Jordan Yates

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
All im asking is stop pushing the narrative that Sims doesnt have as much experience as Sims because its just not true. Sims has much more "gametime" experience with the starters than Yates does and thats just a FACT! I do agree with you that Sims will see some playing time at some point, but he will hae to play LIGHTS OUT to regain the starting spot and/or Yates must implode which i dont forsee happening. Yates is a game manager like an Alex Smith, it translates to wins overtime. In my opinion, we will have a better chance to win more games this year with Yates, than Sims. We will see how Yates does against another worthy opponent this weekend in UNC. GO JACKETS!
Here's where you've either come into the middle of a discussion and are missing the whole basis of the discussion or are just not paying attention to what has been written. I'm going to assume it's the former.

No one is pushing the narrative that Sims doesn't have as much experience as Yates (fixed that for you). That's you misunderstanding the basis for a comment that was probably several pages before. So, if .you're going to pop into the discussion in the middle, you should be sure you understand WHY what was said, was said.

The comment about Sims and experience in the program had to do with someone comparing Yates's statistics so far this year with Sims's statistics last year. This was also a sidebar from another discussion, so it's even more convoluted. Comparing Yates's statistics so far this year (which I am very happy with) to Sims's statistics last year (which were up and down as you would expect with a true freshman) isn't comparing apples to apples. Sims's experience last year as a true freshman is not comparable with Yates's experience this year (as a guy who's been in the program for 3 years). Experience here is time in the system.

NOW, comparing what Sims did in the first 10 minutes of NIU to what Yates has done since is absolutely a valid comparison, one that Sims doesn't show well in. I've said from the beginning of this discussion that I love Yates as a QB and that he's shown that IT factor, dating back to when he was in HS. He just somehow makes plays, sometimes inexplicably. Joe Hamilton had that. I'm hoping Yates is as successful for us as Hamilton was back then. I will say CDP is no CRF, so he's starting handicapped.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I have two lovers, both think I am great in every way, but I cannot decide if I like one better than the other, do I have a girlfriend controversy???

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Sims has also made plays against Clemson that Yates hasn’t shown the ability to make. Maybe we start Yates against UNC and score 40, or maybe we start him and score zero touchdowns again. Idk. But from what I’ve seen, Sims gives us a better chance of scoring points.

A wide open underthrown post against a Coverage bust set up by play action. Yates has already thrown 2 post for TD this season.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I really love how passionate we all are about GT football.... I just don't understand how this fan base chooses to be divided on every issue. Old-school coach vs. new-school coach, Yates vs. Sims, program ceiling vs. unlimited potential. You all know I have participated in those discussions as well, though not as much as others.

Is everyone not as tired of it as I am? I lurked on this website for a while before posting, so I have kept up on all of the coach discussions over the years........ good times...........

Yates has done well for us. I think he should keep starting. That said, let's all hope that all of these student athletes have success on and off the field. In the end, as long as we see improvement and grow as a program, I don't give a flying you-know-what who starts and gets snaps regardless of what my opinions are. All of this empty conjecture and arguing just must act as entertainment for some of us.

Let's just have a program we can be proud of (which I hope we are building towards) and root for out team no matter what coach or QB we have.

Bring on the mustache-twirling, University of Virginia wannabe tar-holes!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A couple of posts have been moved in this thread. It's best to remember that opinions are NOT facts and that those who don't agree with your opinions are NOT, by default, idiots, morons, stupid, illiterate, etc. Also these are merely games and that word, in and of itself, implies fun and/or entertainment and/or diversion from the actual work that we do that allows to care about this game. Remember Maslow's hierarchy of needs. If you don't have air or food or adequate internet service or if Uber Eats isn't available in your neighborhood, you aren't sweating who starts at QB.

Carry on gentle readers as you will.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I really love how passionate we all are about GT football.... I just don't understand how this fan base chooses to be divided on every issue. Old-school coach vs. new-school coach, Yates vs. Sims, program ceiling vs. unlimited potential. You all know I have participated in those discussions as well, though not as much as others.

Is everyone not as tired of it as I am? I lurked on this website for a while before posting, so I have kept up on all of the coach discussions over the years........ good times...........

Yates has done well for us. I think he should keep starting. That said, let's all hope that all of these student athletes have success on and off the field. In the end, as long as we see improvement and grow as a program, I don't give a flying you-know-what who starts and gets snaps regardless of what my opinions are. All of this empty conjecture and arguing just must act as entertainment for some of us.

Let's just have a program we can be proud of (which I hope we are building towards) and root for out team no matter what coach or QB we have.

Honestly if we win everyone would get along 100x better. Everyone is always much more agreeable after a win lol

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

I understand what you are saying but these type of forums are where these type of fan conversations occur. We are no more divided than any other fan base. It’s the nature of humans to feel “divided” if someone doesn’t agree 100%. I view these message boards as hugely important, not because any of us have the answers but because it gives us a platform to see what other fans think and to keep the juices flowing. I personally love all viewpoints and I can see where they are all coming from. I have my view and it’s probably not going to change at this point in my life. But I absolutely can understand where opposite viewpoints are coming from. Again, we are not divided at all because we all want GT win win every game and score on every possession. It’s healthy to ”talk it out” after losses or lackluster play. Apathy is the true enemy, not disagreeing.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you are saying but these type of forums are where these type of fan conversations occur. We are no more divided than any other fan base. It’s the nature of humans to feel “divided” if someone doesn’t agree 100%. I view these message boards as hugely important, not because any of us have the answers but because it gives us a platform to see what other fans think and to keep the juices flowing. I personally love all viewpoints and I can see where they are all coming from. I have my view and it’s probably not going to change at this point in my life. But I absolutely can understand where opposite viewpoints are coming from. Again, we are not divided at all because we all want GT win win every game and score on every possession. It’s healthy to ”talk it out” after losses or lackluster play. Apathy is the true enemy, not disagreeing.
I have to agree with you. I live in Chicago now. If I want to avoid anything college football, I have that opportunity by just not bringing it up. On here I have the opportunity to discuss what I want to discuss (GT sports) without having to wade through anything uga. That's just awesome.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I only know a couple of people on here personally. I’m certain a large percentage work at companies that stare at systemic problems, know what the solutions are, yet few get acted on. It’s not uncommon. Very rare is the organization that actually changes much for the better. People complain at their work places, like they complain here. It’s really not much different.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
As you should! I'm pretty sure a GT Swarm tailgate would be an AMAZING time. Lots of colorful characters on this board, and lots of members with some good taste in food...except for @kg01 taste in ice cream. We'll let him bring the bottled water.

As long as it isn't too far to drive (can't fly with kegs), I'll bring the beer.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, me too. But most of the time that was because when people looked at Paul's QBs (that is who you are talking about, right?) they did so by comparing them to QBs on conventional spread teams, not by gaging whether they could actually, you know, win in the spread option. Same thing goes for, say, Kansas State under Bill Synder. Those teams won a lot, but people were always complaining about the QB play because guys like Jesse Ertz didn't look like conventional spread QBs and weren't highly rated out of high school. Largely, of course, because they didn't look like conventional spread QBs.

What matters about QB play is whether the team wins with the QB on the field or, at least, has a chance to do so. I think it is too bad that Yates is going to be stuck with winning against a really good UNC team; he could play quite well and we'll probably still lose. But them's the odds.
Or, if he were really OLD, like me, he would recall the time during the 1960s when both Larry Good and Kim King (good quarterbacks by the way) were injured and Dodd resorted to using a defensive back, Bill Eastman to finish a game. During the late 1970s we had a revolving door at quarterback it seems due to injuries. A quarterback who spends much of the game running for his life should not be judged nearly as harshly as the offensive line but then, they generally get yelled out even when they are blocking good. IIWII