Jordan Yates

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
who actually said that?

Yates has certainly been better than I thought he would be, but the way some people in here are talking about him you would think we scored 5 touchdowns against Clemson instead of ...zero.

He’s been solid. I’d still rather us start Sims. Much higher ceiling imo. Has a much stronger arm and a better runner. Just has to hope he holds on to the ball.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s fair. The truth is that we don’t know how Sims would have played in Yates’ place this year. In the NIU game, he didn’t seem like himself or like the coaches had described. Maybe he would have continued the inaccurate throws or maybe he would have settled down and run the offense really well with his athleticism creating extra wrinkles that make it hard to defend. Yates has clearly improved a lot in both his mastery of the offense and his accuracy, but that doesn’t mean that Sims didn’t still legitimately beat him out in the offseason. I’ll just say that we’re lucky to have both of them and that neither has hit his ceiling yet. But Yates has earned the right to be our starting QB for the time being at least.
Thing is, if Yates has a bad game, considering Sims has had several, does the hook come out? IMO, it shouldn't.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That's the problem. He can't hold on to the ball. Last year he had some of the strangest turnovers when the ball just slipped out of his hands while pump faking or throwing the ball. I have more confidence with Yates right now. As someone else has mentioned, there is an ease when Yates is leading the offense. He can lead the team to scoring opportunities, but if plays breakdown he protects the ball.
Why are you talking about last year? Last year has no bearing on this year. It's great that you have more confidence in Yates, but you don't really matter. I really like Yates, but I like Sims too. Both Sims and Yates were associated with fumbles. They called Yates's fumble an INT, but it was a backward lateral, so that's a fumble. Sims's was as much Mason's as his, so 1/2 a fumble. There are other things to ding Sims on or prop Yates up, but turnovers this year is not where you want to hang your hat.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Sims will get his chance, regardless. It's not a platitude, it's not lip service, and coaches actually follow it. I'm not saying Sims gets well and starts. But he will get his chance to show what he can do. He's not going to be relegated to back up just because Yates has made his play.

I'm sure some do. And some other coaches will play the player who gives them the best chance to win regardless of the circumstances that led to the situation because they're interested in winning games rather than paying homage to folksy football cliches. Personally, I'd rather have the latter. Why don't you ask a Patriots fan about this and see if they think Drew Bledsoe should have gotten his job back in 2001 as soon as he was healthy enough to play?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I would say it isn't different. If there were a hard "rule" that you cannot lose a starting position because of an injury, then the length of the injury wouldn't matter.

Coaches should start someone based on the person who provides the best opportunity to win. Whether that is win this game, or win sometime in the future is also a coach's decision. Fans don't see what happens in practice. Fans don't know how the players are performing on the field compared to the expectations that the coaches have. Being "named" a starter earlier in the year shouldn't have any more to do with the decision about who should actually start than the fans' opinion of who the starter should be. The coach should make the decision based on best opportunity to win. The coaches will be judged by winning or losing and not by who the starters were.

I think that CGC's opportunity to play for wins in the future is running out. Not saying that he should be fired right now, just saying that his runway to start taking off is getting near the end. I said in a different thread that I think the real time to take a look at progress of the team will be this week and next week. The coaches should play whichever QB they think will provide the best opportunity to win against UNC, and then against Pitt. Being named a captain and starter at the beginning of the year isn't as important as the best opportunity to win the game this weekend. Being the fan's pick isn't as important as the best opportunity to win the game this weekend.
This week and next week are critical. Unfortunately, I and most observers had expected Tech to beat Northern Illinois and be 2-1 instead of 1-2 thereby gaining a mulligan of sorts against Carolina. Carolina's losing to Virginia Tech does not help matters. For both teams, this game is pretty much a must win for different reasons. IIWII

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure some do. And some other coaches will play the player who gives them the best chance to win regardless of the circumstances that led to the situation because they're interested in winning games rather than paying homage to folksy football cliches. Personally, I'd rather have the latter. Why don't you ask a Patriots fan about this and see if they think Drew Bledsoe should have gotten his job back in 2001 as soon as he was healthy enough to play?
Right, because, that's right, he didn't come back. He was out the rest of the season. At the beginning of the season, all things reset. If you played football or any team sport growing up you know that.

Sims will get his chance. You just hide and watch. Any coach worth his salt follows that rule. Otherwise, you end up losing the locker room. As I said, I'm not saying Sims comes back as the starter as soon as he's well, but he will get his chance both in practice and in the game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So Yates is like Tevin Washington :)
Hmm...that would be a NO. I remember a game against NC State when Tevin threw a pass (of some kind) to Orwin Smith running down the sidelines and the damn thing was nearly going sideways like a helicopter rotor. Smith being the great all around athlete that he was managed to catch it. On the other hand, Tevin did something neither Yates nor Sims has been able to do and likely as not won't be able to do...beat an undefeated number 5 ranked Tiger team running that damn bone like he invented it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Hmm...that would be a NO. I remember a game against NC State when Tevin threw a pass (of some kind) to Orwin Smith running down the sidelines and the damn thing was nearly going sideways like a helicopter rotor. Smith being the great all around athlete that he was managed to catch it. On the other hand, Tevin did something neither Yates nor Sims has been able to do and likely as not won't be able to do...beat an undefeated number 5 ranked Tiger team running that damn bone like he invented it.

On that play im pretty sure his throwing motion was obstructed.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure most people are judging Sims on the entire body of work so far, not just game 1 this season. Whether that's fair or not is another story...
Agreed. But I don't think it fair to judge a 3rd-year RS Freshman to a 1st-year True Freshman that played behind that line. I think comparing these two guys head-to-head this year is absolutely fair. Sims didn't look good in his first 10 minutes, but who knows what would have happened. Again, just saying we have two guys I'm really high on and don't want to see our fans disparaging one of our student-athletes to try to prop up another one.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Agreed. But I don't think it fair to judge a 3rd-year RS Freshman to a 1st-year True Freshman that played behind that line. I think comparing these two guys head-to-head this year is absolutely fair. Sims didn't look good in his first 10 minutes, but who knows what would have happened. Again, just saying we have two guys I'm really high on and don't want to see our fans disparaging one of our student-athletes to try to prop up another one.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm just going to cheer for the guy taking the snap. Whoever that is.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm just going to cheer for the guy taking the snap. Whoever that is.

Like the old parable, I used to complain about our teams' QB's uniforms. Then, one day, I met a fan of a team who didn't even have any QB's. My paradigm shifted. ;)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
we have enough play makers with our RB's, McGowan, and improving TE that we don't have to rely on a super star QB to carry the O. Just get the ball to the right guys and athletic enough to scramble without making turnovers. So far Yates has done that. Will be interesting to see when Sims is able to go. I like Sims in the red zone when healthy with his running bit Yates is no slouch either.
None of that matters much without an OL.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
None of that matters much without an OL.
You are 100% correct, but I think our OL found itself in the Clemson game. They missed a key block on each of the goal line series in the 4th quarter on plays that could have scored, but Clemson has a great DL. Our OL matched up pretty well late in that game. Skalski made a great read and ducked under the block to make a TD saving stop. UNC doesn't have anyone on their DL of his caliber and he isn't even their best one.