Jimmy's and Joe's

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree completely. (My son teaches and coaches in east Texas - yes good teachers mak a difference but small rural schools just don't have the horsepower to equip kids.)

"Gt needs to recruit nationally in big cities - houston, dallas , san antonio etc - huge gt alumni base and gt well respected."

flee
I would not know if what I saw in 65 could happen now. I came from big school in fla - advanced chemistry, math ( calculus) so first year was not a shock to me. I helped a couple of guys from south ga who were bright and hard working to get going in Chem and calculus - they had no clue. They called me The Florida Pansy because I dropped off of the freshman team. We all did well that first semester - they studied restlessly. Later one was the best man at my wedding. Both went on to be highly successful - one a nuclear sub commander and the other to own a refining and energy company. I did ok in Texas.
I would like to think that your son will have an impact with the right kids at tech.
P.s.
Saw your kid from end zone at ND - he is really surprisingly agile. Please take this right - this year Hope he gets playing time after we are ahead in games. He is going to be a big part of gt next year + beyond.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Ugh , I obviously did not attend a STEM school , LOL Answering iceeater . Thanks for the complement on Will , he is having a blast , just wants to win . It looks like he is going to get a lot of playing time going forward . My wife subs now and tries to help anyone who wants it . She will stay after school and help with reading and even contact teachers to get them extra time after school . All the teachers where we live will stay after school and help anyone who want it . I agree it starts at home , most teachers want to teach , but many have their hands tied w all the BS that comes down from the Feds ...

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Ugh , I obviously did not attend a STEM school , LOL Answering iceeater . Thanks for the complement on Will , he is having a blast , just wants to win . It looks like he is going to get a lot of playing time going forward . My wife subs now and tries to help anyone who wants it . She will stay after school and help with reading and even contact teachers to get them extra time after school . All the teachers where we live will stay after school and help anyone who want it . I agree it starts at home , most teachers want to teach , but many have their hands tied w all the BS that comes down from the Feds ...

My wife is a teacher as well, 25 years here in GA and the last 11 in TN. If ANYBODY thinks the majority of teachers don't reach out to their students, don't go the extra mile (S), don't want the kids to succeed then they need to talk to the spouse of a teacher! All of our children were educated in public schools. 2 went to college on full academic rides (Vandy and USCe), one in is college on a partial academic and one put himself through the Univ of New Orleans. The difference was and is how much emphasis and involvement the PARENTS place on a quality education both at home and at the school!

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
There are some really good public schools , there are also many that are failing . The majority of teachers are in the profession because they have a passion to teach and be a positive influence . My parents were teachers / coaches . The NEA and Federal control has handcuffed our public school system . The Jimmies and Joes argument . The earlier post about parents , yes it starts a home . The problem is a lot of players / students do not have a good home life . Lets face it the vast majority of HS students cannot get accepted to GT , so why is anyone surprised that the vast majority of HS football players don't qualify ? GT is what College Sports is supposed to be , a game played by Student - Athletes . GT will never have the " Jock Degrees " . The Board of Regents won't allow it . They already have their schools w those degrees and its not going to change anytime soon .

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
as a Public school teacher/employee.......

I'm keeping my mouth shut here.

I will say that no one in here is 100% correct....also that no one is 100% incorrect.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For offseason I am
Going to keep fighting to get
1. A number of same degrees as UGA but with Higher (gt ) standards - just like Texas am and university Texas, UNC ncstate, etc. If uga can have degree in engineering at a lower standard than gt then we can have a rigorous sports (coaching/ management technology) program. (Thought experiment - during a future state budget cut and since gt is a research only university , why not consolidate the gt business administration degree into uga or ga state. Let their football players that nuclear engineering. The research designation is a tool the BOR uses to show favoritism to uga). Basis for change --A more rounded gt with which is in ATLANTA is a benefit to the state.

2. GTAA to recruit nationally (since 1.will be slow ) .

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I have to concur with @flea77
I currently work as an educator in Dekalb.
I won't say most but a huge pop of our kids read well below their grade level. Math is a joke. The issues are far more complex than what some are projecting on these boards. I feel for teachers because they always in the crosshairs of people who have NO Idea of what they hell they talking about.

slugboy

Staff member
Why do you believe that? Has it been stated before? Just curious, not doubting you.
It's been in the AJC last season or in spring practice as a quote from CPJ.
But, there's no reason to believe that last year was different in terms of prep and practice than this year. We played better last year than we're playing this year. I don't think it's a practice problem.
We should have as much or more talent as last year, except for some of the A-backs and receivers. There's no reason for this much of a fall off.
I've read coach quotes that players are picking up someone else's assignment. They think the other guy isn't going to do it, then you have two players blocking the same guy and one player unblocked. I keep seeing missed assignments and players like JT pushing and forcing plays. I don't think it's Jimmies and Joes--our Jimmies and Joes should be better this year than last.
I think it's just not having their minds in the right place. Getting back to basics is probably a good idea. Getting a more efficient or more successful passing game is probably a great idea.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Having a small number of seniors hurts. First, it's simply a matter of not having guys around who have been in S&C for 4-5 years. Second, the older kids will have more mature bodies biologically. Third, they will be more mature and mentally tough/especially at GT where academics harden you. Fourth, kids naturally look to seniors for leadership so it's better to have more of 'em.

I'd say our problem is less talent than it is 1) lack of seniors for reasons given above, 2) injuries at key positions necessitating playing very young guys, and 3) perhaps a feeling that we had arrived and didn't need to work as hard/prove ourselves/buying into the hype.

No excuses though...you gotta make stuff happen with what you have. Ohio St was actually pretty young last year and they won it all. From that perspective I guess you could say we have a talent issue on that basis but we will never recruit like OSU given GT academics. We have to get guys and develop them.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
as a Public school teacher/employee.......

I'm keeping my mouth shut here.

I will say that no one in here is 100% correct....also that no one is 100% incorrect.

I have to concur with @flea77
I currently work as an educator in Dekalb.
I won't say most but a huge pop of our kids read well below their grade level. Math is a joke. The issues are far more complex than what some are projecting on these boards. I feel for teachers because they always in the crosshairs of people who have NO Idea of what they hell they talking about.

I'll be brief....I am a Gt grad, former engineer and now HS math teacher. We appear to have several on this board. Please see my post in the non sports related forum.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Having a small number of seniors hurts. First, it's simply a matter of not having guys around who have been in S&C for 4-5 years. Second, the older kids will have more mature bodies biologically. Third, they will be more mature and mentally tough/especially at GT where academics harden you. Fourth, kids naturally look to seniors for leadership so it's better to have more of 'em.

I'd say our problem is less talent than it is 1) lack of seniors for reasons given above, 2) injuries at key positions necessitating playing very young guys, and 3) perhaps a feeling that we had arrived and didn't need to work as hard/prove ourselves/buying into the hype.

No excuses though...you gotta make stuff happen with what you have. Ohio St was actually pretty young last year and they won it all. From that perspective I guess you could say we have a talent issue on that basis but we will never recruit like OSU given GT academics. We have to get guys and develop them.
So you're comparing the ability of a perennial top 5 recruiting class program's ability to reload to GT's? Ok.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I just wish we could get Ohio State's worst recruiting effort consistently. Or Alabama's, or UGAG's, or........ Their bad years (being ranked out of the top 10) are better than our best generally. If we could average number 30 in the country for several consecutive years, PJ would flat out rule the roost, but I cannot see that happening between the rigors of GT and the negative recruiting against our current system. And, don't waste my time saying that our current system does not hurt D recruiting, because it does.