Justin Thomas and the offense

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
In all honestly I know some fans are jaded about last season. Should we have beaten the bullpups..yes, should we have performed better in the bowl, yes. To me there is light at the end of the tunnel. I really feel with Justin Thomas, Zach Laskey (who is way better then David Simms in my opinion) and Travis Custis (one of the top if not the top RB in the state of GA) I really see this offense taking off.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He is going to run the triple so much faster than what we've seen so far, if he truly understands it, makes good reads and has decent ball security then its going to be amazing to behold and fun to watch again

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly UgaBlows. What do most teams that play us complain about. They complain about mimicking the speed of the option in practice. With Justin Thomas and his legit 4.3 speed I do not see how teams can practice for that type of game speed. Also bet on CPGA to start calling more plays that he called with Nesbitt and Tevin in the offense. Last season with a Vad at QB we were not calling so many lead option plays and counter option plays that we called with those two mentioned above. I really feel that our offense is about to be explosive again.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I think the key is going to be more about the play of the O-line. If G-C-G can control the middle of the d-line then we will be fine no matter who is in the backfield. I know JT will be the leader going into spring but what is the chance somebody passes him? I like the speed at which the option runs with him leading it, as well as his speed when he turns the corner, but don't know if he can hold up to the pounding. Any chance with MJ early enroll able to push him. I like his size and looks like he can throw the ball.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
From what i saw at the spring game His speed is awesome in all ranges- 1st gear low end all the way through steps, and wide open downfield 5th gear......he hauls ***

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
TampaGT I couldn't agree more about the guard Center guard gap control. I could've sworn I read on the AJC last season that Freddie Burden Who was the backup center from Statesboro Georgia was pushing Jay Finch for starting minutes at the center position. He's 6'3 295, Also we have Thomas O'Reilly a former Auburn transfer 6'3 310, And we have Shamir divine and Chris Griffin who are both 6'6 300+ and redshirted last year. All mentioned above were highly touted high school offense of lineman. I really think CPJ is getting back to bigger linemen which he had when he first arrived at Georgia Tech from Chan Gailey's recruits. I really think having those big lineman although little slower running this offense can just mash defenses all game long.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
he is going to dissapear behind those big hawgs too......defensive guys are gonna be like where the hell is the ball?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hope you guys are right about JT...I know he is fast; I know he will make mostly good decisions on the option, but I just don't see how someone 170 lbs can hold up to the hits he will need to take running the O we ran when Nesbitt was the QB.....I sure hope I am wrong, wrong, and wrong......

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Vad Lee was a good guy and great ambassador, but lets be honest he really didn't fit into the offense at all. Vad leaving might have been the biggest blessing ever. It allows Justin Thomas to step in and I think flourish in this offense. CPJ recruited a guy to Navy a few years ago named Ricky Dobbs and he was one of the best QBs ever at Navy statistically. He was 5'11 195 so it can be done. Plus he didn't have the 4.3 speed that Justin Thomas has.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Vad Lee was a good guy and great ambassador, but lets be honest he really didn't fit into the offense at all. Vad leaving might have been the biggest blessing ever. It allows Justin Thomas to step in and I think flourish in this offense. CPJ recruited a guy to Navy a few years ago named Ricky Dobbs and he was one of the best QBs ever at Navy statistically. He was 5'11 195 so it can be done. Plus he didn't have the 4.3 speed that Justin Thomas has.

The key item in this post is in bold ab0ve, and he probably ended up at more like 205-210.....JT is NOT that.....If he could add 15-20 lbs. of muscle, maybe.....But, again, I hope you guys are right.....JT is currently around 5'9" with a weight of under 180......unless something has drastically changed.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
AlabamaBuzz I understand that JT isn't in the 200 lbs range and he probably won't be ever. One, that will take away from his game. Two I've walked beside him and he's legit 5'11, but that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Also we've never had this type of speed at QB before. JT could be really explosive in this offense. Plus our oline will now be bigger at G-C-G positions. We all saw what having a lack of push in those gaps can do to an offense. Thomas O'Reily who transferred from Auburn is 6'3 310, Freddie Burden who was blowing up practice before he was hurt is 6'3 295 at center. Also Shamire Devine and Chris Griffin are both 6'6 300 plus. I really think we will generate more push in those gaps this season. You need push in those positions for this offense to be effective.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What will be day and night different is how DE's will play the pitch option. With Vad, they could 'slow play' it and basically cover the qb and pitchback simultaneously. Vad was so indecisive, it worked and worked well. Well not anymore. First of all, JT attacks the pitch key. If the pitch key tries to play both guys, he toast. And when both of those guys are fast as hell, it's time to strike up the band!

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
No way is JT 5'11. If he's 5'11 I'm 6'1. Met him in Nashville and had my picture taken with him. With that being said I like how this BIG OL will be able to hide JT on the option. Trying to temper my expectations but I'm looking forward to the 14 season.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
^^^^ This. Vad was so indecisive and his athletic ability could not be shown because of his indecisive decision making. Like mentioned above JT attacks the pitch key and has speed.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
AlabamaBuzz I understand that JT isn't in the 200 lbs range and he probably won't be ever. One, that will take away from his game. Two I've walked beside him and he's legit 5'11, but that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Also we've never had this type of speed at QB before. JT could be really explosive in this offense. Plus our oline will now be bigger at G-C-G positions. We all saw what having a lack of push in those gaps can do to an offense. Thomas O'Reily who transferred from Auburn is 6'3 310, Freddie Burden who was blowing up practice before he was hurt is 6'3 295 at center. Also Shamire Devine and Chris Griffin are both 6'6 300 plus. I really think we will generate more push in those gaps this season. You need push in those positions for this offense to be effective.
Shaq Mason will be one of those pushers and nobody on our team is going to be better than him. We have to find a replacement for Will Jackson at the other spot. Trey Braun has the lead as he was the starter there for several games while Jackson moved to OT due to injury out there. Devine will compete for that spot and obviously has the edge in size, but Braun is a good player in his own right and has the edge in experience and will be tough to unseat.

Center is what I worry about. I think if O'Reilly is playing center next year, we're in trouble. We need Burden to be the answer, but that is far from certain. Nobody can know how he's going to come back from that injury. He may never be back at that level again. Maybe he can get back to where he was. But, we need someone else to move to that position to solidify it. Maybe a freshman can come in and compete right away (like maybe Marshall) - that would make me feel a little better. Or maybe one of our vets can move over and be a dependable option. I wouldn't mind seeing one of our DE's move over (like Chungong maybe) and try to make an impact at this position as DE is about to become a very crowded position with the new guys coming in. Center is a very precarious situation and one I will be most worried about going into the fall.

At OT, we've got Chase Roberts and Bryan Chamberlain back, which gives us good experience. Ideally, somebody like Chris Griffin can beat one of them out and be an upgrade and a 4 year starter.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hope JT puts on about 10 - 15 lbs before next season, but I don't see that as dispositive. Reynolds, the current – and absolutely deadly – Middie QB is listed at 5'11" and 185. If JT gets to 180, I'll be happy. I doubt that would effect his speed one bit.

The main thing is if JT can do what Reynolds does so well: pass off play action. Reynolds can read Ds like an open book. Let's hope JT can do the same. And, of course, that he learns to tuck in the ball.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
JT shows lots of promise as an option QB, but oh, he's small for someone who takes the hits an option QB does. I think he and the offense will really light it up, right up to the instant some Kam Chancellor-sized safety nails him and puts him on the shelf for several games. Hope I'm wrong. He's scary fast, but some of the top shelf FCS defensive player are just plan scary.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT shows lots of promise as an option QB, but oh, he's small for someone who takes the hits an option QB does. I think he and the offense will really light it up, right up to the instant some Kam Chancellor-sized safety nails him and puts him on the shelf for several games. Hope I'm wrong. He's scary fast, but some of the top shelf FCS defensive player are just plan scary.
He got creamed by a Miami DE from the blindside and popped right up.

By the way, they didn't call Joe Hamilton "Lil Joe" for nothing. He was 5'10" 189 as a sr.