Jordan Yates

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You throwing some corn, potatos, and sausages in with the shrimp? If the answer it "Yes", where's the tailgate?!! LOL
Good idea but not enough room for the full deal shrimp boil. i am not a good cook but i associate with the best .

The Campbells were awesome with their Louisiana spread.

I just added steamed shelled and deveined shrimp and cocktail Sause from Joe Patties in Pensacola.

Driving up in AM. At a small joint in on 85 near Newnan (sic) we are picking up slab of ribs.

Wife wants wine and cheese with shrimp?

As bad as we are you need lots of other add ons to enjoy the game.

Being a GT fan is not for the weak.

Come by home depot lot if you are near by. When you see ribs, boiled shrimp, beer, wine, cheese, and Jack , just say Go Jackets and you are welcome.

When we go to a major bowl - i am all in on having a gtswarm tail gate.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Imagine if Yates had a whole year of starts. Stop comparing practice to game speed. Nothing replicates it. Yates came in with less starting experience than Sims by a mile. No excuses
What are you talking about? Your entire comment makes no sense.

This is the whole problem with this thread. NO ONE is making excuses for anything. No one said Sims had less experience this year as Yates. NO ONE!!! The only people saying ANYTHING negative about a GT QB are those of you who are knocking Sims. Stop twisting what I've said to what you want to argue against.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of the argument is from different understandings of the blanket statement - "You can't lose your position due to injury". Does that mean that if a starting QB is injured, that he is automatically the starter again once he is over the injury regardless of anything else that happens? Does that mean that the injury itself doesn't count against him in analyzing who the starter should be? Is it something somewhere in between those?
To me, it means that when Sims comes back healthy, he'll have an opportunity to regain his starting position. This will definitely be in practice. It most likely will include game time (I truly believe it will), but does not mean that Sims will just be inserted as the starter when he is healthy. I've never said that and haven't read where anyone else has ever said that. Some fonts on here are just so quick to want to pick an argument that they read into what someone says what they want to hear.

I swear, when I was at Tech there was an expression about Tech grads being functionally illiterate. That was generally a comment about engineers not writing well. I think it can be extended here to those that have little to no reading comprehension skills.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good idea but not enough room for the full deal shrimp boil. i am not a good cook but i associate with the best .

I just added steamed shelled and deveined shrimp and cocktail Sause from Joe Patties in Pensacola.

Driving up in AM. At a small joint in on 85 near Newnan (sic) we are picking up slab of ribs.

Come by home depot lot if you are near by. When you see ribs, boiled shrimp, beer, wine, cheese, and Jack , just say Go Jackets and you are welcome.

You are the man! I will definitely take you up on your hospitality one of these days. Will be out of town for this game unfortunately.

GT Swarm tailgate would be great when we make a bowl game.

The ribs and shrimp with your wife's cheese sounds like an amazing time...hopefully some whiskey will be in the mix! Have fun this weeked my friend, and GO JACKETS!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are the man! I will definitely take you up on your hospitality one of these days. Will be out of town for this game unfortunately.

GT Swarm tailgate would be great when we make a bowl game.

The ribs and shrimp with your wife's cheese sounds like an amazing time...hopefully some whiskey will be in the mix! Have fun this weeked my friend, and GO JACKETS!
I think I want to fly down to join this tailgate!!!!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
To me, it means that when Sims comes back healthy, he'll have an opportunity to regain his starting position. This will definitely be in practice. It most likely will include game time (I truly believe it will), but does not mean that Sims will just be inserted as the starter when he is healthy. I've never said that and haven't read where anyone else has ever said that. Some fonts on here are just so quick to want to pick an argument that they read into what someone says what they want to hear.

I swear, when I was at Tech there was an expression about Tech grads being functionally illiterate. That was generally a comment about engineers not writing well. I think it can be extended here to those that have little to no reading comprehension skills.

If we take CGC at his word, and truly believe that he means what he says with "competition is king" then of course he's going to have an opportunity to "regain" his starting position. Conversely, that would also mean that any other non-starter on the team has the chance to overtake the person ahead of them. That's the culture we are supposedly building, right?

My position is that it's moot. It doesn't matter whether or not Sims gets more or less of a chance than some prefer. What matters is that the guy starting, whoever he is, helps us climb back to football respectability and soon. But to go back to the OP on this thread, which I've included below, at least as far as the SWARM is concerned, he is right. We do have a QB controversy on our hands.

He is better than I thought. I think the Coaches built Sims up to be the savior of the program and now they have a QB controversy on their hands.

Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think I want to fly down to join this tailgate!!!!

As you should! I'm pretty sure a GT Swarm tailgate would be an AMAZING time. Lots of colorful characters on this board, and lots of members with some good taste in food...except for @kg01 taste in ice cream. We'll let him bring the bottled water.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
As you should! I'm pretty sure a GT Swarm tailgate would be an AMAZING time. Lots of colorful characters on this board, and lots of members with some good taste in food...except for @kg01 taste in ice cream. We'll let him bring the bottled water.
Any shot at ice cream choice is a good shot in my book, but I would think we can trust him to bring something better than water (y):unsure:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If we take CGC at his word, and truly believe that he means what he says with "competition is king" then of course he's going to have an opportunity to "regain" his starting position. Conversely, that would also mean that any other non-starter on the team has the chance to overtake the person ahead of them. That's the culture we are supposedly building, right?

My position is that it's moot. It doesn't matter whether or not Sims gets more or less of a chance than some prefer. What matters is that the guy starting, whoever he is, helps us climb back to football respectability and soon. But to go back to the OP on this thread, which I've included below, at least as far as the SWARM is concerned, he is right. We do have a QB controversy on our hands.
I don't think we do yet. I think we could if not handled correctly. If it's all about competition, then it should be earned on the field and won't be a problem. We'll have to see if that's how it pans out.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't think we do yet. I think we could if not handled correctly. If it's all about competition, then it should be earned on the field and won't be a problem. We'll have to see if that's how it pans out.

Gonna pick on you for a second since you've been complaining about other fonts reading comprehension. ;)

I said as far as the SWARM is concerned we have a QB controversy. 15 pages of this back and forth says I am right on this one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let there be no doubt, Sims will have the OPPORTUNITY to be a starter again. The key word there is opportunity. It's not a given!

There's an AJC article that was published this week where Patenaude has alluded that Sims will play again. His case for playing Sims was Sims physical abilities make it hard to keep him off the field (he references the explosive 25 yards of rushing off 2 carries against NIU).

IMO, the football team knows who deserves to play. They see them in practice. Anyone who has ever played sports knows that certain guys will produce...and those that don't deserve to play. Teammates are like us...they talk. I have zero doubts that the team will not be happy if a player that doesn't deserve to play, plays and diminishes their chance of winning.

If Sims plays, it's because he deserves to play. At this point though, Yates deserves to start and build upon what he's done so far. If Yates can't move the ball, it will be Sims's chance to work his way back in.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Gonna pick on you for a second since you've been complaining about other fonts reading comprehension. ;)

I said as far as the SWARM is concerned we have a QB controversy. 15 pages of this back and forth says I am right on this one.
I'm not sure we do. I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that Yates starts. I think the discussion is whether Sims is now a healthy #2 or injured #1 who will get a chance to regain healthy #1 when healthy. At this point, it's all opinion and conjecture.

kalld12

Banned
What are you talking about? Your entire comment makes no sense.

This is the whole problem with this thread. NO ONE is making excuses for anything. No one said Sims had less experience this year as Yates. NO ONE!!! The only people saying ANYTHING negative about a GT QB are those of you who are knocking Sims. Stop twisting what I've said to what you want to argue against.
What makes no sense? Well let me simplify for you so you can understand.

Fact # 1 - Whether or not Yates has 3 years in the program, its irrelevant. Whats relevant is game time experience, where the speed of the game and the athletes were playing are going 110% against us in an effort to win. To think the same speed is being replicated in practice is nonsense against our own teammates, the same "want" to go 110% will never be there in practice. Sims had a entire year of starting experience in the ACC, more time to build chemistry and route timing with his WR's, more time to build even better chemistry with his OL, and yet we continue to argue the fact that Sims should somehow get a free pass due to his lack of time in program. The argument holds no weight, and is ALL excuses in my honest opinion. Yates has less time with the 1st team offense in real live game situations than Sims and is performing better to date.

Fact #2 - Some players are "practice players" meaning they do well in practice, but come gametime they dont execute to the same level shown in practice due to jitters, nerves, overthinking, etc...To date, Yates has rose to the occasion and is better in gametime situations making the right decisions, delivering the ball accurately, not killing drives with careless turnovers, and spreading the football around to 5+ WR's a game which means the defense cant stack the box as much as we've seen in the past.

Fact #3 - Sometimes you don't know what you have until the starter is injured and your backup is thrust into the game and outperforms the starter whether their ceiling is higher or not. In CFB history there's dozens of examples of this happening. Notre Dame QB situation a few years back is a perfect example. Brandon Wimbush was the starter, went down due to injury, was replaced by Ian Book and never regained his starting spot and transferred to UCF. Thats just 1 example.

All im asking is stop pushing the narrative that Sims doesnt have as much experience as Sims because its just not true. Sims has much more "gametime" experience with the starters than Yates does and thats just a FACT! I do agree with you that Sims will see some playing time at some point, but he will hae to play LIGHTS OUT to regain the starting spot and/or Yates must implode which i dont forsee happening. Yates is a game manager like an Alex Smith, it translates to wins overtime. In my opinion, we will have a better chance to win more games this year with Yates, than Sims. We will see how Yates does against another worthy opponent this weekend in UNC. GO JACKETS!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Sprayberry’s BBQ?

slugboy

Staff member
There's an AJC article that was published this week where Patenaude has alluded that Sims will play again. His case for playing Sims was Sims physical abilities make it hard to keep him off the field (he references the explosive 25 yards of rushing off 2 carries against NIU).

IMO, the football team knows who deserves to play. They see them in practice. Anyone who has ever played sports knows that certain guys will produce...and those that don't deserve to play. Teammates are like us...they talk. I have zero doubts that the team will not be happy if a player that doesn't deserve to play, plays and diminishes their chance of winning.

If Sims plays, it's because he deserves to play. At this point though, Yates deserves to start and build upon what he's done so far. If Yates can't move the ball, it will be Sims's chance to work his way back in.
Headlines and the actual stories under them are different animals. There's nothing in the story from the coaches that indicate there's a doubt, but the writer asks it and it becomes the headline.

This quote is pretty useful, though:
“We’re fortunate that both guys are good players,” Patenaude said. “I think the challenge is finding a role for both. It’s a great luxury to have that. We’re fortunate to have either of them.”

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think Sims will absolutely get a shot at the starting job again, it just may not be in a game.
Thing is, where Yates has excelled is in the game. More than anything, it's the quick decision making in the heat of battle that is his bread and butter.
I don't know how Sims could prove his mettle except on the field in a live game, not just the practice field.
More than any other position, QB requires fast thinking skills that can only be proven on game day.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Hint 2 QB's can be the death of a coach, no matter which one he picks half will not be on his side.
one of them will likely not be back next year if this isn't handled well by the coaches. Sims wants to be "the guy" and go to the NFL. Yates doesn't have the NFL measurables but could be another Russell Wilson. He could end up playing against us next year on some team after he graduates. I want them both but there is only one ball on the field at a time.