Jeff Sims - Not practicing with team - in rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketFan137

Banned
If you say so. Hard to argue with 3 seasons worth of numbers though. If Sims had truly gotten better this year it would’ve shown up somewhere in his numbers.

Not to mention in 3 years as Georgia Tech’s starting QB he played zero snaps against UGA, only 1 game against Miami, only 2 against Clemson, missed a game against Notre Dame, and will miss a game against UNC.
Against our 2 toughest rivals he only played 2 games in 3 years. Against our 2 toughest division opponents he only played 2 games. And against Notre Dame he only played once. In normal years that would’ve been 14 games (6 vs. UGA & Clemson, 6 vs. UNC & Miami, 2 vs. Notre Dame) and he only played in 5 games total against them.

Not sure what you’re seeing that shows Sims has gotten any better. The only metric that seems to show that is the “eye test.” The way he played against NIU last year should’ve been the end of his era, and if it wasn’t, after he pulled up short of a first down on the opening series against Ole Miss definitely should’ve been.
man some people really just don’t like this kid. will never understand why

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
eye test he looked better to me and i think he still showed flashes. part of the problem is the schedule he got stuck playing clemson and ole miss and we played the game against WCU to not lose and he played hurt against uva before being taken out.

raw numbers aren’t as good but i think he is better today than he has been. to say he got 0% better i think is just silly and agenda driven. not really what reality has shown
ESPN QBR adjusts for strength of defense faced and his numbers are still the worst in his three seasons.

Raw - 40.1
Adjusted - 43.7

Raw - 52.0
Adjusted - 52.2

Raw - 38.9
Adjusted - 42.2

I’ve always been high on Sims and think his potential is unlimited. At no point has he lived up to that potential whether that be from injuries or coaching. I think having Patenaude as his QB coach for two years was the worst thing that could have happened to him.

I still think if he is put behind an average OL and is given a good QB coach he has NFL talent.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Well so our QB is gibson and? Do we even have a walk on?

To bad Knight already transfered. If I am Long im seeing if Dontae can take under center snaps and puting in a QB rungame all week.
That and it will slow the game down, keep our deffense a little more fresh. We may be able to seriously run on them. We have some really good RB talent. Just need some plays to help the OL

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
man some people really just don’t like this kid. will never understand why
I have literally nothing against Jeff Sims. Im sure he’s a great dude. I hope he gets a degree from GT, and I actually hope he sticks around next year. Because having Sims as your depth option at QB is infinitely times better than what we have run out there in the last 4 years. If he does go elsewhere I wish him luck. I’ve said numerous times he could be a legit NFL QB with his measureables and tools. He just has not been a good QB for Georgia Tech, and I believe at times, him being in the game has hurt us more than it has helped us.

Pulling out hard data and numbers to prove my point is not hating on Sims. It’s just telling the truth about what has happened. I’m all for people who jump in to defend his character and work ethic. Grown men who have never played competing sports in their lives taking shots at the kind of stuff is uncalled for. But simply saying that Sims has not been a good QB should be fair game.

JacketFan137

Banned
ESPN QBR adjusts for strength of defense faced and his numbers are still the worst in his three seasons.

Raw - 40.1
Adjusted - 43.7

Raw - 52.0
Adjusted - 52.2

Raw - 38.9
Adjusted - 42.2

I’ve always been high on Sims and think his potential is unlimited. At no point has he lived up to that potential whether that be from injuries or coaching. I think having Patenaude as his QB coach for two years was the worst thing that could have happened to him.

I still think if he is put behind an average OL and is given a good QB coach he has NFL talent.
well i’m wrong on that then lol still confused though as sims played 3 ranked teams including 2 that are likely to finish ranked top 10

i do agree i think we wasted some crucial development years and still think up until pyron he was far and away the best option on the roster so we didn’t have much of a choice.

hoping he shows out at the next place cause i think he was a good kid and we let him down

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
His completion % is lower this year than it was last year.
His yards per attempt were the lowest this year out of any year in his career
His passer rating was the lowest of his career
His yards per rush were the lowest of any year in his career
His total QBR was lower this year than any other year.

Literally by all measures, this year was his worst year. And his first 2 weren’t very good.

I hope he figures it out wherever he goes next year, because he has all the potential in the world. Maybe a change of scenery will be the best thing for him. But Sims got 0% better over the course of his career at Georgia Tech. Still making freshman mistakes as a 3 year starter.
I think maybe the only thing he improved at was learning how to occasionally finish a run for an extra yard.

JacketFan137

Banned
I have literally nothing against Jeff Sims. Im sure he’s a great dude. I hope he gets a degree from GT, and I actually hope he sticks around next year. Because having Sims as your depth option at QB is infinitely times better than what we have run out there in the last 4 years. If he does go elsewhere I wish him luck. I’ve said numerous times he could be a legit NFL QB with his measureables and tools. He just has not been a good QB for Georgia Tech, and I believe at times, him being in the game has hurt us more than it has helped us.

Pulling out hard data and numbers to prove my point is not hating on Sims. It’s just telling the truth about what has happened. I’m all for people who jump in to defend his character and work ethic. Grown men who have never played competing sports in their lives taking shots at the kind of stuff is uncalled for. But simply saying that Sims has not been a good QB should be fair game.
the data is one thing but saying his era should have been over after northern illinois is just so dumb and over the top i have no idea how you can say that and then pretend to be measured and objective in what you are saying.

bottom line is until pyron got here and started playing sims was head and shoulders above every option we trotted out there. with yates we were unable to run most of the playbook, several of the guys from 2019 weren’t even playing qb etc. even then we really don’t have a lot of evidence that pyron is markedly better at the time of this comment.

also the guy just gets hurt and it sounds to me like you’re holding that against them and i’m not sure that is fair.

don’t really see this going anywhere as you dislike him and i think we’ve wasted what could have been a great talent for us

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you say so. Hard to argue with 3 seasons worth of numbers though. If Sims had truly gotten better this year it would’ve shown up somewhere in his numbers.

Not to mention in 3 years as Georgia Tech’s starting QB he played zero snaps against UGA, only 1 game against Miami, only 2 against Clemson, missed a game against Notre Dame, and will miss a game against UNC.
Against our 2 toughest rivals he only played 2 games in 3 years. Against our 2 toughest division opponents he only played 2 games. And against Notre Dame he only played once. In normal years that would’ve been 14 games (6 vs. UGA & Clemson, 6 vs. UNC & Miami, 2 vs. Notre Dame) and he only played in 5 games total against them.

Not sure what you’re seeing that shows Sims has gotten any better. The only metric that seems to show that is the “eye test.” The way he played against NIU last year should’ve been the end of his era, and if it wasn’t, after he pulled up short of a first down on the opening series against Ole Miss definitely should’ve been.
What I hate about these kinds of conversations is that to make a valid point you almost have to dump on a player by pointing out all of his bad stats and ratings.

But if the question is simply whether or not Sims has lived up to his potential, the only objective answer is “no.”

Hope it works out for him but from a fan perspective it’s disappointing to perpetually talk about what a player might become. Meanwhile we continue to lose game after game, year after year.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
If you speak the truth about how things played out with Sims you get put in timeout like me (I have received several warnings from mods). I guess its best just to not say anything lol people are way too easily offended

JacketFan137

Banned
What I hate about these kinds of conversations is that to make a valid point you almost have to dump on a player by pointing out all of his bad stats and ratings.

But if the question is simply whether or not Sims has lived up to his potential, the only objective answer is “no.”

Hope it works out for him but from a fan perspective it’s disappointing to perpetually talk about what a player might become. Meanwhile we continue to lose game after game, year after year.
it comes with the territory being a qb but it sucks sims has to be the front man of the frustration when qb play was only a small piece of the pie holding us back from being a good team. we never had much consistency at the WR position and obviously the o line doesn’t need further discussion. we even had some games like uva in 2021 where sims was good but we gave up 48 points.

just a bad situation all the way around. i have no problem with stats but it’s getting old seeing people call him a quitter and giving him the brunt of the criticism

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
down to QB4, lets see how Key handles this.
Baylor lost top 4 qbs at end of season - just before a bowl game.

They stayed with the air raid but put a wr who could some what pass. also stayed with wide gaps.

they had lots of jet sweeps and moving pockets that mostly turned into runs - a wild cat of sorts

600 yds approx rushing and several hundred yards passing.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Go jackets

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
the data is one thing but saying his era should have been over after northern illinois is just so dumb and over the top i have no idea how you can say that and then pretend to be measured and objective in what you are saying
I was just using that old “eye test” you like to talk about.

bottom line is until pyron got here and started playing sims was head and shoulders above every option we trotted out there. with yates we were unable to run most of the playbook, several of the guys from 2019 weren’t even playing qb etc.
I literally said the same thing. If Sims is coming off the bench for us, it would be infinitely better that what we ran out there for the last 4 year. Verbatim

also the guy just gets hurt and it sounds to me like you’re holding that against them and i’m not sure that is fair.
I’m not holding it against him. I’m just pointing out the fact he missed a lot of games against our toughest opponents. Not all of them were even injury related. He didn’t play against UGA, Miami, or UNC in 2020 because of Covid scheduling. But the fact he missed so many games, or games that didn’t get played that normally would, could also be artificially inflating his already not great numbers.

don’t really see this going anywhere as you dislike him and i think we’ve wasted what could have been a great talent for us
I already said I don’t dislike him. I’ve wished him luck. Complimented his potential and his already existing talents. I just don’t think he’s a very good QB, and I think we spent far too much time pretending and hoping that he was one, instead of preparing for the future.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
it comes with the territory being a qb but it sucks sims has to be the front man of the frustration when qb play was only a small piece of the pie holding us back from being a good team. we never had much consistency at the WR position and obviously the o line doesn’t need further discussion. we even had some games like uva in 2021 where sims was good but we gave up 48 points.

just a bad situation all the way around. i have no problem with stats but it’s getting old seeing people call him a quitter and giving him the brunt of the criticism
Agree with everything you say.

The fine point of the argument is this, however. If Sims could not overcome the bad play of WRs, OL, TEs, and poor play calling, what makes people think that with just one more year he would finally be able to overcome all of these obstacles? That’s why I think people get frustrated with the “almost about to begin to get ready to start to commence to become” the QB that was promised when he was recruited. Perpetual potential.

So, yes, I agree with your assessment of the obstacles and the unfairness of it. The team practically needs a miracle worker at QB, and even though some were sold on the idea that Sims could be that miracle worker, it is clear he needed a lot more help around him. Thus, he will never have enough time here to be that miracle worker.

This may be why he appears to be moving on from the team. He knows he doesn’t have whatever it takes to pull Tech out of this hole.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was just using that old “eye test” you like to talk about.

I literally said the same thing. If Sims is coming off the bench for us, it would be infinitely better that what we ran out there for the last 4 year. Verbatim

I’m not holding it against him. I’m just pointing out the fact he missed a lot of games against our toughest opponents. Not all of them were even injury related. He didn’t play against UGA, Miami, or UNC in 2020 because of Covid scheduling. But the fact he missed so many games, or games that didn’t get played that normally would, could also be artificially inflating his already not great numbers.

I already said I don’t dislike him. I’ve wished him luck. Complimented his potential and his already existing talents. I just don’t think he’s a very good QB, and I think we spent far too much time pretending and hoping that he was one, instead of preparing for the future.
That’s a tough assessment but one any thinking fan would have to take seriously. As I said in a different post, in so many words, if it takes a miracle worker at QB to overcome all of the current obstacles at Tech, then Sims is not that miracle worker. Maybe he can be that miracle worker somewhere else but it’s not happening here.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He’s an athletic freak who *can* make every throw on the field. He’s struggled with injuries and has played behind one of the worst OL’s in fbs for 3 years. Tack on that he had an FCS level qb coach during his developmental years and you end up with a physically gifted athlete who suffers from inconsistency issues. I seriously doubt Dan Marino would have been successful at tech the past three years given the supporting cast.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Baylor lost top 4 qbs at end of season - just before a bowl game.

They stayed with the air raid but put a wr who could some what pass. also stayed with wide gaps.

they had lots of jet sweeps and moving pockets that mostly turned into runs - a wild cat of sorts

600 yds approx rushing and several hundred yards passing.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Go jackets
Yeah, I don't see this staff being all that creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.