Jeff Sims

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Huh! Forgot to finish my thought. Sorry about that. Had to take a call and mush have hit the post button.

Unfortunately I saw a lot of what people have been riding Sims about all season happen to Yates yesterday. Missed receivers, throwing the ball out-of-bounds on 4th down, etc. he also had some great plays that people have been touting Sims for this year.

There’s just inconsistency with Yates too, it just the amplitude is smaller (for you non-math fans, lower highs and higher lows). I think with better line play either will be more successful. I just think Sims’s upside is too high to ignore.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
“well the offense can’t score in 2 minutes” (neither can this one - or frankly not often any other time)
I will look it up, but I’m pretty sure the majority of our td scoring drives are in the 2 minute range. We haven’t struggled with explosive drives, we struggle with any drive that requires us to convert 3rd down.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the big difference is Yates seems to be better when plays take time to develop and he has to look for secondary receivers. He checked off many times successfully yesterday. Sims can absolutely make more spectacular plays in both the passing and running games. But he really seems to be stuck on initial receivers and struggles to move to secondary targets. As has been said many times, Yates has a higher floor and lower ceiling compared to Sims. I think with better play calling and a better QB coach, Sims can eliminate some of his mistakes and leverage his talent.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The Duke game winning drive led by Sims should inspire confidence in him in those situations.
He had three straight three and outs before that drive that let Duke get back in the game. Against Miami he had 6 yards total on our last 4 drives with the game on the line. Not saying either of the QBs are completely to blame for our offense in that situation but we don’t seem to be very good with either of them.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He had three straight three and outs before that drive that let Duke get back in the game. Against Miami he had 6 yards total on our last 4 drives with the game on the line. Not saying either of the QBs are completely to blame for our offense in that situation but we don’t seem to be very good with either of them.

I think both guys are good enough that they would be undefeated if they played in Athens this year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Maybe that's because QB play isn't the primary issue we have on offense.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The same people that are pointing to close loses etc as a reason to back GC are the same ones that sought to get rid of CPJ for the same reasons.....it is not about CPJ, it is about the hypocrisy.
So you are spamming this thread with anti-Collins BS because you're butt-hurt over CPJ? Congrats?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The same people that are pointing to close loses etc as a reason to back GC are the same ones that sought to get rid of CPJ for the same reasons.....it is not about CPJ, it is about the hypocrisy.

I'm on the record as keeping CGC right now. I think the close losses are a sign that we are not far removed from turning the corner. I was also one of CPJs biggest fan boys.

Your statement is one of the main reasons we can't seem to come together as a fan base. We are so determined to be "right" that we conflate opinion with reason. Your assumptions aren't factual. Many of the fonts I interact with supporting CGC in this transition were also huge CPJ fans. Ironically, a few of the more vocal CPJ detractors have now become some of the larger CGC detractors as well.

Maybe it had less to do with the coach and more to do with the perceived direction of GT football.

Animal02

Banned
I'm on the record as keeping CGC right now. I think the close losses are a sign that we are not far removed from turning the corner. I was also one of CPJs biggest fan boys.

Your statement is one of the main reasons we can't seem to come together as a fan base. We are so determined to be "right" that we conflate opinion with reason. Your assumptions aren't factual. Many of the fonts I interact with supporting CGC in this transition were also huge CPJ fans. Ironically, a few of the more vocal CPJ detractors have now become some of the larger CGC detractors as well.

Maybe it had less to do with the coach and more to do with the perceived direction of GT football.
Nope.....not at all. There were plenty of CPJ detractors that pointed to the 2015 season (and still do) These same people now whine that GC is not being given a fair shake because of all the injuries etc. It is rank hypocrisy, and obvious.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
It is neither QB’s fault. Look at the play calling and schemes. The basics of footwork and decisions belies that the coaching is undisciplined. Unfortunately that loosey goosey charm that sold us after Paul Johson permeates the whole program. It translates into sloppy attention to daily detail with a resulting 9-36 record. Collins is a recruiting coordinator, but it remains to be seen whether he can grow into a coach. ( Maybe later a HC). I was hopeful. He has brought in talented players.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nope.....not at all. There were plenty of CPJ detractors that pointed to the 2015 season (and still do) These same people now whine that GC is not being given a fair shake because of all the injuries etc. It is rank hypocrisy, and obvious.

Hypocrisy exists on both sides. I can point to several fonts here who were diehard CPJ fans who have not once given CGC a fair shake. Either way, it's obvious at this point you are not willing to entertain any possibility that CGC might be able to succeed here.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What worries me is that how “close” we are is things the staff is doing wrong. I could make an argument that we could have won 2-3 other games the past two years without head scratching game management decisions (clock management, blown timeouts, decisions to go/not go). Even if we turn the corner those situations will always be there and will often be the difference between a win and a loss. I haven’t seen anything to make me think these types of issues are going to get better.