs cause him to lose whatever endorsement income he makes. Is that vindictive of me? Yeah, I'll own that.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
I heard what he had to say. And I've seen his support for other issues I disagree with him on. I've seen enough to be fairly well convinced he's simply an ignorant athlete and not much else. I'm not gonna waste my time listening to his garbage further. But I hope his stance and stated beliefs cause him to lose whatever endorsement income he makes. Is that vindictive of me? Yeah, I'll own that.

You sure wasted your time writing this post on someone that's so ignorant. You seem angry...maybe even hangry, go eat a Snicker's.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

You seem to have a cool head regarding the issue. I'd enjoy an explanation putting his take "in perspective". I do value your insights even when I disagree with you.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
From your question I presume you disagree with my opinion. Ok.... I'll play if you will. How do you find him to be particularly enlightened?

As to your question. In large part due to the choice he made in how to "speak out". For one....he did so, sitting out the anthem, without making any prior exclamation regarding his issue or issues of contention. A reporter had to ask him about it. How exactly does that effectively communicate his grievance? You might say the controversy it created was a brilliant way to express it. No, that controversy would be present even if he had a press conference to explain himself before sitting. For another, the choice he used to express himself which is an offense to those who served, as I explained previously. then there are his tweets. I don't do Twitter but I did read an article detailing many of his tweets and the manner in which they have evolved.

All of the above pretty indicative to me of his ignorance. So.....what is it about him you find so enlightening?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Oh yeah...I forgot to mention the ironical ignorance of the multi millions he has made, as a minority, in this country. The very same country that he apparently believes is the offender in the mass oppression of minorities. Billions of people around the world wish they could be so "oppressed."

savjacket9

Georgia Tech Fan
Well as you have deduced I do agree with him in some regard. I'm not too bothered by the manner in which he decided to protest. I'm not sure of his exact rational. It could have been just a personal stance that to be true to his own convictions on the state of certain aspects of the American culture on race and racial equality he decided to sit. I am not a public figure so I am not sure how I would handle the matter to be honest.

I do not really acknowledge the national anthem myself. I do not disrespect those who serve, I have friends and family who have or are currently serving in different branches of the armed forces. Personally, in that regard my issues are with certain actions made by those in charge not with those that have chosen to serve and are following orders, although that is not why I don't acknowledge it. I am a Christian and my conviction is that my allegiance (patriotism in a manner of speaking) is to Christ alone. America is not my great hope. It's done some great things and some absolutely horrible things. So personally i am trying to figure out what being a Christian in an American context means to me still.

On the issue of racial inequality, i believe that it still exist. It is an extremely complex topic and while the laws are obviously in a far better place than 50 years ago, there is still racial profiling that continues both in law enforcement and business, etc. I think that it is mostly on the subconscious level and it makes it much harder to address, but I do not think that that means it does not need to be raised. I think that most people in law enforcement are probably good people, but there is still plenty of evidence that there is a race issue in this country.

In regards to a minority that has done well and feeling oppressed, I am a caucasian male so I do not have the first hand experience that many minorities have had. But I have friends who are black, and who are hispanic. They have varying degrees of education and income, and the majority of them can/have told me stories of times that they were profiled by people (strangers) because of the color of their skin. That is there experience. I cannot ignore that. Racism is still around. Is it less than 50 years ago? Yes generally i think so (I'm not that old). But the fact that it still exist needs to be dealt with. So if Colin Kaepernick has been persuaded by the evidence of his own life experience, and the evidence present in American culture at large, and he decides to protest more power to him. This appears to be the first time that he has protested anything and if he did not handle it in the best manner possible, I think we should cut him a break. He is standing up for what he believes in and I find that to be admirable.

Sorry for the long post.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As to putting your hand over your heart, it's what I was taught and it's in the Federal Code Title 36 since 1998 apparently. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

I appreciate the civil tone of dialogue here. There are a lot of problems in our country that should be talked about and worked on in a civil manner. I'm conflicted about this and will leave it at that.