Juanyeh at the Combine

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The bolded part of the comment drives me crazy. When kids leave Tech and go to other schools, it's because our coaching is bad, but when other kids leave their school to come to Tech it's because they weren't very good at their previous school. I sure you didn't mean it quite like that, but it seems to be a very common theme on this board.
No, I didn't mean it quite like that.

I'm saying that the fact that good schools value our players means they have talent, and if they underperformed here then maybe it was because they were not coached very well. These are the same players who had significant playing time here, yet some say are no big loss and are easily replaceable. These same players being valued by programs bigger and more successful than ours is a hint that their underperformance might have had something to do with bad coaching.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I think a team will take Thomas at a mid-round, get him to return kicks, and never ask him to do anything else. He's really good at it and is big enough to make the extra 3 - 4 yards after a hit. He would be a good SS, but he could be a great special teams player.

Good luck, Juanyeh!
Did Juanyeh return any kicks in 2021? I'm going to guess his return prowess is not worth a draft pick at this time.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Did Juanyeh return any kicks in 2021? I'm going to guess his return prowess is not worth a draft pick at this time.
No, he didn't. If there was a single thing that could show the sheer and complete incompetence of the present staff, that is it. My guess = the pros are looking at all the film. That'll settle it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Easy answer = Randy Rhino. You really don't need to be all that fast to return kicks effectively.
Kick return
Please graph the number of kick returns by year.
Imo, step drop when u can get granteed 25 yd by calling fair catch.
Plan A Never run it back and use practice time saved for juice.
Omg- I have triggered the fc fc fc

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes. You can easily get injured returning kickoffs. That didn't happen to Gibbs, but every time he lined up back there I cringed. This doesn't apply as much to punt returns.
Everyone always says this but I honestly can't ever remember a kick returner getting hurt. Anyone recall any examples?

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Easy answer = Randy Rhino. You really don't need to be all that fast to return kicks effectively.
The problem here is your description. I don’t know anyone that would ever call Gibbs EFFECTIVE!
I agree that Randy and J were both effective but would never call them Electric = Gibbs.
Our staff has its issues but picking Electric over effective is not one of them.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I sure remember a lot of Rhino punt returns where he would break an arm tackle and then he was getting more yardage. I don't remember kick off returns but he may have. I think his younger brother did punts as well.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, there is no way a player like Gibbs should be returning kicks unless it’s a playoff game. If I was Gibbs people the minute I saw his coach put him back there the portal would have been enacted. I guarantee he won’t be returning kicks at his new home unless it’s a playoff game.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, there is no way a player like Gibbs should be returning kicks unless it’s a playoff game. If I was Gibbs people the minute I saw his coach put him back there the portal would have been enacted. I guarantee he won’t be returning kicks at his new home unless it’s a playoff game.
y’all do realize he was literally an all american return man? he was playing there cause he is quite literally one of the best in the country at it. he will likely continue to do it, maybe not in the pros but at the college level we have seen guys do it

jameson williams was a punt gunner this season for bama and would have been a top 20 pick if he didn’t tear his ACL vs uga in the title game (still might go day 1 though). bama will put gibbs wherever they want

slugboy

Staff member
Everyone always says this but I honestly can't ever remember a kick returner getting hurt. Anyone recall any examples?

More concussions and knee injuries:

Whether that should cause rule changes is another question

Was It Rhino or Cunningham that never, or rarely, called for a fair catch?
Kelly Rhino might not have ever fair caught