JT - The Leader

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am one of those people who watches body language very closely on a field of competition. I always have been. There was a moment in the VT game that really resonates with me. I don't remember the exact play it came before except that it was coming off a timeout (I believe) and the mobile cable mounted field camera was getting the shot (I believe as well, at least it was behind the huddle and elevated angle). The game was in crunch time and it was one of the "do or die" type situations. We were in trouble (duh obviously). JT was gassed, they were all gassed. Laskey was bent over in the huddle right next to Justin with his hands on his knees. Justin calmly approached the huddle and laid his arm on Laskey's back (while calling the play) as if to say without words "I love you, you are my brother, and we are going to get this thing going right now". He had the entire teams attention and he was totally calm, relaxed and confident. He expressed words in excess of the play call I'm sure. I couldn't see his face, but you could feel the respect coming from the other guys. For me it was a powerful moment. JT isn't mister polish with the press. He doesn't appear to like to talk in the public eye or ear that much, but that kid is a leader, he is real, and those 10 other guys in the huddle love him back.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I am one of those people who watches body language very closely on a field of competition. I always have been. There was a moment in the VT game that really resonates with me. I don't remember the exact play it came before except that it was coming off a timeout (I believe) and the mobile cable mounted field camera was getting the shot (I believe as well, at least it was behind the huddle and elevated angle). The game was in crunch time and it was one of the "do or die" type situations. We were in trouble (duh obviously). JT was gassed, they were all gassed. Laskey was bent over in the huddle right next to Justin with his hands on his knees. Justin calmly approached the huddle and laid his arm on Laskey's back (while calling the play) as if to say without words "I love you, you are my brother, and we are going to get this thing going right now". He had the entire teams attention and he was totally calm, relaxed and confident. He expressed words in excess of the play call I'm sure. I couldn't see his face, but you could feel the respect coming from the other guys. For me it was a powerful moment. JT isn't mister polish with the press. He doesn't appear to like to talk in the public eye or ear that much, but that kid is a leader, he is real, and those 10 other guys in the huddle love him back.

I think they respect each other. That''s what makes this team somewhat special. As long as they lay it all out on the field no one should be upset with the outcome of any game....win or lose. It's all we can ask

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think they respect each other. That''s what makes this team somewhat special. As long as they lay it all out on the field no one should be upset with the outcome of any game....win or lose. It's all we can ask

Agree 100%.

We now have hope going into every game, and there will be games we lose because the other athletes are better, but I now feel we will have a chance because we are playing as a TEAM. (and because our QB is a wizard!)

PS-the play that impressed me the most is when JT ducked UNDER the tackle of that VT defensive lineman. You could almost hear him go "I Gotchya...whoop! Where'd he go?"

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the 4th and 15 play again. On TV they first showed the stands and the fans were going nuts, anticipating that stopping the play and therefore virtually securing the win. It must have been deafening. JT calmly ran the play, the line protected well and he put it on the money to Smetzer. In back to back games he has shown the team that he will come through in the clutch.

They KNOW he can get bring them back. That belief alone can make the difference when the game is on the line.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Found it.

Aroud the three minute mark in the 4th quarter...After we got blew up on first down and it was 2nd and 15.

I didn't get the full impact of your post unitl I seen it myself...He had his hand around laskey and the other around another teammate (Maybe Smelter)...Acted like it was no big deal and it was all fine. Wow. I could just feel the impact...just sense that calmness he brings to the huddle.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree 100%.

We now have hope going into every game, and there will be games we lose because the other athletes are better, but I now feel we will have a chance because we are playing as a TEAM. (and because our QB is a wizard!)

PS-the play that impressed me the most is when JT ducked UNDER the tackle of that VT defensive lineman. You could almost hear him go "I Gotchya...whoop! Where'd he go?"
That was true highlight material. I'll never forget that big DT tackling air.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Yea hands down the most embarassing looking play for the opposing D all season. JT could have been on SportsCenter top 10, and the defender conversely, could have ended up on the NOT top 10. I was like... Did he just do what I think he did? On replay... it was confirmed. Almost like Allen Iverson crossing somebody and breaking their ankles in the process.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea hands down the most embarassing looking play for the opposing D all season. JT could have been on SportsCenter top 10, and the defender conversely, could have ended up on the NOT top 10. I was like... Did he just do what I think he did? On replay... it was confirmed. Almost like Allen Iverson crossing somebody and breaking their ankles in the process.
The way he can turn the jets on is just amazing. JT is a lot of fun to watch. I know he will have some growing pains but right now he is playing great.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Just remember when, not if, he doesn't deliver someday. Were all very high on him, but he's a kid, and isn't superman. I just don't want people to set unrealistic expectations during the good times.

Agreed.

He's a kid...mistakes are going to come. Will have some bumps in the road. Can't expect perfection out of him all the time...but he has the ability to do great things and he lays it on the line. He doesn't play scared. Hope others keep this in mind as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That won't be the last time he makes someone look foolish. I know Hill got called for that illegal block (which wouldn't have mad a difference IMO), but it was funny watching JT outrunning the defenders' angles.

We saw another example against GSU when he spun out of the way to buy some time.

JT is going to put a lot of defenders on the wrong end of highlight reels.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
That won't be the last time he makes someone look foolish. I know Hill got called for that illegal block (which wouldn't have mad a difference IMO), but it was funny watching JT outrunning the defenders' angles.

We saw another example against GSU when he spun out of the way to buy some time.

JT is going to put a lot of defenders on the wrong end of highlight reels.
Most definetly. He is an elite talent. I will be the first to say I was a huge fan of Vad Lee coming in to last season but the more I seen of JT the bigger fan I became of him. He is a game changer and that is something that we have truly missed at the QB position.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Most definetly. He is an elite talent. I will be the first to say I was a huge fan of Vad Lee coming in to last season but the more I seen of JT the bigger fan I became of him. He is a game changer and that is something that we have truly missed at the QB position.

I was a huge Vad fan coming into last season as well, but now I can't help but think how good JT would be right now if he was the starter last season. I still think Vad is a good kid and wish him the best but he wasn't the right QB for this system.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
There are a handful of players that you stop everything you're doing when they have the ball in their hands because you know something special can happen at any moment; players like Barry Sanders. I get that same feeling when I see Justin with the football.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gonna piggyback off of Boomer's thread 'cause I don't think we need another one.

JT's legend is growing:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qb-curve-devin-gardner-michigan-wolverines/

The Reggie Collier “Athlete” All-Stars honor quarterbacks who best embody the “dual threat” ethos of their inspiration, the first player to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 1,000 yards in the same season.

Thomas accounted for 290 yards (125 passing, 165 rushing) and two touchdowns Saturday against Virginia Tech, rallying the Yellow Jackets for 10 points in the final three minutes of a crucial, come-from-behind victory in Blacksburg. Like all Georgia Tech quarterbacks under coach Paul Johnson, Thomas’s primary responsibility is the triple option, which he operates like a vet: Through four games, he leads the team with 443 yards rushing on an impressive 6.8 yards per carry. Against the Hokies, though, he arguably made a bigger impact down the stretch with his arm, beginning with a do-or-die fourth-and-15 completion to DeAndre Smelter that kept the Jackets alive with a little more than two minutes to play:

From there, Thomas found a wide-open Smelter on a 31-yard touchdown pass that evened the score at 24, followed just a few seconds later (on the heels of a quick Virginia Tech turnover) by a 19-yard strike to Smelter at the Hokies’ 18-yard line. Cue the game-winning field goal and a 1-0 edge in the ACC Coastal standings.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
What about the little juke he put on the sideline in his 80 yard run that got called back? That was sick. It wasn't a huge move, but it bought him time to turn on the afterburners and get ahead of the defender. I would have loved to see a behind view of that play, so we could see the defenders reaction better.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow

Oh man, that brought an ear to ear grin to my face. JT did that cheeky thing that your super athletic friend does in a pickup game growing up. He slowed down, let the safety set up his tackling angle, and then turned the jets back on to remind the safety just how much faster he is. Torched.

If you put some gold colored glasses on and tilt your head a bit you realize that JT basically just showed every Defensive Coordinator we play that he is capable of putting up 23 carries for 265 yards and 2 TDs in only his fourth start against Virginia Tech including runs of 80, 32, 29, and 26 and he did that despite the fact that we had 5 possessions where in total he ran for a grand total of right around zero yards. Just a tiny crease and JT can be GONE.

Which question do you think is more common for an opposing DC now: "How do I attack this scheme?" or "How do I stop 5?" Having a player that dangerous is a wonderful feeling.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh man, that brought an ear to ear grin to my face. JT did that cheeky thing that your super athletic friend does in a pickup game growing up. He slowed down, let the safety set up his tackling angle, and then turned the jets back on to remind the safety just how much faster he is. Torched.

If you put some gold colored glasses on and tilt your head a bit you realize that JT basically just showed every Defensive Coordinator we play that he is capable of putting up 23 carries for 265 yards and 2 TDs in only his fourth start against Virginia Tech including runs of 80, 32, 29, and 26 and he did that despite the fact that we had 5 possessions where in total he ran for a grand total of right around zero yards. Just a tiny crease and JT can be GONE.

Which question do you think is more common for an opposing DC now: "How do I attack this scheme?" or "How do I stop 5?" Having a player that dangerous is a wonderful feeling.

I remember watching Russell Wilson play us his last year at NC State before Tom O'Brien developed dementia and basically told Wilson to take a hike. RW was a one man show...running by defenders moving the chains, making passes all over the field. He put that team on his shoulders and carried them to victory. It was a nightmare for GT defending him.

As a football fan, I enjoy watching players like that because those kind of players are rare. As a GT fan, I'm REALLLY glad on of those football players is on our side now.