Jeff Sims Reset?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Taisun
I think Sims would be a good RB somewhere else. He won't be an NFL QB unless he gets consistent at the QB position. And no way does he play QB at LSU or any top 25 team. And GT is probably his best chance to be able to play QB and show that progression.

That said, we desperately need to go to the portal and get a QB for next year. Given our OL, the QB is lucky to make it through some games.

I doubt Sims plays 100% for the rest of the year since it'll only be 4 weeks till UNC and ankles injured twice usually take longer than that to get better.
From my understanding, there was a very very good chance he was going to have the starting job at LSU. His parents wouldn’t let him transfer due to not having a GT degree.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Been thinking about this today - unless Sims is really close to 100% i'd be in favor of him sitting out the FSU game.
Ankle injuries can be tricky. FSU is coming off a bye week and three straight losses to Top 25 teams.
I suspect they are going to be really ready to play and their defensive front is likely to make mincemeat of our OL.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Taisun

From my understanding, there was a very very good chance he was going to have the starting job at LSU. His parents wouldn’t let him transfer due to not having a GT degree.

Surprising given his QBR. Of course, QBR is affected by having to run for his life. But too many unforced throwing errors. And his QBR is dropping ...... http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/player/255/1111338/index.html

We'll find out next year. I hope he stays since he's the best we have.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Been thinking about this today - unless Sims is really close to 100% i'd be in favor of him sitting out the FSU game.
Ankle injuries can be tricky. FSU is coming off a bye week and three straight losses to Top 25 teams.
I suspect they are going to be really ready to play and their defensive front is likely to make mincemeat of our OL.

I think the ankle will make this the decision. And probably for later games.

I was very surprised that he was walking around during the game. Should have been seated with the leg elevated and ankle iced. But that's just what I do to take the swelling down as much as possible when I've messed things up (too many times).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But who would be the sacrificial lamb? Gibson again? Taisun? I wouldn't want to put Pyron out there with this OL.
Whoever plays QB against FSU, I hope the play calling takes the line into account and tries to mitigate the mismatch. And please put the QB in shotgun, like maybe about 15 yards back.
Lordy, we need some hep.

JacketFan137

Banned
Surprising given his QBR. Of course, QBR is affected by having to run for his life. But too many unforced throwing errors. And his QBR is dropping ...... http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/player/255/1111338/index.html

We'll find out next year. I hope he stays since he's the best we have.
obviously stats matter some but remember all coaches have egos and will always salivate over guys with measurables. you can’t coach 6’4 215 with 4.3 speed but you can coach a guy how to throw a slant

kalld12

Banned
But who would be the sacrificial lamb? Gibson again? Taisun? I wouldn't want to put Pyron out there with this OL.
Whoever plays QB against FSU, I hope the play calling takes the line into account and tries to mitigate the mismatch. And please put the QB in shotgun, like maybe about 15 yards back.
Lordy, we need some hep.
Agreed, play calling could have been much better last game. If Gibson doesn’t get it done, we better see Taisun or Pyron*. I hope we game plan much better this week.

slugboy

Staff member
obviously stats matter some but remember all coaches have egos and will always salivate over guys with measurables. you can’t coach 6’4 215 with 4.3 speed but you can coach a guy how to throw a slant
This is probably before your time, but I saw multiple coaches take that approach with Jeff George, and with a lot of other QBs, and it didn’t end well. I’m not saying anything about Sims, but there are some players that you can’t teach to throw a slant (or that you’ll wish you taught someone else)

Coaches all know horror stories, and shouldn’t ignore them

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't see Taisun in practice, but heard he was awful. What exactly was he so bad at? Even if he's just effectively a wildcat QB, that would likely be more effective than Gibson. Or maybe with a week of prep time Gibson can be more effective?

I was excited when Taisun transferred in and I'm still hoping he can turn into something for us.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If sims is done for the year can Gibson and pyron split time during the last four games and pyron not lose his redshirt?