Juanyeh at the Combine

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did I see this correct? He ran a 4.6 in the 40? Crap, I ran a 4.55 in 1975 on a stopwatch. Not an impressive showing in 2022. All the best for Juanyeh, hope he lands somewhere.
LOL! 4.6 is super fast. I was one of the fastest guys in my high school and probably ran a 4.6. For a safety, 4.6 is plenty fast. For OLB, it's very fast.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Not understanding folks coming here just to bash the kid. Like, why?
Couldn't agree more. Juanyeh has been, in general, great for the program even if our team's on-field results have been poor. That and he is our only combine invite since Butker, our first non-st combine invite since Gotsis........ The fact that a Power-5 school has as few combine invites as we have is utterly terrifying.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Seems pretty suited to play Strong Safety at the next level. Maybe that was the problem with the defense: we had a starting SS who should have been playing LB and a starting FS who should have been playing SS. Sometimes guys are put at the wrong position. Just ask Richard Sherman.
We compounded this by having a wired defense.
I think we would have seen a better defense if we played much more aggressive defense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seems pretty suited to play Strong Safety at the next level. Maybe that was the problem with the defense: we had a starting SS who should have been playing LB and a starting FS who should have been playing SS. Sometimes guys are put at the wrong position. Just ask Richard Sherman.

Tariq left money on the table by not moving to LB. Someone mentioned that he was asked to move there but didn't want to. Went to the Senior Bowl and had scouts very interested once he moved to LB and flashed a lot of potential there given it was his first time playing the position at this level...and against some of the best players in college football.

He could have balled out at LB for a year or two, established himself in the eyes of scouts and probably would have had a higher draft grade than he does now. The guy walks around at 6'3+ 240 lbs...I mean, that's a modern day LB that can play against modern day offenses.

JacketFan137

Banned
Couldn't agree more. Juanyeh has been, in general, great for the program even if our team's on-field results have been poor. That and he is our only combine invite since Butker, our first non-st combine invite since Gotsis........ The fact that a Power-5 school has as few combine invites as we have is utterly terrifying.
running the option certainly didn’t help on offense in this regard just due to the stigma. passing is the name of the game so the vast majority of our linemen were not cut out for the nfl game. our qbs were definitely not what nfl teams wanted either and a lot of our WRs just didn’t get a chance to put up the stats and film to earn a combine invite.

i expect that number to begin to change be it with collins as coach or the next guy

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
running the option certainly didn’t help on offense in this regard just due to the stigma. passing is the name of the game so the vast majority of our linemen were not cut out for the nfl game. our qbs were definitely not what nfl teams wanted either and a lot of our WRs just didn’t get a chance to put up the stats and film to earn a combine invite.

i expect that number to begin to change be it with collins as coach or the next guy
Been tracking number in NFL for gt and Harvard.
We were tied at about 8 each but now we are at 10 ish and they are at 5.
We are pulling away !!

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow

I would hope so. I loved CPJ and the option, but when we don't have a schematic advantage such as that, we have to attract talent to our school by putting dudes in the NFL. The fact that we do not have a proven track record of that and have 9 wins in 3 years makes our uphill battle just that much steeper.

At least early in CPJ's tenure we could point to Megatron, Morgan, Thomas among others that helped our NFL profile for recruits. None of them play in the league now. I actually think Carpenter has a good shot at the league at linebacker. There have been several safeties at the college level that succeed in the NFL due to speed. Looking into the future, maybe Charlie Thomas can make draft noise. His football IQ is off the charts and is such a solid player for us.

Seeing Juanyeh at the combine reminded me of CPJ's quote after the Louisville game his last year. Juanyeh had a pick 6 in the 4th (I think) and CPJ said something to the effect that he is going to be a special player. Juanyeh has the ability and flashed enough as a freshman for CPJ to say that. I wish him nothing but the best at the next level!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If JT makes NFL as a run stopping strong safety and Tariq makes lb, that would be a head scratcher.
Our lb were better last year, but not that good .

I hope they make a spot on NFL team.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If JT makes NFL as a run stopping strong safety and Tariq makes lb, that would be a head scratcher.
Our lb were better last year, but not that good .

I hope they make a spot on NFL team.
If we see players who underperformed here but made the League, it's an indication that while here they were poorly coached and/or out of position.
Another indication of poor coaching is seeing players who underperformed here being picked up by major schools in the transfer market.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He played a good bit there

As a father of a 20 year coach i can vouch that players and coaches who have watched a ton of film we see way more than we do.

When you are watching a game with your son its embarrassing when you make a comment on a bad tackle angle and your son and his coaching friends launch into a " well no dad the safety was in a xx defense and was keying onf yyy and it was the zz guy that misread the play, etc etc.

ib ,that good that the pros will have film on him up close to the los,

When i saw him up near los, he was very physical.

I have posted many times that when he played guard in nw fla allstar basketball game he would like a moth to a light go to the hoop and dunk on the opposing center . The center was a DE at phs who went to usf. they were like 2 ally cats. He is a hitter.

Perhaps playing in open field has kept his speed up.

Andy says he will be a good strong run oriented safety

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Size, strength, speed, intelligence. He has those. Quickness? Different technique can be taught for the system they run. We had some problems with tackling in the secondary at times. I didn't pay attention to JT specifically. I could see him making special teams somewhere.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think a team will take Thomas at a mid-round, get him to return kicks, and never ask him to do anything else. He's really good at it and is big enough to make the extra 3 - 4 yards after a hit. He would be a good SS, but he could be a great special teams player.

Good luck, Juanyeh!

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
If we see players who underperformed here but made the League, it's an indication that while here they were poorly coached and/or out of position.
Another indication of poor coaching is seeing players who underperformed here being picked up by major schools in the transfer market.
The bolded part of the comment drives me crazy. When kids leave Tech and go to other schools, it's because our coaching is bad, but when other kids leave their school to come to Tech it's because they weren't very good at their previous school. I sure you didn't mean it quite like that, but it seems to be a very common theme on this board.