Justin Fuente gave us that one!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I am grateful that he did but if I were a Hokie fan, I would be spitting nails over the way he let the last VT drive play out. Third and one inside our 30 yard line with almost 2 minutes left in the game and he throws a pass to get the first down. Incomplete, and not even close really. Now he has a time out to think about the 4th down and the best he can come up with is to go for the kill shot with a bomb down the middle?

We really would have had trouble stopping that big QB on two runs to gain one yard. They had plenty of time and timeouts left. I just think he let his team down making those decisions.

I also think those actions may cost him a shot at moving up a notch to a school that may be evaluating him for the head position. Personally, I hope he stays at VPI and continues to make bone head decisions like that, especially when playing GT.

Go Jackets!

He is a good coach. He clearly explained in the post game conference that he felt like GT was stacking the LOS and there was little choice but to go for it on both downs. Personally, I would have run on third down. Heavens, if you can't get a first down running the ball with McMillan your best back what does that say about confidence in your offensive line? But then I see, Lawrence Austin run blitzing with Mitchell and Alexander closing the gaps and I understand why he did it. If Lawrence or is was it Lance? Never mind, never can keep them straight makes any penetration it is over. He does not miss tackles. You had your most physical, best receiver in Cam Phillips matched up man to man in press coverage with an untried freshman why not take a shot on fourth down? I can tell you that the situation on fourth down did not look good for running the ball.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Bud Foster would be a good head coaching candidate for Ole Miss;)
Ole Miss, Tennessee, South Dakota, Hawaii, anywhere but the ACC so we don't have to face him anymore. While you are at it see if you can find a spot for Venables. It is time he was moving on as well.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
we gave UT, Miami, and Virginia games in that case. It's called football. And like another poster said, we almost gave it to them when we had a chop block and didn't score when in the red zone.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Fuente did give this game to us. He couldn't figure out how to score more than 16 points against our Defense. That will usually cost you a ball game.

He also couldn't stop big plays. That will usually cost you a ball game.

Parsing a couple of play calls at the end is ridiculous. Even had he made the first down, he was running out of time and needed a touchdown to score. I mean, it's not like our D is capable of getting a turnover on downs in the Red Zone. Oh, wait, we did that earlier in the game.

I am so tired of these kinds of posts. It's disingenuous for us to not only blame ourselves for all our losses, but also blame our opponents for all our wins as well...

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a real announcery thing to say, but I think we are a couple playmakers away from these wins. The ball tends to bounce in no one team's direction. We need a few more guys who can grab it.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not blaming anyone for anything. Just noting that I thought their Coach misplayed a big opportunity at that particular point in the game. Of course you could go back and second guess everything that happened but all of that led to that particular point in time and circumstance. They call that nut cutting time. I just think he mishandled a chance to win a game for his team. Now ain't that what these message boards are for. To express our opinion. You don't have to agree with it but thanks for the opportunity to express it.

Go Jackets!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Not blaming anyone for anything. Just noting that I thought their Coach misplayed a big opportunity at that particular point in the game. Of course you could go back and second guess everything that happened but all of that led to that particular point in time and circumstance. They call that nut cutting time. I just think he mishandled a chance to win a game for his team. Now ain't that what these message boards are for. To express our opinion. You don't have to agree with it but thanks for the opportunity to express it.

Go Jackets!

I agree with you to a great extent. I feel he should have gotten what should have been a rather easy first down but I can kind of understand his reasoning. In his press conference, he just did not have confidence in his running game to pound it down and wanted to take his shot then and there when he had the match up he wanted. Kerr was up to the challenge and made the play.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We stuffed VT on multiple short yardage plays Saturday. I think that had a lot to do with Fuentes decisions late.

IMO one drawback in snapping from the gun is it makes short yardage plays practically medium yard plays. 3rd and 2 almost becomes 3rd and 5. The running back or QB can't hit a hole at the snap and the D has just a little more time to read where the ball is designed to go.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey I’m with RedPete, they had one on one with VT best WR covered by a true freshman (I’m guessing a 2.5 star recruit), but our guy made a play. Really wouldn’t have been shocking for that to be the game winner and Fuentes looks smart and ballsy. I️ would have run on 3rd for sure though. [emoji219][emoji219][emoji219]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree with you to a great extent. I feel he should have gotten what should have been a rather easy first down but I can kind of understand his reasoning. In his press conference, he just did not have confidence in his running game to pound it down and wanted to take his shot then and there when he had the match up he wanted. Kerr was up to the challenge and made the play.

Everyone acts like it was a horrible play call. Guess what, VT couldn't run the ball on our D. We were stopping them cold. We were also getting lots of pressure on their QB. He was forced to call pass plays because he had no confidence he could gain a yard against our D. ANd in the end, that was a great matchup for DT. A future NFL WR in one on one coverage with a redshirt freshman. We made a great defensive play to seal the deal.

This is what frustrates me so much. So many on here harp when we play a great defensive game and get beat on a late miracle catch or a last minute TD, and said they'd be happy when GT's D could win the game on the final drive. Well, they did, but then the next thing you know, it wasn't good play by the D, but rather a bad call by the opposing coach. I hope our players don't read this insult, because that's exactly what this is. We're basically saying we can't play well enough on D to win unless the opposing coach screws up.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's not like they needed a FG to win and they just needed to improve their position with a first down. They needed to score a TD for sure. What guarantee did he have with their offense to finish even if they did run for a first down? I don't think time was even a factor in his brain, but rather, could they finish the drive? They had a good chance at a shot and had us bunched up front. Would they ever get us in that alignment again after the first down? Hind sight is 20/20, but I may have taken a shot too. We got beat against UVA with them taking shots before they needed to.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought at the time it was a bad call but I do see his logic of trying to take advantage of press coverage with his senior against our freshman. I just felt however that VT had the momentum, QB had not been accurate enough to count on his ability to hit a bomb and they had got back to rushing the ball effectively on us. Try it once maybe on 3rd down but not twice. However, I was expecting a short pass like a down and out or a turnaround but not the bomb. I do agree with the other post about we had blown the game. We led the whole way and were ready to salt it away with a 28-9 lead. After that, the momentum turned except 1 big play by us.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I thought at the time it was a bad call but I do see his logic of trying to take advantage of press coverage with his senior against our freshman. I just felt however that VT had the momentum, QB had not been accurate enough to count on his ability to hit a bomb and they had got back to rushing the ball effectively on us. Try it once maybe on 3rd down but not twice. However, I was expecting a short pass like a down and out or a turnaround but not the bomb. I do agree with the other post about we had blown the game. We led the whole way and were ready to salt it away with a 28-9 lead. After that, the momentum turned except 1 big play by us. we turned it right back to our side with a soul crushing 80 yd TD pass.

FIFY

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
b15845fbaed1749337153d0d7ed8752e.jpg

Animal02

Banned
It's not like they needed a FG to win and they just needed to improve their position with a first down. They needed to score a TD for sure. What guarantee did he have with their offense to finish even if they did run for a first down? I don't think time was even a factor in his brain, but rather, could they finish the drive? They had a good chance at a shot and had us bunched up front. Would they ever get us in that alignment again after the first down? Hind sight is 20/20, but I may have taken a shot too. We got beat against UVA with them taking shots before they needed to.
And had they opted for a field goal and then the one point conversions, they would have been down a point and only needed a field goal to win.........questionable choices throughout the game put VT in that position.

Animal02

Banned
'Sort of like CPJ going for two against UT.......sometimes it works out, sometimes you are the goat.