Justice Dingle in the portal

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
1. The Dline is so bad anyone has a solid chance to start with anotther offseason especially if Covid protocols are eased.

2. For a lot of schools would take a former 4 star athlete that was a MLB in high school that was pushed to be a large DE in college. He sheds some weight and he may be a stellar OLB in a 3-4 or at best a decent DE. Not every player jives with the school they pick or the new staff that comes on that didn't recruit them.

3. Name 3 guys on the Dline that would start at a VT, UNC, FSU, Miami. Shot name 2! Clayton might start, and Domineck MIGHT play in the rotation. He is shining here because we have no one else. Otherwise we have several unproven Redshirt freshmen and freshmen. As many injuries as we have seen we need depth for days. I'd say we need about 12-14 Dlinemen. Losing one that had some promise sucks. Ratings aren't everything, but to lose someone at a position of need is never good.

4. Griffin being our starting DT will not lead to a winning season. He is extremely undersized. Mike Lockhart is currently our only DT worth 2 cents. We lose Brooks and Owens. That leaves us Girffin, Lockhart, and maybe Stone. THAT WON'T CUT IT. I have zero faith in Griffin, and hope and pray Lockhart turns into a monster and doesn't get hurt. As he is the only DT that has proper size to play the position. Everyone else is under 280... In a defense where you play 5-6 DBs You shouldn't have a sub 300lb DT on the field at anytime.
What happened to all that hot shot recruiting I kept reading about? And that is not being snarky, It is a serious question. What the hell?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What happened to all that hot shot recruiting I kept reading about? And that is not being snarky, It is a serious question. What the hell?

Honestly and despite your qualifying remarks, I can't tell if you are trolling or being serious. I don't know if anyone can answer that question for at least 2 -3 more years. Especially in regards to lineman. I think you can get WR's and RB's that can show up on day 1 and stand out. With guys like Brown and Gibbs, we have seen that. I think even our QB it's a bit too early and too many confounding variables to make an effective judgement.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Honestly and despite your qualifying remarks, I can't tell if you are trolling or being serious. I don't know if anyone can answer that question for at least 2 -3 more years. Especially in regards to lineman. I think you can get WR's and RB's that can show up on day 1 and stand out. With guys like Brown and Gibbs, we have seen that. I think even our QB it's a bit too early and too many confounding variables to make an effective judgement.
Generally I think you are right. But the "portal" departures are more than a bit disconcerting because they require a real uptick in recruiting to replace them. and in the meantime we are treading water with building depth.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
If you have not noticed an uptick in recruiting since Collins has been here I don't know what to tell you. The 2020 and 2021 classes will both most likely be our highest rated since 2007 depending on how this one finishes.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Generally I think you are right. But the "portal" departures are more than a bit disconcerting because they require a real uptick in recruiting to replace them. and in the meantime we are treading water with building depth.
The guys leaving were not signed by this staff. This happens a lot after coaching changes especially when they see younger guys starting to get more reps. Certain players don't fit the scheme. I am not concerned because it does open up scholarships. Collins has shown a knack for both recruiting from high school but also bringing in transfers to fill the void. Hopefully this youth movement on the dline pans out. Time will tell.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
When I saw his HS tape, I saw DL (SDE) in his future. Especially in the spread era. Would've been a top notch MLB in the 80s and early 90s, but football has changed and the assignments are different.

Good luck to him in the future.

slugboy

Staff member
With Graham, I’d like to keep him as a backup option for this year and maybe move him to another position next year, but he’s not interested in that.
Some of our transfers were getting playing time, and that does hurt depth. Some weren’t, and if they aren’t young, it’s hard for me to see how that hurts depth.
I do want to see all our recruits succeed here and graduate here.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
It is being snarky, or at least impatient. We are 1 class and 1 yet to be signed away from the previous offense. The first year was basically just trying to grab a few guys since it was so late before he got started so I don’t really count it. You have to give it time. As others have said we will have our two best classes back to back in probably 20 years when this one is put to bed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
With Graham, I’d like to keep him as a backup option for this year and maybe move him to another position next year, but he’s not interested in that.
Some of our transfers were getting playing time, and that does hurt depth. Some weren’t, and if they aren’t young, it’s hard for me to see how that hurts depth.
I do want to see all our recruits succeed here and graduate here.

Graham is no longer on the football roster.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Please see what we’ve done in the portal and compare that to what we’ve lost.

Collins has brought in a good amount of highly rated talent through the portal. The only person we lost to the portal that hurt was Braun.

Would some of these guys be good for depth if they hung around? Sure. But let’s not act like we aren’t doing really well with the transfer situation.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve said before that the portal benefits teams like GT more than anyone which is why the factories are doing everything behind the scenes to end it. However, as much as the factories have controlled the NCAA in everything they haven‘t had success in shutting it down due to the sob stories and media backlash. The factories have basically been muted in public due to perception but in private they are doing everything to shut it down (Fields used the nuclear option and shut Kirby up real fast). You watch- when the NCAA creates whatever will be in place there will be some small print in there that benefits the ruling class. I hope the NCAA will finally have the guts to say 1 time transfer without sitting a year, but I have zero faith in that organization.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
If you have not noticed an uptick in recruiting since Collins has been here I don't know what to tell you. The 2020 and 2021 classes will both most likely be our highest rated since 2007 depending on how this one finishes.
For sure an uptick. Is it enough though to move the needle on the field? Is it just the beginning of this new level of recruiting or is this the ceiling?

Here's to hoping it's just the beginning.