Jeff Sims Reset?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
According to theacc.com, Georgia Tech has the worst offense in the ACC and Sims is the worst passer in the ACC. Sims is a bad quarterback and Gibson is worse.
What we have is the worst offensive line in the ACC, and probably in the entirety of P-5 football. Not saying our QBs are great, but that's the biggest problem with the offense by far, IMO.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Absolutely. Gibson should have seen some action during mop-up in the Ole Miss game. It would have helped.

I didn't get around to saying this in the Zack Gibson thread before it got locked, but while I understand the criticism of him for running out of bounds (and he owned that it was a bad decision) it's a little disheartening to me that he was criticized for telling the truth about it. He could easily have said he lost track of the time and thought there was a tick or two left on the clock, but he didn't lie. Maybe his mom taught him not to lie. I admire his honesty. And it certainly isn't why we lost the game.

Excellent post.

stigs02jrt

Banned
That's after 3 years of trying. We've been clamoring for a back up QB & we bring in the 3rd choice. I don't know about anyone else but I had about as much interest in seeing another MAC-E hero as I did the 1st one taking carries from Dontae. That dog didn't hunt either. We have a 4 star back in Taisun that's seen live ACC action and drove the field for a score. We have the 4 star kid from Alabama that's never played a game. Who do we bring in- the mediocre MAC-E kid that folds like a cheap tent. Doesn't even have the will to win. Says a lot about the staff. Bad judgment. Hopefully Batt is not cursed with the bad judgment disease.
The clemson kid taison phommachan is actually terrible. Go look on youtube for his 2021 spring game highlights. Then read the comments. That video will have you praying at the altar of Zach Pyron :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The clemson kid taison phommachan is actually terrible. Go look on youtube for his 2021 spring game highlights. Then read the comments. That video will have you praying at the altar of Zach Pyron :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
His live game footage against Pitt was pretty decent when Dabo benched Ug for a series. Comes in delivers 3 good passes for 1st downs, rips off a 17 yd scramble, barely misses a back shoulder TD pass when WR toes the white, a dropped pass and a busted play for no gain. Clemson got a FG in 1 series when they only scored 7 in a half plus 1 possession.

I read Watson's comments on Gibson. He's our head scout and a Pro liaison whatever that means. I'd say his opinion was 100% wrong so excuse me for dismissing the "expert" opinions over what I witnessed live with my own eyeballs in real live action when it counted. That performance or evidence of capable play isn't worth a single series to see what he could do despite our QB struggles?

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims will have a lot of interested coaches this off-season. He’s been close to entering the portal 2 different times and was gone this past winter until we got him some NIL deals. Sims was close to going to LSU.
Are you hearing that he is looking to leave? If so, that will hurt unless we grab a portal QB in response.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We were never his first choice. I would hope he recognizes his degree from GT will give him opportunity to do things outside football. At this point he has yet to show NFL performance for whatever reason. I realized early on our success this year depends on how well he plays and he needed to stay healthy. He still has two more years to develop his talent. Where it happens is the question.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What we need and in the worst way is a coach who knows what kind of QB he wants. And that means a coach who has O plans for the QBs he gets. You don't need 4 star talent; what you need is a scheme that you can recruit for. That's why Paul's teams always outperformed their "star rating". It's why Chadwell can whoop most of his opponents with a 2 star QB. Tech needs to quit recruiting ratings and start recruiting players.

If our new coach can figure out how to use Sims in a way that will use his obvious talent, well and good. If not, Sims will probably go elsewhere. We'll see soon enough.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We’ve seen Sims last snap at GT.
He usually doesn't get that kind of hurt this early in the season. He did seem to be playing hurt Thursday night. Why do you think he's done? He burned a potential redshirt year after he played game 5. Doesn't seem like that's the case he's gone.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
At this point idgaf if Sims every plays again at GT. He has never played 2 complete games back to back, hasnt shown any major development, and doesn't win games. Just finish the season and start fresh next year. The new coach can bring in a transfer.

FolkHall

Georgia Tech Fan
Absolutely. Gibson should have seen some action during mop-up in the Ole Miss game. It would have helped.

I didn't get around to saying this in the Zack Gibson thread before it got locked, but while I understand the criticism of him for running out of bounds (and he owned that it was a bad decision) it's a little disheartening to me that he was criticized for telling the truth about it. He could easily have said he lost track of the time and thought there was a tick or two left on the clock, but he didn't lie. Maybe his mom taught him not to lie. I admire his honesty. And it certainly isn't why we lost the game.
Because you lose your teammates and the fans when you admit you gave up and quit.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
He was injured.

There is zero chance that Gibson would have been left in there with how he was doing over Sims because of poor play.
It's worth noting he was banged up coming into the game and he gutted it out because that gave us the best chance to win. Anyone at the game could see he was visibly upset at not being able to play. In fact, the staff literally took his helmet from him.

Sims wants to win. He clearly is our best QB. He's looked like a different player since CBK took over. If we're going to have any shot of beating F$U, we need him healthy.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Of the ones we've seen. Not sure how any of us would comment on the others other than to take our coaching staff's word for it & we've seen they're bad judges of talent.
So you're assuming that the coaches are simply keeping the better QB on the bench? For what purpose?

I'm not sure why anyone would comment suggesting that the starting QB isn't the best QB on the team...

GT33

Helluva Engineer
So you're assuming that the coaches are simply keeping the better QB on the bench? For what purpose?

I'm not sure why anyone would comment suggesting that the starting QB isn't the best QB on the team...
Reshirting. You'd think it would be obious.