Justin Thomas

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
The second fumble in the mutt game was him trying to do too much for the situation, too. I think next time he'll throw it away much sooner. I think there's plenty of room for him to grow, but I love where he's at right now.
The only two really bad plays I can recall that JT made all season were the two interceptions on the sideline where the throw-away pass was not high enough to get out of bounds....a mistake I doubt he makes again. Overall he performed like a seasoned senior IMO.
I think that Justin did this kind of thing on pass plays several more times as well but we only remember the interceptions. He also had a few near ones and very dangerous incompletions. However, I think they were more common earlier in the season and then went away and only kind of popped up intermittently a few times in the last and most challenging games. In a related manner early on there were a few times in these kind of rollout situations that he needed to tuck and run and get what yards he could sooner and give up on forcing a pass downfield. Again, he improved on that aspect of decision making as the season went on.

I am confident he will make another leap in progress next season through dedicated film study and practicing those kind of situations in the spring and summer.

In hindsight I can be "glad" (in a manner of speech**) that he had the so-called fumbles in the UGA game and got down on himself on the sideline. Having his confidence shaken in a victory had to be a good thing for him psychologically. He also had Synjyn and other seniors in his ear to see him through that. And he had Butker and White to make sure he got through it as one of the best team wins he is likely to have.

**My actual rage and bile-flecked spittle at that point in the game--towards the refs, the SEC, UGA and everything related at the thought that our first-year starting QB phenom would permanently have his confidence shaken, and could end up with the "yips," if the universe (I devolve to pantheim when enraged) allowed the lesser and weaker team (UGA) to win that game in that manner--knew no bounds.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think he will also improve throwing on the roll out. He wasn't bad at it, but did struggle making some pretty easy throws on the roll out in certain games (think first half at UGA). That is a real nit pick though. Love the kid!
Those, though the ball through Days's hands against MSU was easily catchable by a receiver, and despite the throw to Waller in the end zone, he still has trouble hitting deep sideline patterns on the fly. But just think: between now and next season he has spring and fall practice.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I like all of these comments so much I may just have to go back and watch the Orange Bowl again.
He..!
I am retired so even though went to game and I have now have watched replay in slow mo 4 times.
Wish I could find the overhead movable camera replay that was on espn.
Think I saw on the acc game - awsome view of offense line.
My Wife is getting a little nervous about me So if anyone has it please post!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I can remember seeing this year for the first time ever was the QB reverse, or counter QB draw, or whatever you want to call it. I think the others have been tried at different times, even if not sustained with regularity. We used to run a counter draw with the handoff going to Dwyer because he was the better runner (between he and Nesbitt). In this case, JT is the better runner (between he and any of our BBs) so he gets to keep the draw play. It is not that huge of a variation.

With all this said, I think you are right, JT has been trusted with a lot. We have seen a lot of plays return under him this last half of the season.
You know, it finally occurred to me. That kind of slippery little counter-look play when the handoff is faked to one back and then quickly handed off to another is kind of remindful of the old crossbuck of split T days. A clever little twist.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He..!
I am retired so even though went to game and I have now have watched replay in slow mo 4 times.
Wish I could find the overhead movable camera replay that was on espn.
Think I saw on the acc game - awsome view of offense line.
My Wife is getting a little nervous about me So if anyone has it please post!
So tell me if you agree with my completely uninformed curbstone opinion that the MSU read option looked slow and ponderous and in fact save for a couple of defensive players the entire team seemed to lack the vaunted SEC speed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So tell me if you agree with my completely uninformed curbstone opinion that the MSU read option looked slow and ponderous and in fact save for a couple of defensive players the entire team seemed to lack the vaunted SEC speed.

Yes - it is always slow because it is based runs using NFL zone blocking ( legalized holding while moving as a group).
If no run then the quick pass using NFL pass blocking ( legalized holding while forming a pocket). All based on wrestling and who has the better talent.
This game we forced the qb to pass by stopping runs up middle first ( green sacraficed slants rush for possible backfield tackles and sacks because he used great run lane and pass rush discipline ) which forced the RB to go sideways for moderate gain . Their holding was good and we could not get to qb and he hit mid and short range passes but missed many longer passes which would have been a killer. . What made him look slow to me was he would take forever lock on to a recievers and force the play . he should have quickly adjusted and fired a quick pass to a wide open reciever. Qb was not cam newton 2.0

For fast
Also go to baylor games - they have wide gap oline, place two wide outs on sideline - who go long on every play, slot receivers who stretch the strong safety lb , one back who runs if not enough defenders in box or goes out for pass. They try to score on every play . They run play then run back into formation and go again making you defend the entire field until they find the week length.

Or watch GT!
The gt formation could easily morph into the baylor formation - would be hall arias if byerly was ready to do the air raid,

Go jackets

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After you go to the link, look for the "Watch Replay" link which is blue. It started playing for me just now.

THANKS
Ipad no worky but laptop and a few clicks and you have made an old timer happy.
Bride will think I am working on laptop in office!
Can't wait to see the ever increasing ol play as well as ever increasing defensive pressure!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes - it is always slow because it is based runs using NFL zone blocking ( legalized holding while moving as a group).
If no run then the quick pass using NFL pass blocking ( legalized holding while forming a pocket). All based on wrestling and who has the better talent.
This game we forced the qb to pass by stopping runs up middle first ( green sacraficed slants rush for possible backfield tackles and sacks because he used great run lane and pass rush discipline ) which forced the RB to go sideways for moderate gain . Their holding was good and we could not get to qb and he hit mid and short range passes but missed many longer passes which would have been a killer. . What made him look slow to me was he would take forever lock on to a recievers and force the play . he should have quickly adjusted and fired a quick pass to a wide open reciever. Qb was not cam newton 2.0

For fast
Also go to baylor games - they have wide gap oline, place two wide outs on sideline - who go long on every play, slot receivers who stretch the strong safety lb , one back who runs if not enough defenders in box or goes out for pass. They try to score on every play . They run play then run back into formation and go again making you defend the entire field until they find the week length.

Or watch GT!
The gt formation could easily morph into the baylor formation - would be hall arias if byerly was ready to do the air raid,

Go jackets
Speaking of holding. Each time I watch the replay I see more holding by MSU that I did not see before. Kallon was held several times, as were Rook-Chagong and Simmons. Seemed like MSU got away with it against the younger or less experienced players.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You are welcome. Listen up for the players and sideline noise, too. You will hear Miss State #50 talking junk and we just blow him up.
Yea, I heard him blah, blah, look at me when he stopped laskey on 2 nd down for 2 yds to make 3 and 1 . He stood over laskey and mason gave him some back then coach called the J5T off left guard for twenty yard TD. In your face mr 50.

By way Braun is very good and could be a stud next year. He is agile, hostiland mobile

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
He's got Heisman talent, hands down. The issue is that option gives/pitches don't count in statistics, and statistics are a big part of the Heisman race. I'm not saying they *should* count because it's so difficult to know when there's a called play vs. a true triple-O. It's just one of those quirky disadvantages a Flexbone QB faces in the personal accolade dept.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I

In hindsight I can be "glad" (in a manner of speech**) that he had the so-called fumbles in the UGA game and got down on himself on the sideline. Having his confidence shaken in a victory had to be a good thing for him psychologically. He also had Synjyn and other seniors in his ear to see him through that. And he had Butker and White to make sure he got through it as one of the best team wins he is likely to have.
]

This is a great point and another way in which this year "came together" as compared to others. JT has a cool demeanor but no doubt he was wanting desperately to beat UGA for the seniors and himself and after 2 gut wrenching turnovers had to be struggling internally. Thankfully he was surrounded by senior running backs who were exceptional team players and leaders. I believe that the often referred to "resilience" of this team was largely due to that group. The "under fire" experience that JT and the team received this year will no doubt serve us well next year when difficult times occur and current leaders have graduated. They now know that both the system works and that we can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In fairness Josh Robinson declared for the NFL Draft before the Orange Bowl. Maybe now he's having second thoughts after seeing real competition.

333ORANGE0101%20FUMBLE%20CTJ.JPG

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting...Heisman odds for Cardale Jones are higher than Braxton Miller's and JT Barrett. They predicting Jones is the starting QB next year?