Justin Fuente gave us that one!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And had they opted for a field goal and then the one point conversions, they would have been down a point and only needed a field goal to win.........questionable choices throughout the game put VT in that position.

Or, we might have blocked a FG, or they could have missed a FG. Or, maybe Fuente could have done a million other things. This idea that we can't beat VT, Miami, uga, or any other good team unless they screw up is tiresome, and insulting to our athletes.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Or, we might have blocked a FG, or they could have missed a FG. Or, maybe Fuente could have done a million other things. This idea that we can't beat VT, Miami, uga, or any other good team unless they screw up is tiresome, and insulting to our athletes.
Remember, they'll say there are no "moral victories" and only Win/Loss matters - unless you win...then they relish in what might be termed "moral losses."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Remember, they'll say there are no "moral victories" and only Win/Loss matters - unless you win...then they relish in what might be termed "moral losses."

This. I am positive that had we beaten VT 2-0 on a safety, there would be people griping that we should have forced the fumble to get a TD out of it, or that it was somehow VTs fault for not beating our D. Give credit where it's due. Our D played a heck of a game, and when we needed them to stop VT, they came through when a freshman DB broke up a sure TD to a future NFL WR. The right play was called: by the winning D.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am grateful that he did but if I were a Hokie fan, I would be spitting nails over the way he let the last VT drive play out. Third and one inside our 30 yard line with almost 2 minutes left in the game and he throws a pass to get the first down. Incomplete, and not even close really. Now he has a time out to think about the 4th down and the best he can come up with is to go for the kill shot with a bomb down the middle?

We really would have had trouble stopping that big QB on two runs to gain one yard. They had plenty of time and timeouts left. I just think he let his team down making those decisions.

I also think those actions may cost him a shot at moving up a notch to a school that may be evaluating him for the head position. Personally, I hope he stays at VPI and continues to make bone head decisions like that, especially when playing GT.

Go Jackets!
It was a stupid call but it worked out for us

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
b15845fbaed1749337153d0d7ed8752e.jpg

Great illustration proving football is a game of inches. This one play...so close to a win or loss for both teams. Great play by Kerr.

Animal02

Banned
I agree, that was not the intent of the post. Just that multiple decisions during a close game can alter what the final decision being made at the end of the game are. In this case, VT chose to chase points instead of taking the high percentage ones, as a result they were not in a position to take the "easy" ones at the end of the game (and how many games have we lost on the last play or two by a field goal in the last couple of years?)

PCJ made a comment about an earlier game and chasing points as well. Hinds sight is always 20/20

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree, that was not the intent of the post. Just that multiple decisions during a close game can alter what the final decision being made at the end of the game are. In this case, VT chose to chase points instead of taking the high percentage ones, as a result they were not in a position to take the "easy" ones at the end of the game (and how many games have we lost on the last play or two by a field goal in the last couple of years?)

PCJ made a comment about an earlier game and chasing points as well. Hinds sight is always 20/20

Very true. Multiple decisions and multiple plays determine the outcome of the game and dictates fan perception of all. Versus UT, UM, UVA we didn't make enough good plays to win and made too many negative ones to. Against VT we made enough good plays to overcome our negative ones and really controlled the game for the most part.

It's just what happens in close games but fans overly attribute coaching, talent levels, etc based on whether the result is a W or L.

Most of the criticism on the VT forum is unwarranted and displays a self belief in football expertise where actually a lack of football knowledge is present. Same occurs here.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Venables is a candidate for all the schools with head coaching vacancies except Florida.
Nah. There is some question with his personality and sideline excitability and again, his LB boy is arriving at Clemson. But would he get to bring along his Get Back Coach, and the Get Back Coach of the Year award Swinney gave him? He has minimal interest and questionable sideline presence for a HC. I could see a nay-sayer in the selection process showing video to the committee. It would make little difference to point out his players love playing for him with his all-out, attack all the time defense. (Interesting factoid: Clemson had five starters out on defense in the second half against FSU, and in one instance a redshirt freshman WR/KR playing CB. That's depth, but it's also coaching.) Plus, Swinney takes care of his assistants and staff and Clemson has the money.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Venables' and Foster's schemes look great when it's full of guys who can't be blocked. What helps them is they have pretty stout dudes on the inside and some speed on the edge. Va Tech hit us with a bunch of negative plays the other day but we still put up over 260 rushing on them. Not great and not as good as last year but still not bad, especially against one of the best FBS run Ds.