Justin Fuente gave us that one!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am grateful that he did but if I were a Hokie fan, I would be spitting nails over the way he let the last VT drive play out. Third and one inside our 30 yard line with almost 2 minutes left in the game and he throws a pass to get the first down. Incomplete, and not even close really. Now he has a time out to think about the 4th down and the best he can come up with is to go for the kill shot with a bomb down the middle?

We really would have had trouble stopping that big QB on two runs to gain one yard. They had plenty of time and timeouts left. I just think he let his team down making those decisions.

I also think those actions may cost him a shot at moving up a notch to a school that may be evaluating him for the head position. Personally, I hope he stays at VPI and continues to make bone head decisions like that, especially when playing GT.

Go Jackets!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I am grateful that he did but if I were a Hokie fan, I would be spitting nails over the way he let the last VT drive play out. Third and one inside our 30 yard line with almost 2 minutes left in the game and he throws a pass to get the first down. Incomplete, and not even close really. Now he has a time out to think about the 4th down and the best he can come up with is to go for the kill shot with a bomb down the middle?

We really would have had trouble stopping that big QB on two runs to gain one yard. They had plenty of time and timeouts left. I just think he let his team down making those decisions.

I also think those actions may cost him a shot at moving up a notch to a school that may be evaluating him for the head position. Personally, I hope he stays at VPI and continues to make bone head decisions like that, especially when playing GT.

Go Jackets!
A lot of angry Hokie fans are hoping Justin Fuente goes to Tennessee

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
A lot of angry Hokie fans are hoping Justin Fuente goes to Tennessee
And Hokie fans are being dumb. Fuentes is a good coach and they’ll be fine if they support him. They won 10 games and the Coastal last year and will likely have 10 wins this year. A nice improvement for taking over a school that went 7-6, 8-5, 7-6, and 7-6 the previous 4 years. He just needs to learn how to recruit at VT which he may already be doing ok. This is only his 2nd year. Pretty hard to run his system when his QB is terrible.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, really, we almost gave it to them. About to go up 28-9, then a chop block which leads to a missed FG. They go down and score, and then we throw a bonehead pick 6. When we retake the lead, we finally convert a two point conversion, only to be called back by a penalty. Then another penalty forces us to kick the XP. A lot of points left on the board, which goes back to almost every game, win or lose, this year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
And Hokie fans are being dumb. Fuentes is a good coach and they’ll be fine if they support him. They won 10 games and the Coastal last year and will likely have 10 wins this year. A nice improvement for taking over a school that went 7-6, 8-5, 7-6, and 7-6 the previous 4 years. He just needs to learn how to recruit at VT which he may already be doing ok. This is only his 2nd year. Pretty hard to run his system when his QB is terrible.
The Hokies message boards were Defcon 1 on Saturday:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
I wonder. It's why coaches get the big bucks. If either of those had hit we would be gnashing our teeth at another one get away. You know, what if that pooch kickoff by Alabama against Clemson in the NC game two years ago had been recovered by Clemson? A great call becomes "He gave it away," because there was no way Alabama could stop Clemson's offense.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
!

Whoa whoa now I just finished rewatching the 4th quarter and that last pass was not a bad play-call at all. VT saw a golden opportunity and went for it.

When the first lined up for 4th & 1 they were probably about to run it, but Fuentes called timeout because of how we lined up. They had their best guy Cam Phillips facing our freshman backup CB Ajani Kerr lined up one-on-one in press coverage to prevent a quick slant, with no safety help over the top. That's a recipe for Touchdown!

The pass flew in perfectly behind Kerr, so he had to make that amazing twisting backward left-hand stab at the ball at the last instant. Kerr came off the bench and made the game-winning play by the skin of his teeth!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I generally favor the moves he made early in the game, but getting stuffed on fourth and two inside our ten and going for two twice and not getting it either time were, shall we say, important. He gave up five points there. If I were a fan of theirs, I wouldn’t be upset because those decisions would pay off over a broad sample, but in small doses they really hurt his team.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Omg this whole discussion is ridiculous! Just like last year, we basically dominated, but VT made some [lucky] plays late to make the score appear closer than the game really was. Difference of course is this time they actually took the lead but Come on... Tech had just bulldozed them for a 12-play drive down to their 13 yard line, about to go up 28-9 and ice the game. Then the football gods granted VT a chop block, missed FG, miracle shoulda-been-intercepted catch on 3rd & 14, and then a shoulda-been-out-of-bounds pick-6! Kerr made up for it in the end but damn the Hokies should have lost by 20 and ought to thank their lucky stars they even had a chance in the 4th quarter at all!

Last edited:

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

Go Jackets!
Those 2 plays won Tech the game. The fans around us couldn't believe the calls but we will take the win, thank you very much!

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, it highlighted the difference between offensive schemes.

Fuente's defense of the call was that it was the best possible one-on-one matchup.
CPJ -- for better or worse -- defends his calls with "we had more guys than them if we execute". E.g. the UT final play.

I like fuente's offense and think UT would be lucky to get him. I also think VT is a better job than UT.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Whoa whoa now I just finished rewatching the 4th quarter and that last pass was not a bad play-call at all. VT saw a golden opportunity and went for it.

When the first lined up for 4th & 1 they were probably about to run it, but Fuentes called timeout because of how we lined up. They had their best guy Cam Phillips facing our freshman backup CB Ajani Kerr lined up one-on-one in press coverage to prevent a quick slant, with no safety help over the top. That's a recipe for Touchdown!

The pass flew in perfectly behind Kerr, so he had to make that amazing twisting backward left-hand stab at the ball at the last instant. Kerr came off the bench and made the game-winning play by the skin of his teeth!
Pete,
I didn't see the game.Who was Kerr replacing on DEf for that play?