Jordan Yates

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah, me too. But most of the time that was because when people looked at Paul's QBs (that is who you are talking about, right?) they did so by comparing them to QBs on conventional spread teams, not by gaging whether they could actually, you know, win in the spread option. Same thing goes for, say, Kansas State under Bill Synder. Those teams won a lot, but people were always complaining about the QB play because guys like Jesse Ertz didn't look like conventional spread QBs and weren't highly rated out of high school. Largely, of course, because they didn't look like conventional spread QBs.

What matters about QB play is whether the team wins with the QB on the field or, at least, has a chance to do so. I think it is too bad that Yates is going to be stuck with winning against a really good UNC team; he could play quite well and we'll probably still lose. But them's the odds.

Nope--go back to our 2002 roster. Reggie Ball came in the next year and crushed them all.

We had a ex-pro HC and OC as our head coach, and ran a pro-style offense, and fans like me wondered who would hit our receivers with a pass.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Yates is going to continue to get starts unless/until he plays poorly in a game or Sims drastically improves in practice.....if Yates keeps progressing and starts actually winning games, he's going to be awfully hard to unseat.

Yes...this is just common sense.

I could also see Sims used in a package where he does what he does best. Could give teams more to prep for without too much extra work on our side. Cutcliffe did this to good advantage at Duke when he had the personal.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It was this year. You know, the year he wasn't a true freshman in a Covid season? Don't think it's really fair to judge him by last year when he was drinking from a fire hose. Not really a good comparison to a 3rd-year player.

Yates has only been in the program for 1 year more than Sims. Both of them experienced the same COVID year. The main difference is that Sims had the benefit of starting and playing in every game last year, getting first team reps all the while. Yes, I really do think the comparisons are fair at this point.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Start Sims. Yates is great but you don’t ignore quarterbacks unless they’re walk ons.

We don’t have a good QB commit this cycle. AJ? Tevin?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The relative of Yates that played for the Texans - TJ Yates - did a good job for a team that was loaded on defense.
IIrc - he won the battle for the position over a run and shoot qb from Texas Tech. Their long term plan was for a more athletic qb that could run - they ultimately got the Clemson qb in the draft.

just saw the article on the gtaa site that says TJ has been helping Jordan since he was a kid. no wonder you guys are optimistic about him.

i am getting hopeful - mostly about the beer and boiled shrimp for the tail gate - but some about Jordan - throwing darts.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yates has only been in the program for 1 year more than Sims. Both of them experienced the same COVID year. The main difference is that Sims had the benefit of starting and playing in every game last year, getting first team reps all the while. Yes, I really do think the comparisons are fair at this point.
I think comparing this year is very fair. Just don't compare Yates this year as a guy 3 years into the program (probably 20 or 21) to Sims last year, a true freshman straight out of HS last year (18 or 19). That's not really a fair comparison. I'm all for either of them being wildly successful.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think comparing this year is very fair. Just don't compare Yates this year as a guy 3 years into the program (probably 20 or 21) to Sims last year, a true freshman straight out of HS last year (18 or 19). That's not really a fair comparison. I'm all for either of them being wildly successful.
Sims had a year of starts and practice with the starters. I would also argue his experience is way above Yates.

I am also for either to be wildly successful.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Nope--go back to our 2002 roster. Reggie Ball came in the next year and crushed them all.

We had a ex-pro HC and OC as our head coach, and ran a pro-style offense, and fans like me wondered who would hit our receivers with a pass.
True. But so was my post. What it boils down to is that fans are fickle. Some coaches are too, but usually not for long.

Btw, I remember seeing Chan's face when a reporter asked him if Reg had a strong enough arm to run the O. He looked over at O'Brien and both of them looked ta the reporter like he had two heads. You can say lots of things about Reg's liabilities as a QB, but a weak arm was definitely not one of them.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Yates plays lights out the rest of the way and we win some ball games I dont see Sims getting that chance you so desperately think will happen. I guess only time will tell, but that mountain that Sims needs to climb to overtake Yates is growing bigger every week. Either way, I think the positive take away from all of this is this will continue to drive competition in practice and i'm sure we can all agree that in either situation we now know we have a serviceable backup. Good problem to have!
I think Sims will absolutely get a shot at the starting job again, it just may not be in a game. And it may not even be until the off-season but every coach will give every player a shot at moving up the depth chart, that’s why they are on the team, to compete.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
Yates bein with the program for three years compared to Jeff’s 2 is irrelevant.. they both got practice time with the starters but Sims has had more game time with the starters! And beings Sims was such a highly touted recruit out of high school is basically why he was given the startin job last year and never lost it, even though he had 23 turnovers!! (insert true freshman comeback for amount of turnovers) I get it, but Yates was still a redshirt freshman and had less than 20 passing attempts and less than 20 carries combined between his first two years! Sims was a better recruited quarterback and was gonna get the better bet at bein the starter regardless of practice reps!

And your argument about last season bein a “COVID” season and to advocate for Sims’ poor stats is irrelevant dude.. football is football! They played the same teams last year as they are playin this year, with even more athletes!

Yates has been with the team since ‘19.. Sims ‘20.. his one year of practice squad experience is not giving him a huge advantage over Sims’ abundance of game time experience! But Yates has obviously made better of his game time stats and abilities (although short) than Sims has. Sims may be a great athlete but he hasn’t proved he is the no doubt face of a program either. I want Tech to win just as bad as anybody else in this forum, but stats are stats and hype is just hype until it can produce worthy stats, and Sims hasn’t produced those kinda stats to support his hype or recruiting record.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yates bein with the program for three years compared to Jeff’s 2 is irrelevant.. they both got practice time with the starters but Sims has had more game time with the starters! And beings Sims was such a highly touted recruit out of high school is basically why he was given the startin job last year and never lost it, even though he had 23 turnovers!! This is your opinion based on what? You were in the QB room? You were on the practice fields last year? This is pure speculation based on what you think might be the reason. (insert true freshman comeback for amount of turnovers) I get it, but Yates was still a redshirt freshman and had less than 20 passing attempts and less than 20 carries combined between his first two years! I love Yates as a QB. I've repeatedly said this, over and over. Yates didn't beat out Graham for whatever reason as a True Freshman, he didn't beat out Sims as a 2nd year True Freshman. I don't know the reason why and neither do you. It took 2 years for the light to finally come on for Joe Hamilton. Maybe Yates is the same; we'll see. Sims was a better recruited quarterback and was gonna get the better bet at bein the starter regardless of practice reps! Again, pure supposition because you weren't in the coaches' meetings or the QB room or on the practice fields.

And your argument about last season bein a “COVID” season and to advocate for Sims’ poor stats is irrelevant dude. Wow! Now you're mischaracterizing what I said about last year being a Covid year. I didn't use it to advocate for anything . My point was that with the chaos of Covid19, the performance of the team in general was not as cohesive as a normal year, which affected everyone's play. Personally, based on what I saw, I don't think Sims was ready to start last year. Would he have been if he had had a full Spring? Maybe, but we'll never know. Also, last year's season was the tale of two halves. The first half of the season was markedly different than the second half. football is football! They played the same teams last year as they are playin this year, with even more athletes! Um, no they didn't. We didn't play NIU last year. We didn't play KSU last year. The Clemson team we played last year with Lawrence and Etiene is not the same team we just played. We're not the same team either, so I'm not really sure you point has any relavance. Hopefully we win the rest of our games and go 10-2. It starts with 1 this weekend.

Yates has been with the team since ‘19.. Sims ‘20.. his one year of practice squad experience is not giving him a huge advantage over Sims’ abundance of game time experience! Again, an opinion based on what? You're experience on a P5 college football team understanding what a back-up QB gets from practice. BTW, Yates wasn't the "practice squad" (better known as the Scout Team) QB in '19. But Yates has obviously made better of his game time stats and abilities (although short) than Sims has. Sims may be a great athlete but he hasn’t proved he is the no doubt face of a program either. I want Tech to win just as bad as anybody else in this forum, but stats are stats and hype is just hype until it can produce worthy stats, and Sims hasn’t produced those kinda stats to support his hype or recruiting record. Stop trying to change the whole narrative. I've strongly supported Yates in every comment I've made. I've also said that Sims will get his change to keep his spot when he is finally healthy, however that looks. It will be a combination of practice and game time. Repeatedly, I've said Yates has that IT factor that some guys just have. I'm happy with whoever helps us win.
Sigh. Are you just looking to argue? It's obvious you're not reading what I've written over and over. I'm not a dude, so don't call me "dude."

I'll say this again one last time. Comparing what Yates has done this year to what Sims did last year is apples to oranges. Comparing what Yates has done this year to what Sims has and will do this year, is absolutely fair. There are a number of fonts that either have reading comprehension issues or just want to be argumentive.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Sigh. Are you just looking to argue? It's obvious you're not reading what I've written over and over. I'm not a dude, so don't call me "dude."

I'll say this again one last time. Comparing what Yates has done this year to what Sims did last year is apples to oranges. Comparing what Yates has done this year to what Sims has and will do this year, is absolutely fair. There are a number of fonts that either have reading comprehension issues or just want to be argumentive.
I think a lot of the argument is from different understandings of the blanket statement - "You can't lose your position due to injury". Does that mean that if a starting QB is injured, that he is automatically the starter again once he is over the injury regardless of anything else that happens? Does that mean that the injury itself doesn't count against him in analyzing who the starter should be? Is it something somewhere in between those?

kalld12

Banned
Both practiced with the 1's. But I wholeheartedly agree this year head-to-head is a fair comparison. Best man up.
Imagine if Yates had a whole year of starts. Stop comparing practice to game speed. Nothing replicates it. Yates came in with less starting experience than Sims by a mile. No excuses

kalld12

Banned
Yates bein with the program for three years compared to Jeff’s 2 is irrelevant.. they both got practice time with the starters but Sims has had more game time with the starters! And beings Sims was such a highly touted recruit out of high school is basically why he was given the startin job last year and never lost it, even though he had 23 turnovers!! (insert true freshman comeback for amount of turnovers) I get it, but Yates was still a redshirt freshman and had less than 20 passing attempts and less than 20 carries combined between his first two years! Sims was a better recruited quarterback and was gonna get the better bet at bein the starter regardless of practice reps!

And your argument about last season bein a “COVID” season and to advocate for Sims’ poor stats is irrelevant dude.. football is football! They played the same teams last year as they are playin this year, with even more athletes!

Yates has been with the team since ‘19.. Sims ‘20.. his one year of practice squad experience is not giving him a huge advantage over Sims’ abundance of game time experience! But Yates has obviously made better of his game time stats and abilities (although short) than Sims has. Sims may be a great athlete but he hasn’t proved he is the no doubt face of a program either. I want Tech to win just as bad as anybody else in this forum, but stats are stats and hype is just hype until it can produce worthy stats, and Sims hasn’t produced those kinda stats to support his hype or recruiting record.
100%. Some people just don't get it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of the argument is from different understandings of the blanket statement - "You can't lose your position due to injury". Does that mean that if a starting QB is injured, that he is automatically the starter again once he is over the injury regardless of anything else that happens? Does that mean that the injury itself doesn't count against him in analyzing who the starter should be? Is it something somewhere in between those?
Will Bryan -played as a freshman but in Sr year was on the billboards for iirc - injured in USF and next practice. Never saw the field in prime time. Coaches make decisions based on lots of things (newly revealed offensive scheme - pitch to b back around end was working with TO at qb, is he really still injured, this is his last year - need develop next year talent) and then we get to type blah blah. Life is not fair all the time. The last year of the option - coach would not play any back up - stuck with the running warrior who was not at all accurate with passes. He made his call.

BUT the coaches see so much more in practice. This assumes the have high speed good verses good to judge skill positions).

I wonder how did Sims look so inaccurate and yates look so accurate in game situations. Watching ACC network - Mark Reicht sayed the Sims hype has not passed the accurate passer test.
If Yates continues to be very accurate and timely during the games - we have to wonder is it
1. is Collins running a slow practice where any good hs qb can make right decisions and be accurate,
2. is our OC really good enough to get us to the next level.
3. is it a miracle?

I am hoping the yates can help or skill players developed - and then when Sims is needed - he can not have to wonder if they will be open.

Its highly unlikely that we are about to see a run like we had in 2014 starting in the NCST game. We had barely beaten Ga southern and some scrub team and then lost to crummy duke and unc teams. We will likely sputter as we do not have the senior talent that our 2014 team had. They made plays in games and new what to do as the play developed. They were high speed machines. Thank you Cheese - i was wrong they option needed senior players and constantly updated blocking schemes. The crow my ND buddy served up tasted really bad.

Go Yates, Go Sims, Go GT