JT and Dedrick place in all-time CPJ team

I guess when it comes to all our receivers, their numbers are relative to who was throwing to them. Just think if Calvin Johnson had a better QB throwing to him. JT5 was probably the best passer CPJ had, when he got the ball off. Tevin actually was not that bad at throwing.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
My CPJ Ga Tech all time
QB JT5
BB J Dwyer
AB1 Orwin Smith
AB2 Robby Godhigh
WR Bey Bey Thomas
WR Stephen Hill
T Throw it to Beano
T Erin Joe
G Shaq Mason
G O Uzzi
C Freddie Burden

A back was the toughest

I agree with all of this (including A back being the toughest) I am not sure that I would place Hill over Smelter. That one is tough too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I also wonder what players like Ham and Peterson would have done if they played against stronger competition. They were great players at Southern but against the ACC it mightve been tougher for them to compete at the same level.

Peterson had a good career in the NFL, and Ham was a VERY good Canadian League QB. One thing to remember about Tracy Ham, he played in time where the NFL shunned dual threat QBs. At the very least, you could say both players excelled at a higher level.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd go with Smelter over Hill because of consistency. I think we win the ACCCG in 14 with Smelter. Although I think the 2 big misses were misreads by JT vs Waller (looked like option routes), but Smelter was on the same page with JT almost every play.

And I'd be tempted to put Lynch or Jones ahead of Robbie. Robbie was mostly a situational blocker until his senior year, but he almost singlehandedly saved the bowl streak that year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My CPJ GT Depth Chart (Skill Players Only):

QB1: JeT
QB2: Josh Nesbitt
QB3: Tevin Washington

BB1: J. Dwyer
BB2: Anthony Allen
BB3: Days/Laskey Combo (sue me)

WR1: Demaryius Thomas
WR2: Smelter
WR3: Stephen Hill
WR4: Ricky Jeune

AB1: Orwin Smith
AB2: Clinton Lynch
AB3: Anthony Allen
AB4: Robbie Godhigh

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know it's not a quantifiable stat, but Smelter was "clutch" in a way that Hill never was. I never feared 3rd or 4th and long with Smelter in the game. If it was thrown in his direction, he usually found a way to make a play.

IMO, Smelter has the best hands of the Thomas/Hill/Smelter group. He didn't have the freakish tools that BayBay and Hill had, but he was a very cerebral WR that had innate ability to get open and find holes for his QB.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I also wonder what players like Ham and Peterson would have done if they played against stronger competition. They were great players at Southern but against the ACC it mightve been tougher for them to compete at the same level.

With ACC caliber athletes around them....they'd have carved up ACC defenses...period.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
BeyBey hands were excellent...those who think otherwise are overly focused on a single drop, that was a tough catch, due to the time and place of that drop. Both DT and Smelter had good hands. Would be hard pressed to say one was better than the other in that department.

No one will rival Calvin at WR, though I know he predates CPJ. Best all around freak of a WR ever. Freakishly big, fast, athletic, strong, and hands....omg his hands were great. Mutts have Hershel at RB.....we have Calvin at WR.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Both DT and Smelter had good hands. Would be hard pressed to say one was better than the other in that department.

Well, I'm saying it! Smelter had better hands! :)

Considering Smelter only played WR for 2 years, and the acrobatic catches he made, that's pretty impressive. That's not taking anything away from DT. DT has very good hands, and you're right, people make too much of his UGA drop. Just my opinion that Smelter's pure catching ability was slightly better than DT's. It helps that Smelter has 11+ inch hands!

Well, I'm saying it! Smelter had better hands! :)

Considering Smelter only played WR for 2 years, and the acrobatic catches he made, that's pretty impressive. That's not taking anything away from DT. DT has very good hands, and you're right, people make too much of his UGA drop. Just my opinion that Smelter's pure catching ability was slightly better than DT's. It helps that Smelter has 11+ inch hands!
Smelter had great hands but what DT could do was catch a smoke pass, run over a cornerback, and be gone.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Smelter had great hands but what DT could do was catch a smoke pass, run over a cornerback, and be gone.

Yup...that's why I rated DT CPJ's #1 receiver. That guy is the perfect spread option WR. Size, speed, good hands, devastating blocker, unselfish...you name it, he had the exact qualities CPJ wanted for this offense.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
For Tech...

OG: Uzzi and Shaq are locks
C: Bedford is a lock
OT: I'd have to think about it more
WR: Thomas is a lock. Then Smelter. Then Hill.
BB: Dwyer
AB: Roddy is the only lock. Orwin/Godhigh/Lynch are gonna have claims.
QB: JT5 would have been a lock without 3-9. Nesbitt's in the discussion. I can't get that '09 FSU strip out of my head.

DT: Probably Walker and Richards from '08. Sigh.
DE: Morgan and Johnson. Again, sigh.
OLB: Attaochu is miles ahead. Then probably Watts.
MLB: honestly it might be Davis
CB: pretty stout here. I'd go with White and Sweeting. Jemea with a claim
S: Burnett and...Isaiah?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My CPJ GT Depth Chart (Skill Players Only):

QB1: JeT
QB2: Josh Nesbitt
QB3: Tevin Washington

BB1: J. Dwyer
BB2: Anthony Allen
BB3: Days/Laskey Combo (sue me)

WR1: Demaryius Thomas
WR2: Smelter
WR3: Stephen Hill
WR4: Ricky Jeune

AB1: Orwin Smith
AB2: Clinton Lynch
AB3: Anthony Allen
AB4: Robbie Godhigh

What I like about the current team is we may add several players t ok this list by the end of this and next year. We are so much deeper with athletes now

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What I like about the current team is we may add several players t ok this list by the end of this and next year. We are so much deeper with athletes now

Man, we've got some guys backing up starters that could make that list down the road. IMO, probably the most talented team CPJ has had here. Some of the guys just need playing time.

Last edited:

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I don't know much about CPJs teams before Tech but I was curious if people had an opinion on where JT and Dedrick would compare with all players CPJ has coached in his career. Obviously Dedrick still has a lot more time to prove himself but for a freshman he has to be one of the best CPJ has ever had.

I saw all of PJ's teams at Ga Southern when he was head coach. Dedrick compares favorably with Peterson. I think AP had a little more elusiveness but both were very strong and physical. AP might be a touch faster. Guy I know who worked at Red and Black when he was at Georgia interviewed Georgia's defensive tackles after PJ, AP and Southern played in Athens in a downpour and those guys - who included Richard Seymour - said AP was legit, said he could play.
One of the games I didn't get to see was the UMass revenge game at home, when AP put up 333 yards and 5 TDs - and knocked out two defenders on one run. I mean, out cold.
I forget which big time RB got his 45th career TD in his senior season a few years ago. I just thought, yeah, AP had 45 touchdowns. In one season alone.
I think he averaged 5.5 or 5.6 ypc as a pro, which is just ridiculous. But he was stuck behind some other guys even though the Bears coaching staff loved him and every time they put him in he produced. It's hard to believe his freshman season was 19 years ago.
JT and Greg Hill had similar speed though JT was probably a little stronger (Greg, who is one of my favorite people in the world, was only about 165-170 as a senior) and had a little stronger throwing arm. When Greg got in the open field, no one caught him. He ran a legit 4.4 and I know opposing coaches were just as scared if not more scared of him than they were AP, because the ball was in his hands every play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Man, we've got some guys backing up starters that could make that list down the road. IMO, probably the most talented team CPJ has had here. Some of the guys just need playing time.

Took son (33 year old) and 7 of his east Texas high school coaching buddies to 2010 advocare indepence bowl . They were impressed w the scheme but felt we need to get more athletic. Son agrees we are getting there. Says we need just one super d tackle -i say maybe this year or next we have a group w depth that will play super