JG to start?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pretty simple. Until the turnovers last game, TO was the most effective QB this season at moving the ball and avoiding negative plays. And, based on his career stats. those turnovers are outliers and not a general liability for him. Graham may have wheels too, but he sure hasn't been very effective at using them so far (4 rushes for 8 yds against Temple vs. 11 rushes for 68 yards for TO). (For the season, Graham has rushed 14 times for 47 yards (1.1 yd/rush average taking into account sacks) and TO has rushed 51 times for 305 yards (5.2 yd/rush average taking into account sacks).) Pass completion percentage on the season -- 46.9% for Graham and 42.3% for TO.

But, again, if the decision has been made to go with Graham, I very much agree with that decision. I absolutely hate this QB rotation and think it is delaying any potential growth or progress for the offense.

I hear what you're saying. I'd be fine with Oliver as the starter but I'd be resigned to thinking we're not going to be much better.

I think a strong case can be made that the success(sic) Oliver has is in spite of the offense, not because of it. That's a testament to his athletic ability but it's also not a diet on which we'll win games (now or in the future). Playing Graham at least allows us to build toward something.

He'll struggle, that's for sure. That endzone pick was a prime example of why. He either never saw the safety or he didn't know to account for him. But that's the kind of mistake that can be alleviated/learned from as he plays.

We can build on that. Can't build on Oliver going essentially 1-on-11 and ending up getting yards consistently.

Just my $0.03.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty simple. Until the turnovers last game, TO was the most effective QB this season at moving the ball and avoiding negative plays. And, based on his career stats. those turnovers are outliers and not a general liability for him. Graham may have wheels too, but he sure hasn't been very effective at using them so far (4 rushes for 8 yds against Temple vs. 11 rushes for 68 yards for TO). (For the season, Graham has rushed 14 times for 47 yards (1.1 yd/rush average taking into account sacks) and TO has rushed 51 times for 305 yards (5.2 yd/rush average taking into account sacks).) Pass completion percentage on the season -- 46.9% for Graham and 42.3% for TO.

But, again, if the decision has been made to go with Graham, I very much agree with that decision. I absolutely hate this QB rotation and think it is delaying any potential growth or progress for the offense.
What you should see from these stats is that Graham doesn't run nearly as often as TO so that's good. He can sit in pressure and make reads. He is a better passer and that 46% will increase as time goes on. He has been put in in lot of pass only scenarios this year. Also, aside from the stats, we moved the ball better in the 2nd half last week than we have all year. But, idc who the QB is at this point, just pick one! I like Graham and TO but O do feel JG is our better option.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Off topic. I see the Buckeye in your handle. I’m assuming you’re an Ohio St fan. I’m possibly going to Columbus this weekend for the Mich St game. Any suggestions on where I can catch our game?

Unfortunately I haven't live in Ohio for over 20 years now. I wouldn't be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope you have a good time though!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What you should see from these stats is that Graham doesn't run nearly as often as TO so that's good. He can sit in pressure and make reads. He is a better passer and that 46% will increase as time goes on. He has been put in in lot of pass only scenarios this year. Also, aside from the stats, we moved the ball better in the 2nd half last week than we have all year. But, idc who the QB is at this point, just pick one! I like Graham and TO but O do feel JG is our better option.
Before this past game he was also over 60 percent passing. He also missed two easy throws that I think he normally makes, and there was 2 or 3 balls that were dropped. Instead of him being 10-24 he could have easily been 14-24.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Before this past game he was also over 60 percent passing. He also missed two easy throws that I think he normally makes, and there was 2 or 3 balls that were dropped. Instead of him being 10-24 he could have easily been 14-24.

I would argue I've seen some missed throws and also some high delivered balls even on completions and at times just out right no where near the WR this year from Graham. The OC even eluded to that but that seems to be developmentally and continued work and experience on that and making better reads are all correctable and at end of the day he has the talent to be a good QB in this type of offense if he continues to work and he seem's ready to work which you have to appreciate. He had to battle back on grades already and also he apparently was in Film room on Sunday morning reviewing the game tape and himself for improvement.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would argue I've seen some missed throws and also some high delivered balls even on completions and at times just out right no where near the WR this year from Graham. The OC even eluded to that but that seems to be developmentally and continued work and experience on that and making better reads are all correctable and at end of the day he has the talent to be a good QB in this type of offense if he continues to work and he seem's ready to work which you have to appreciate. He had to battle back on grades already and also he apparently was in Film room on Sunday morning reviewing the game tape and himself for improvement.
Every QB you see will make throws like that though. I get what you are saying about development and experience etc, and I think he will get better and definitely has room to grow. however, the first part is something you see with pretty much every QB.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

To be completely fair to both guys, how many designed run plays has JG had, compared to TO? Graham hasn't been asked to run like Tobias has IMO. He has stayed in the pocked more, and when he rolls out, he's still looking to throw whereas Tobias seems more inclined to run rather than hang around and look for an open receiver. Oliver got some chunk yardage against Clemson on designed run plays that I don't think Graham has been asked to run. 14 attempts for Graham vs 51 for Tobias is kinda telling, although Graham was out for game 3. just my opinion though.

I thought we saw much less of the QB carousel at Temple fwiw. Graham didn't enter the game until the 4th or 5th possession maybe? And then he only came out when he hurt his hand. A lot less "situational shuffling" this past weekend from what I observed.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
My only complaint is that the coaches -- CDP is the QB coach... -- did not see this earlier. Some ibeeballers on this board have been saying that JG was the pick for months.

I am pro-CCG since Tech desperately needs a rebrand and better recruiting, but the semi-trend of making guys play their way out of playing time at QB is concerning. I'll grant that this year's QB situation was pretty strange, but I have a hard time understanding what CDP saw that took him this long to play JG. To rebut myself, I'll accept that Clemson was a wash anyway, so going with TO to grind the game down until JG was needed made sense. But keeping JG on the bench against USF puts me provisionally in the anti-CDP camp. It reminded me of times when I had to catch a guy who clearly didn't have his stuff when our closer was already warm. Regardless, happy for JG, and this year is rebuilding anyway so maybe there are locker room reasons or something that would explain the rotation.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
This is just me but I have felt from the time CGC walked on campus we just had to get through these next two years, it was not going to be pretty or fun to watch and for that reason I just got interested in recruiting. Nothing has changed with me about that. I feel for the kids, it's really tough but welcome to life, biggest prep you get at GT IMO is learning to survive at times cause you'll face that along the way, at least I damn sure did, maybe not the same for others, dunno.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think Coach P did not like the way TO was carrying the ball when he fumbled. May be why he sat him at Temple. Third year in the system and a good runner making those mistakes probably gave JG his chance.

I think this is good but my concern is that I need to see Graham run some option and make forceful runs. Now If we would let our running backs get the ball more this might not be an issue. But if the plan is to become pass happy, well we are looking at a lot of lost games this year, next and the following.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Not sure about the staff not being capable. I think it's more "not being interested" in staying with a run-oriented scheme but rather, moving forward with their more-balanced approach.

It's not terribly difficult to dial up running plays.
"not being interested" .....Has cost us Wins!!!!! I agree it seems like all the talk about schemeing to players strenghts was BS.... They are forcing their Temple Scheme no matter who is on the roster.... if we only win 1 or 2 games this year... with 20 new freshamdn we may win 3 to 4 the following year..... This will set Georgia Tech back.... Going to be hard to recover...

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
"not being interested" .....Has cost us Wins!!!!! I agree it seems like all the talk about schemeing to players strenghts was BS.... They are forcing their Temple Scheme no matter who is on the roster.... if we only win 1 or 2 games this year... with 20 new freshamdn we may win 3 to 4 the following year..... This will set Georgia Tech back.... Going to be hard to recover...

1987 Boss Ross' team stunk it up
1988 Not much better but signs of life
1989 Great season. Lots of improvement. Beat mutts
1990 Natty

Not saying Natty in 4 years but there is precedent for building a champion.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If you look at cpj s record in reverse order what does it look like to you?
To me it shows higher highs with one very bad injury plagued 15 year. With the reverse order would cpj be here as head coach or moved on to a factory.

Cgc will get a few years and will be judged on how fast he gets better

Cgc has a process and players are tweeting they trust it.