JT - The Leader

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This says it all:

(Shaq Mason on JT in the huddle of the final drive)

“It’s just, he wanted that load,” Mason said. “I haven’t seen that in a while. When he came in the huddle, he was looking us all in the eyes. You could see it in his eyes, like, We’re not losing.”

Mason said that, in the huddle, “he was like, Y’all boys just hold on. We’re going to make it out. We’re going to make it out. Just put it on me. I got y’all. That says a lot.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/mason-nealy-thomas-named-techs-captains/nhTdf/

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Just remember when, not if, he doesn't deliver someday. Were all very high on him, but he's a kid, and isn't superman. I just don't want people to set unrealistic expectations during the good times.
Oh, I know he can leap tall buildings in a single bound! I think after midnight he's been seen with a cape on and a big S on his chest!!!

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Y'all, I'm rememberin' the 2009 Nesbitt feeling. Sitting in a cold, windy Raymond James Stadium, knowing to the depths of my chilled old bones that if we needed a late TD drive to beat Klempsen, Nesbitt would get it done. I want that feeling again, and I think JT might be able to provide it. This season is a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For your viewing pleasure....

Vad would have been creamed in that play. What makes it work for JT is he's so decisive. He rides the hip of the blocker, the defender evades the cut with his hands, but doesn't have enough time to make a play on JT. He's decisive and quick, a deadly combination. Oh, being a short fry helps a little bit, too.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before, but to me the single biggest difference between VL and JT is that JT will take his medicine if nothing is there, and plug it up in there for 2 yards, when VL would reverse field or try to throw a juke and end up losing 2 yards.

The difference between 2nd and 8 and 2nd and 12 is almost impossible to overstate.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@ilovetheoption JT did the "reverse" twice in the VT game. One got 5 yards, the other lost 5 yards.
This is true, but I think you know what he means. Vad would string plays out into oblivion and lose yards repeatedly. He often did it when, clearly, there was a dive forward available for 2 or 3 yards. That always chapped my behind. It is hard to stop 3 option plays in a row without giving up 10 yards, so long as the offense gets some kind of gain every play, however paltry. Then when you factor in 4th down on the plus side of the field....

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JT is awesome and I hope he grows into the legend that we all are talking about. We just need to keep perspective in both negative and positive emotions.

JT is better than Vad in trusting the system, quick decisions, not stringing out plays, and less emotionally effected by the "game flow".... no doubt.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
IIrc, I was one of the first to question Vad's commitment to the system last year, but I oppose turning every JT thread into a not VL thread. Imo, it serves an unhealthy binary view of our players. My 2 cents.

Just so. I submit my apology for doing so.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Like that run but........two guys over pursued..........afraid Miami or others may not..........one thing though JT can motor.
When you're constantly beating them to the corner, that's what happens. Speed is a killer, especially at qb, in our offense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One big time positive nobody is talking about is how VT rarely disrupted plays with penetration on the LOS. If JT is able to operate back their w/o anybody disrupting his timing and footwork, Miami is in for a long night.