Jaquan Henderson Article

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Coach Woody plans to coach on the field or from the coach's box. IMO, the defensive coordinator should be on the field with his players. I think Ted Roof missed a lot of intangibles by remaining in the coach's box.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Coach Woody plans to coach on the field or from the coach's box. IMO, the defensive coordinator should be on the field with his players. I think Ted Roof missed a lot of intangibles by remaining in the coach's box.
He coached on the field with app state if I’m not mistaken.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Interesting quote from Coach Johnson in the article: “I think the defense is a good fit for Georgia Tech and the players we can get here...”. Just what kind of players can Tech get?
This seems to acknowledge what others have said about recruiting on defense. Tech is not going to get the big, fast D lineman filling the ranks at Clemson, Alabama or Georgia, maybe FSU. So a defense, as with offense, has to fit the personnel available for it. Not sure a lot of the fan base want to accept that, though.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
This seems to acknowledge what others have said about recruiting on defense. Tech is not going to get the big, fast D lineman filling the ranks at Clemson, Alabama or Georgia, maybe FSU. So a defense, as with offense, has to fit the personnel available for it. Not sure a lot of the fan base want to accept that, though.
I think your right about the type of defensive linemen we can recruit. If Coach Woody and the 3-4 defense show success, maybe, just maybe, GT football could put a stamp on it's defensive play and would help attract more 4 star talent on the defensive side. I don't mean to overstate the hiring of Coach Woody, but this is a critical hire for CPJ. We're going to have some up and downs on the defensive side this year, but we have got to do much better than what was shown last year. One more thing, the new defensive line coach seems to have been a good hire.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Henderson will have to get up to 230 lbs plus to become a dominant pass rusher. He is not going to win a lot of battles at 190 lbs. I love his potential but realistically, he is a couple of years away from being what you want at that position.

Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Right on point. The one thing I will say, we can possibly get those stud tweener guys that play DT at 260-270 in high school and let them play DE in our system. We have offered a ton of these guys that play DE or DT but schools want them to grow into DT or they might not fit 100 percent what they want for DE. I think this system is a fun one to play in and will create an uptick in recruiting. I do agree with us needing a system that does what our offense does though. Good post.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Henderson will have to get up to 230 lbs plus to become a dominant pass rusher. He is not going to win a lot of battles at 190 lbs. I love his potential but realistically, he is a couple of years away from being what you want at that position.

Go Jackets!
I think he’s only trying to get at 215 though. He said something about it this off season. I agree with you comment about pass rushing however if he’s able to blitz and we can confuse the OL on where he coming from or if he’s coming he will win with speed on some free blitz.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan

Go Jackets!
Henderson will use speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

Go Jackets!

I think our OLB will be well outside of the tackles. From my understanding, the DEs will be over the tackles. So for pass rush requirements, it will be can you get past the RB and take down the QB. I think speed is going to matter more than heft, although you want both if possible.

Do you trade 30 lbs for a tenth or a quarter of a second on the 10 yard dash? I dont know.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Right on point. The one thing I will say, we can possibly get those stud tweener guys that play DT at 260-270 in high school and let them play DE in our system. We have offered a ton of these guys that play DE or DT but schools want them to grow into DT or they might not fit 100 percent what they want for DE. I think this system is a fun one to play in and will create an uptick in recruiting. I do agree with us needing a system that does what our offense does though. Good post.

Could these dt (260-270) could play offensive tackle and make better open field blocks?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Idk, but they are definitely DE’s. I doubt we would even have a chance if we offered for the OL.
agree, was thinking outside the box . Just remember j lee was a dual ol and dl.
perhaps - a pitch like - come try to see if u are a solid d e but if not we need fast do o t?

47 are u happy w the open field blocking of our o t ? i am pretty bummed with it. lots of injuries ( for example ... klock, marshall, stick) and imo not agile enough.