he also isn’t really fast enough to run them back in the pros
More concussions and knee injuries:

Whether that should cause rule changes is another question

Kelly Rhino might not have ever fair caught
Ken Swilling…high ankle sprain never was right afterwards

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ken Swilling…high ankle sprain never was right afterwards

As an aside, my HS alma mater had a 5 star RB that signed with Oregon. He was the fastest HS recruit at the Nike national camp that year (4.3 forty). For some reason, his HS coach had him on punt coverage...not punt returner, but punt coverage. Got blocked wrong and tore his ACL in the first game of his senior year. He was never the same after that, and his career at Oregon was hampered because he didn't have the same explosiveness he did before he tore his ACL.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The problem here is your description. I don’t know anyone that would ever call Gibbs EFFECTIVE!
I agree that Randy and J were both effective but would never call them Electric = Gibbs.
Our staff has its issues but picking Electric over effective is not one of them.
I hear where you're coming from. Perhaps this is a difference of temperament. My take would be to be as sure as possible that the person returning kicks had the highest median (gets rid of outlier long runs) return. I can see going for somebody who can break one occasionally, but Juanyeh did that. Gibbs was our almost-every-down RB and pretty good at it too. I'd keep him off the field for kick returns and send out the bigger guy.

But that's just me. Still, like I said, I used to cringe every time Gibbs went on the field to do returns, especially when we already had somebody else who could break them. Lest we forget:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Playing fewer games and kickoff rule changes favoring touchbacks will do that
But we debate about what's best for 21 plays without looking at the yards past the 25 that they netted. How about our players looking 10% better at like they are fast - getting space wr, closing space db, reading defense QB and lb, Dt using hands to get past blocker.

In spring i saw improvement at lb by D Knight - looks like a grown man plus stepped in to hole and shut down play .
He will look good at gt pro day or combine. #5 made some moves around his blocker w out giving up his rush lane. I think we could be fairly good in the trenches

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Funny story about Lenny Snow. He was in one of my freshman classes. We had a paper due. Prof took them up and asked if Lenny Snow was present or if someone had it to turn in. Someone in the back of the room said "coach Dodd hadn't finished it yet".

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Tariq Carpenter, S | Georgia Tech

Tariq Carpenter is all over draft boards at several positions since draft meetings ended last week. He’s also an interesting study. The former safety from Georgia Tech came to the Senior Bowl and played outside linebacker. Carpenter was not invited to the Combine but turned in outstanding numbers during pro day workouts. At 6’3″ and 230 pounds, Carpenter timed 4.47 seconds in the 40, touched 41 inches in the vertical jump, and reached 11’4″ in the broad jump.

He’s had official top-30 visits with the Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Arizona Cardinals, and Green Bay Packers. Some teams have Carpenter on their safety board. Meanwhile, others have him listed as a linebacker, including the New York Jets.

I’m told the Jets were the team who requested Carpenter be added to the Senior Bowl roster at linebacker late in the process. Recently, the Jets privately worked out Carpenter at LB.

Remember, on Day 3 of the 2021 NFL Draft, the Jets selected a pair of oversized college safeties — Jamien Sherwood of Auburn in the fifth round and Hamsah Nasirildeen of Florida State a round later — and moved them to linebacker, where each presently sits on the depth chart.

Totally beating my own drum here (again)...but remember all those years I said Tariq and Juanyeh should be moved to LB? Seems like NFL scouts agree with me. BTW...a couple of years ago I said Peje Harris should move to TE. He moved there this season. Let's see how that plays out.

I've missed my calling to be an NFL scout...maybe even an NFL GM! :)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Totally beating my own drum here (again)...but remember all those years I said Tariq and Juanyeh should be moved to LB? Seems like NFL scouts agree with me. BTW...a couple of years ago I said Peje Harris should move to TE. He moved there this season. Let's see how that plays out.

You get credit for that, and also for suggesting we should have hired Tony Elliot as HC. But they made their choices, and they stand by them...

JacketFan137

Banned
You get credit for that, and also for suggesting we should have hired Tony Elliot as HC. But they made their choices, and they stand by them...
it’s a cool thing to think about but i am not so sure there was ever mutual interest to begin with. clemson pays well and dabo seems to have the ability to keep guys around based on what we saw with venables and the fact he gets guys to return for senior years a lot

i also highly doubt a first time coach wanted to step into this situation with no qb on the roster and two dozen RBs

Techster

Helluva Engineer
it’s a cool thing to think about but i am not so sure there was ever mutual interest to begin with. clemson pays well and dabo seems to have the ability to keep guys around based on what we saw with venables and the fact he gets guys to return for senior years a lot

i also highly doubt a first time coach wanted to step into this situation with no qb on the roster and two dozen RBs

There was interest. The mutual part was less on our side than Elliott's side. Elliott was very intrigued about GT due to all the talent in our area and the history of our program. We were pretty adamant about getting a guy with GT ties, and the fact that George O'Leary wanted it to be Collins tipped the scale. Elliott knew he wasn't a serious candidate here so he shut it down on his side.

It's all under the bridge now...the big money guys wanted Collins, and they got him...come what may...

Anyhow, back to Juanyeh and the draft.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

We'll never know for sure, but according to the cognoscenti around here, he was interested up until we veered off toward Whisenhunt.
Both Elliott and Venables are gone.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Tariq Carpenter, S | Georgia Tech

Tariq Carpenter is all over draft boards at several positions since draft meetings ended last week. He’s also an interesting study. The former safety from Georgia Tech came to the Senior Bowl and played outside linebacker. Carpenter was not invited to the Combine but turned in outstanding numbers during pro day workouts. At 6’3″ and 230 pounds, Carpenter timed 4.47 seconds in the 40, touched 41 inches in the vertical jump, and reached 11’4″ in the broad jump.

He’s had official top-30 visits with the Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Arizona Cardinals, and Green Bay Packers. Some teams have Carpenter on their safety board. Meanwhile, others have him listed as a linebacker, including the New York Jets.

I’m told the Jets were the team who requested Carpenter be added to the Senior Bowl roster at linebacker late in the process. Recently, the Jets privately worked out Carpenter at LB.

Remember, on Day 3 of the 2021 NFL Draft, the Jets selected a pair of oversized college safeties — Jamien Sherwood of Auburn in the fifth round and Hamsah Nasirildeen of Florida State a round later — and moved them to linebacker, where each presently sits on the depth chart.

Kudos man, you were def the first to start beating that drum. I just don’t understand how 2 different DEF coaching staffs didn’t see the same thing? We had decent depth under him at safety, so it wasn’t like he was irreplaceable there....