JT - The Leader

Mack

Helluva Engineer
When you're constantly beating them to the corner, that's what happens. Speed is a killer, especially at qb, in our offense.
No doubt but the guy closest to him had him .......took poor angle but you cant tackle what you cant touch........good job on JTs part.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
@Mack Do you think Miami offense is better disciplined than VT?
I think difference is in the quality of the backs Miami has......they run the tackle hole and VT seemed to like the gut....the Miami qb is goood athlete but he will throw into coveage so I guess not much difference except VT left the run behind and Miami kept plugging with hope of Dook breaking one....If Dook is slowed this weekend we win .

Mack

Helluva Engineer
IIrc, I was one of the first to question Vad's commitment to the system last year, but I oppose turning every JT thread into a not VL thread. Imo, it serves an unhealthy binary view of our players. My 2 cents.
Yeah last I heard VL was gone..........like that new word though unhealthy BINARY...when I find out what it means I plan on using it...........good post.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
When you're constantly beating them to the corner, that's what happens. Speed is a killer, especially at qb, in our offense.
You are spot on with the speed but sometimes the guys on the other side can run too and I think Miami can move pretty good to the corner....would probably see lot of pitches this weekend...........

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One big time positive nobody is talking about is how VT rarely disrupted plays with penetration on the LOS. If JT is able to operate back their w/o anybody disrupting his timing and footwork, Miami is in for a long night.
Bringing everybody up field fast is a recipe for disaster for any defense against us this season. That is what I was trying to say before the VT game. I was pretty sure they would back off some. If you get caught upfield when JT finds a crease on the scramble, he is going to the house. That is a major difference compared to prior seasons. I think you will see an effort by defenses to contain us a little bit. We saw it against VT. They blitzed some but usually had a spy held back.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Bringing everybody up field fast is a recipe for disaster for any defense against us this season. That is what I was trying to say before the VT game. I was pretty sure they would back off some. If you get caught upfield when JT finds a crease on the scramble, he is going to the house. That is a major difference compared to prior seasons. I think you will see an effort by defenses to contain us a little bit. We saw it against VT. They blitzed some but usually had a spy held back.
Well to this old pair of eyes if they play us plain vanilla they have problems..If they decide to make jt ptich early then things could be tuff for awhile.Iwould think somebody probably a safety will be the spy..I look at Miami line of scrimmage and see meat and plenty of it so that may take Laskey and the dive away.They have some good speed at lb and I would think they will close outside gap with JT if they can.I guess I am saying Miami or rather myself would not let JT beat me.........easy on paper tuff on the field.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well to this old pair of eyes if they play us plain vanilla they have problems..If they decide to make jt ptich early then things could be tuff for awhile.Iwould think somebody probably a safety will be the spy..I look at Miami line of scrimmage and see meat and plenty of it so that may take Laskey and the dive away.They have some good speed at lb and I would think they will close outside gap with JT if they can.I guess I am saying Miami or rather myself would not let JT beat me.........easy on paper tuff on the field.
I agree. Don't let JT beat me. How do I do that? By trying to contain as best I can. Our G-C-G combo is good enough to get some push against any DT combo around, especially when #71 is in at LG. We will be able to dive a little, enough so that their MLB won't be able to have his attention elsewhere. It should be fun.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Don't let JT beat me. How do I do that? By trying to contain as best I can. Our G-C-G combo is good enough to get some push against any DT combo around, especially when #71 is in at LG. We will be able to dive a little, enough so that their MLB won't be able to have his attention elsewhere. It should be fun.
I confess didnt see the whole Miami game but what I did see was bunch of talent on the Miami side but they didnt seem to be together on the D. So far JT has been our offense and I think the Cane linebackers can get to corner quicker than VT....that is the key.JT gets there first and its fun...............

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think they will use their extra speed to over-pursue and run themselves out of a lot of plays
Well they can run.........how fast to the corner to get JT is the question.Last year they killed the dive and stopped us wide.This year if they dont stop JT it is a win for the good guys.