Jeff Sims Reset?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Lol. So...What exactly have you seen from Pyron at the college level that makes you think he's better? I can't seem to find the footage.
Have not seen anything from Pyron but he is a 4 star and not a MAC baby. What part of coach's judgment has you 100% sure they're right? Is it their accurate assessment of Gibson and their ability to get him ready? The flopping game tape & running out of bounds while time expires while at Akron that makes you believe they're experts?

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Have not seen anything from Pyron but he is a 4 star and not a MAC baby. What part of coach's judgment has you 100% sure they're right? Is it their accurate assessment of Gibson and their ability to get him ready? The flopping game tape & running out of bounds while time expires while at Akron that makes you believe they're experts?
You have a point about the coaches ability to assess talent given the fact that we're hunting for a new head coach. That said, the coaches see these kids every day in practice and film study. Gibson is behind Sims and we can all see why. So what exactly do you think we have behind Gibson? Especially given the fact that a player can play in 4 games and still retain the redshirt.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You have a point about the coaches ability to assess talent given the fact that we're hunting for a new head coach. That said, the coaches see these kids every day in practice and film study. Gibson is behind Sims and we can all see why. So what exactly do you think we have behind Gibson? Especially given the fact that a player can play in 4 games and still retain the redshirt.
Sims got hurt and had to come out. We got nobody ready. All I'm saying is put Gibson in if they were trying to retain redshirts which is the only logical assumption at this point, but when you got a chance to win & Gibson clearly was not doing it, burn 1 game of the other 2. It's likely we'll get 2 or more games out of Sims with 5 to go, he'll miss the fleabags plus maybe 2 more. No red****s would be burned.

JacketFan137

Banned
i am by no means an insider with a lot of information but i’ve heard taisun needs a lot of work. he can run but he’s coming off one of if not the worst sports related injury. 1-2 years is kind of the recovery we’ve seen to get back close to your former ability. where he is in that process idk.

dabo even referred to him as a “developmental” qb. so maybe we’ll see him before the end of the year assuming sims absence is significant

for what it’s worth i think he should get a chance because gibson giving up on the game should be a benchable offense

GT33

Helluva Engineer
i am by no means an insider with a lot of information but i’ve heard taisun needs a lot of work. he can run but he’s coming off one of if not the worst sports related injury. 1-2 years is kind of the recovery we’ve seen to get back close to your former ability. where he is in that process idk.

dabo even referred to him as a “developmental” qb. so maybe we’ll see him before the end of the year assuming sims absence is significant

for what it’s worth i think he should get a chance because gibson giving up on the game should be a benchable offense
He was injured April 2021, played 5 games last season. Doubt he would have played that much at Clemson with a serious injury.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I ask this in all honesty, and not in an attempt to discredit him. Granted, I have not seen all the games, and maybe success has been hampered by mediocre line play.
But, I was hoping Sims would take a big step forward this year, with a dedicated QB coach. Have I missed something ?
What say you.........

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims got hurt and had to come out. We got nobody ready. All I'm saying is put Gibson in if they were trying to retain redshirts which is the only logical assumption at this point, but when you got a chance to win & Gibson clearly was not doing it, burn 1 game of the other 2. It's likely we'll get 2 or more games out of Sims with 5 to go, he'll miss the fleabags plus maybe 2 more. No red****s would be burned.
I agree. I would have liked to have seen Taisun or Pyron too, but the fact that we didn't suggests that Gibson was the better option. This is even more reinforced by the fact that Pyron could have played and still retained his redshirt. The real question is who gets the nod if Sims can't play next Saturday.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
And the backups? Are they noticeably improved with the extra attention?
That would be difficult to tell, as none of them were here last year.

I think Sims has perhaps gotten marginally better, but it's definitely not been the leap we were all hoping for and I don't know how much is just being a year older and more experienced vs coaching. Weinke has certainly not done enough to make me feel sad or upset once he is gone.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I would have liked to have seen Taisun or Pyron too, but the fact that we didn't suggests that Gibson was the better option. This is even more reinforced by the fact that Pyron could have played and still retained his redshirt. The real question is who gets the nod if Sims can't play next Saturday.
You can't just throw a true freshman out in that situation on a national stage with no blocking. Especially when your plan has been to redshirt him and I doubt that he has had any time with the 1s.

I would have definitely liked to have seen what Taisun could do out there though. I think his legs could have given us another option.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
That would be difficult to tell, as none of them were here last year.

I think Sims has perhaps gotten marginally better, but it's definitely not been the leap we were all hoping for and I don't know how much is just being a year older and more experienced vs coaching. Weinke has certainly not done enough to make me feel sad or upset once he is gone.
Agree with your assessment that Sims has gotten marginally better. I've seen him step up in the pocket more (before it inevitably collapses) to gain a second or two. He seems to be making somewhat better decisions, although his situational awareness could use more improvement, and as we saw last game, still throws too many picks. He ran out of bounds and actually made the first down last game, although I attribute some of that to CBK coaching him to be more aggressive.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But, I was hoping Sims would take a big step forward this year, with a dedicated QB coach. Have I missed something ?

The big step you are hoping for won't happen until the OL play takes a big step forward. As long as the OL is as bad as it has been the QBs will develop habits to try and deal with that, and those habits aren't always going to be good ones for having high level QB play overall.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
He usually doesn't get that kind of hurt this early in the season. He did seem to be playing hurt Thursday night. Why do you think he's done? He burned a potential redshirt year after he played game 5. Doesn't seem like that's the case he's gone.
Because I think he’s already considered tranferring once, he’s dinged and will be out for a few weeks. By the time he gets back there may be nothing to play for so I doubt we see him again under center at GT. Could be wrong but that’s my guess

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn't be shocked if he did enter the portal and I also wouldn't hold it against him. He was saddled with the massive expectations of this fan base at a time where the roster was being turned over with a new scheme. The O-line still hasn't recovered. It's clear to me that our staff has been very bad at developing talent. He kinda got a raw deal.

That said, he'd be a great fit for Chadwell's scheme...

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
The big step you are hoping for won't happen until the OL play takes a big step forward. As long as the OL is as bad as it has been the QBs will develop habits to try and deal with that, and those habits aren't always going to be good ones for having high level QB play overall.
That is my take also, but that begs the question..........how long will it take to improve our OL ? I know, I know 4-6 years.......:sleep:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sims will have a lot of interested coaches this off-season. He’s been close to entering the portal 2 different times and was gone this past winter until we got him some NIL deals. Sims was close to going to LSU.

I think Sims would be a good RB somewhere else. He won't be an NFL QB unless he gets consistent at the QB position. And no way does he play QB at LSU or any top 25 team. And GT is probably his best chance to be able to play QB and show that progression.

That said, we desperately need to go to the portal and get a QB for next year. Given our OL, the QB is lucky to make it through some games.

I doubt Sims plays 100% for the rest of the year since it'll only be 4 weeks till UNC and ankles injured twice usually take longer than that to get better.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be shocked if he did enter the portal and I also wouldn't hold it against him. He was saddled with the massive expectations of this fan base at a time where the roster was being turned over with a new scheme. The O-line still hasn't recovered. It's clear to me that our staff has been very bad at developing talent. He kinda got a raw deal.

That said, he'd be a great fit for Chadwell's scheme...
"It's clear to me that our staff has been very bad at developing talent"...........that may be the biggest problem out of the many we have. Whoever is our new HC may have a bigger rebuild than CGC had when he started.