JT and Dedrick place in all-time CPJ team

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
For Tech...

OG: Uzzi and Shaq are locks
C: Bedford is a lock
OT: I'd have to think about it more
WR: Thomas is a lock. Then Smelter. Then Hill.
BB: Dwyer
AB: Roddy is the only lock. Orwin/Godhigh/Lynch are gonna have claims.
QB: JT5 would have been a lock without 3-9. Nesbitt's in the discussion. I can't get that '09 FSU strip out of my head.

DT: Probably Walker and Richards from '08. Sigh.
DE: Morgan and Johnson. Again, sigh.
OLB: Attaochu is miles ahead. Then probably Watts.
MLB: honestly it might be Davis
CB: pretty stout here. I'd go with White and Sweeting. Jemea with a claim
S: Burnett and...Isaiah?

I agree with almost all of this. I am not sure you can have an all PJ team with only two A backs. Why not more? That said, I would put Orwin, Robbie, and Lynch in with Roddy Jones. Same with B back. Dwyer obviously, then the Davis/Laskey combo (can't have one without the other) and Mills. QB JT5 and Josh N. with honorable mention to Tevin. OT No idea although Andrew Garner and Nick Claytor had the tools. Maybe Marshall or Beano or Erin Joe. I just don't know. Linebackers: Attaochu, Watts, Nealy and Davis DBs White, Sweeting, Jemea Thomas, Morgan, and Isaiah Room for our current two safeties as well.

Special Teams and Present Day Players: Austin twins, (both of them I am not going to start any inter family squabbles) Butker, Golden, Tarrant, Mills, Will, Parker, and possibly Shamire, Apologies to many very fine players whose names I cannot recall but all of whom have contributed to the great tradition of Georgia Tech football.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the WRs in this discussion is the blocking component being a major factor in who lands where on the all time CPJ era ranking. For this reason alone, I would place BeyBey and Smelter way far clear from the rest of the pack in WR pecking order. Both of those guys would compress your breast bone against your spine with crack blocks and don't think for a minute it doesn't affect safeties when they have to play with their head on a swivel. Our current WRs have worked hard on blocking and have gotten better at doing it downfield, but they don't even come close to instilling palpable fear into opposing safeties. We need that again and it does affect the game.

As far as the rest of it, for me, it is difficult to include current players who are still building a resume into the discussion. For example, I would place Robbie Godhigh and Orwin Smith at the top of the AB heap. But, let's be honest here, Clinton Lynch has built an impressive set of stats thus far in his tenure. However, where he finishes is hard to say. How will the new QB affect his numbers? Could it be that he and JT had a "thing" where they were just on the same page? My sense is that he will continue to be productive because he is an intelligent and savvy player, but I just don't know. The same is true for Mills. All signs appear to be pointing in the right direction, but there is so much water yet to go under the bridge.

JT is finished and his resume complete. Clearly, he belongs as number one QB. The rest are all debatable, and have already been to nauseating degree on this board.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I miss the good old days when someone would have thrown Brad Stewart out there by now and half the forum would explode

No way Brad should be ranked higher than second. Now after this year...;) I just wish CPJ would have the players race each other or do anything that will give us something fresh to talk about. The season can't get here soon enough.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
For Tech...

OG: Uzzi and Shaq are locks
C: Bedford is a lock
OT: I'd have to think about it more
WR: Thomas is a lock. Then Smelter. Then Hill.
BB: Dwyer
AB: Roddy is the only lock. Orwin/Godhigh/Lynch are gonna have claims.
QB: JT5 would have been a lock without 3-9. Nesbitt's in the discussion. I can't get that '09 FSU strip out of my head.

DT: Probably Walker and Richards from '08. Sigh.
DE: Morgan and Johnson. Again, sigh.
OLB: Attaochu is miles ahead. Then probably Watts.
MLB: honestly it might be Davis
CB: pretty stout here. I'd go with White and Sweeting. Jemea with a claim
S: Burnett and...Isaiah?

Sneezy is a OLB for the Chargers but played DE for us, at a very high level his last 2 years. Man we have missed that kind of presence off the edge since his departure for the NFL.

These lists, and the glaring differences between the O and D lists, really show the imbalance in talent we have had between those two units. The D has been more lacking in elite level guys.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sneezy is a OLB for the Chargers but played DE for us, at a very high level his last 2 years. Man we have missed that kind of presence off the edge since his departure for the NFL.

These lists, and the glaring differences between the O and D lists, really show the imbalance in talent we have had between those two units. The D has been more lacking in elite level guys.

Bias. More Defenders have gotten NFL shots.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
BS. How many of those played at elite levels on the field for us? How many panned out in the NFL?

Well, how they played for us includes D scheme. Just as O includes O scheme.

The same standard of NFL invites/contracts applies to both O players and D players. D has had more.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Attaochu was an OLB in Groh's 3-4 if I remember correctly.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well, how they played for us includes D scheme. Just as O includes O scheme.

The same standard of NFL invites/contracts applies to both O players and D players. D has had more.

Invites and tryouts don't mean a Hill of beans if contracts don't follow. Name one D player who had his talent squandered only to go into the NFL to ball out and prove it. I concede that's a pretty high standard but that seems to be the narrative you are pushing here.

TJ Barnes? Got a contract but I don't think he ever saw any significant playing time. Brandon Watts maybe?

Put Pat Swilling, Marco Coleman, Greg Gathers in any scheme, playing for day DC, and those dudes will ball out and stand out...period.

All this is a digression of my original point that I may not have made clear enough. I'm not saying we have had zero difference makers on that side. We just haven't enjoyed the luxury of having multiple elite level guys performing at that level at the same time / same year much. We've had more situations with elite senior playing on same team as a, in the future to be elite, freshman that wont play at that level until he matures to junior / senior year himself. This has not been the case on O except for..... maybe.... 2015.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Invites and tryouts don't mean a Hill of beans if contracts don't follow. Name one D player who had his talent squandered only to go into the NFL to ball out and prove it. I concede that's a pretty high standard but that seems to be the narrative you are pushing here.

TJ Barnes? Got a contract but I don't think he ever saw any significant playing time. Brandon Watts maybe?

Put Pat Swilling, Marco Coleman, Greg Gathers in any scheme, playing for day DC, and those dudes will ball out and stand out...period.

All this is a digression of my original point that I may not have made clear enough. I'm not saying we have had zero difference makers on that side. We just haven't enjoyed the luxury of having multiple elite level guys performing at that level at the same time / same year much. We've had more situations with elite senior playing on same team as a, in the future to be elite, freshman that wont play at that level until he matures to junior / senior year himself. This has not been the case on O except for..... maybe.... 2015.

I think you misunderstood me.

I was responding to this part of your quote:
These lists, and the glaring differences between the O and D lists, really show the imbalance in talent we have had between those two units.​
"Imbalance in talent!" I was not saying that our D had great talent. I was saying that the NFL has found more talent from our D than from our O as worthy of some kind of relationship. Same standard for both units.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think you misunderstood me.

I was responding to this part of your quote:
These lists, and the glaring differences between the O and D lists, really show the imbalance in talent we have had between those two units.​
"Imbalance in talent!" I was not saying that our D had great talent. I was saying that the NFL has found more talent from our D than from our O as worthy of some kind of relationship. Same standard for both units.

List them and let's compare then. I really think you are over valuing the " NFL relationship."

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I went with body of work. Hill played for all 4 years and yes we remember some drops but we forget some really great catches and reverses. Bey Bey dropped a few as well, 4 and 13 at the Georgia 20 in 2009. Smelter was great but Hill just played more and had as many crucial catches. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjp7YX7ruPUAhVs7YMKHUt_AyQQtwIIKDAA&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCzi9qcE3TM&usg=AFQjCNENuAtnYLArMGPzIoHTGhNydhCYXQ
nvm

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
My CPJ GT Depth Chart (Skill Players Only):

QB1: JeT
QB2: Josh Nesbitt
QB3: Tevin Washington

BB1: J. Dwyer
BB2: Anthony Allen
BB3: Days/Laskey Combo (sue me)

WR1: Demaryius Thomas
WR2: Smelter