Justin Thomas

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Damn the SEC is unreal, Josh Robinson for Miss St turned pro and STILL has a better chance to win the Heisman next year than anyone from the ACC...just damn.

I see what you did there. The enduring image of Robinson in his last college game was sitting on the sideline, looking like a truck hit him, and it was only a GT defensive back. it's possible that this one tackle, more than anything else, woke people up to the fact GT can compete at the highest level.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Great! Now we'll kill them with the dive and the pitch :D
Which is kind of what we did to those teams. I remember several of us saying on other sites that those games in which JT got few yards were text book examples of a team player who made everyone else on the team look that much better. Kind of like a point guard who didn't score many points but set up everyone else to score big.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
Which is kind of what we did to those teams. I remember several of us saying on other sites that those games in which JT got few yards were text book examples of a team player who made everyone else on the team look that much better. Kind of like a point guard who didn't score many points but set up everyone else to score big.

To me the most exciting part of Thomas' play is how he really runs the TO and in particular reads the b-back give on the base TO. Midway through the season it seemed like the percentage of true TO plays as opposed to designated gives or keeps went through the roof. In the OB I recall only a handful of TO plays but after those first few successful plays MSU was basically run blitzing outside the tackle to stop the keep and pitch and of course that resulted in the second half b-back dive beat down as they kept running themselves upfield out of the play.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was fairly obvious as the season progressed that defenses put a target on his back, and if the goal was to limit his yards, maybe to that extent it kind of worked. It was the rest of it that kind of fell apart for defenses. Making him hold on to the ball is not a bad tactic in a perfect world, but then MSU might have an opinion.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
By m
Four teams held JT to under 50 yds rushing. Everyone will be keying on him from now on.
By my count (just looked up the boxscore stats) we were 5-1 in games that JT finished under 50 yards rushing. In the loss (UNC) we put up a ton of yards and points. So this may not be the elixir that some teams might think. Gotta love the concept of the option!

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
By m

By my count (just looked up the boxscore stats) we were 5-1 in games that JT finished under 50 yards rushing. In the loss (UNC) we put up a ton of yards and points. So this may not be the elixir that some teams might think. Gotta love the concept of the option!

Weren't we 5-1 when JT was over 50 yards also? Has to be frustrating for a DC :)

Texaswreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Per Ohio State you need a competent number two and maybe number three QB- after Byerly came into Duke game it got close/ who is number 3? This offense is tough on QB so plan B & C are important.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It is awesome to be seeing the 3O ran the way it is meant to be. Even better though (IMHO) is seeing the wrinkles CPJ keeps flexing. It makes it almost impossible to prepare for - knowing whatever you get really good at stopping we will move away from. Shut us down in the middle, we go outside; shut down the stretch plays we hammer the BBack; sell out to cover the run and we hit you with a pitch, rocket toss or just throw the thing down field.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
It is awesome to be seeing the 3O ran the way it is meant to be. Even better though (IMHO) is seeing the wrinkles CPJ keeps flexing. It makes it almost impossible to prepare for - knowing whatever you get really good at stopping we will move away from. Shut us down in the middle, we go outside; shut down the stretch plays we hammer the BBack; sell out to cover the run and we hit you with a pitch, rocket toss or just throw the thing down field.
....Crowd the box and bam TD pass....

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This may not really go here... I was replaying the MSU game the other night and came across a pass I remember marveling at when watching live. It was a medium length pass to the right sideline, probably to Waller. There was a defender in front of our receiver and one behind. Justin threw a rainbow which floated over the first defender then dropped into our receivers hands. It tickles me to no end to think we have a quarterback who on top of everything else he can do can throw a touch pass like that, and for two more years.