Jaquan Henderson Article

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Interesting quote from Coach Johnson in the article: “I think the defense is a good fit for Georgia Tech and the players we can get here...”. Just what kind of players can Tech get?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Interesting quote from Coach Johnson in the article: “I think the defense is a good fit for Georgia Tech and the players we can get here...”. Just what kind of players can Tech get?

Not prototypical size. Smaller, but with quickness and tenacity.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Need to give Coach Nate Woody a minimum of four years to see if he can improve GT’s defensive team recruiting to where he wants it.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Need to give Coach Nate Woody a minimum of four years to see if he can improve GT’s defensive team recruiting to where he wants it.
I think he can prove himself sooner than that, but I agree that we need to be patient if our defense doesn’t become good overnight. As long as we don’t have an Al Groh situation, I’m good with giving him a few years. I think he’ll surprise a lot of people this year though.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think he can prove himself sooner than that, but I agree that we need to be patient if our defense doesn’t become good overnight. As long as we don’t have an Al Groh situation, I’m good with giving him a few years. I think he’ll surprise a lot of people this year though.

I agree with this overall. Furthermore,I think this hire will really define CPJ's legacy at GT....either we upgrade defensively (and ST) to perform somewhere near the historical level of CPJ's offense. If this happens, the program elevates and we realize it took CPJ awhile to make the right hire. OTOH, if this guy is the same as our last 3 or 4, I think CPJ will be seen as a great offensive X's and O's guy whose legacy as a head coach will be tarnished by his ability to identify, recruit and develop assistant coaches. imo. The D will be to CPJ's legacy as the O was to CCG's. I am hoping that Coach Woody is the guy who can get things turned around.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if I'm a broken record about this, but comments like these are what make me pumped for CNW being DC and make me expect early success and sustained improvements:

The difference is we have two basic calls. Everybody out there knows what they're supposed to be doing. Not a lot of thinking, that's the main thing. Guys out there are making plays and putting guys in position to make a play.​

On the surface that creates concerns that the D is too simple so can be out-schemed. However, if you do some math, 2 calls for 11 players is 2048 plays -- enough to span 2 seasons without the same call twice. Of course, it's not really like that. The whole collection of calls has to cover every gap, so in reality players don't have independent assignments. And the secondary is going to function similarly to every other defense. But there will also be stunts and other stuff. However, the core responsibilities are all downhill and straightforward. And the cool thing is that doesn't make us predictable.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's the players CPJ can get.
Perhaps the sentence could also mean :
Its the players CPJ can CURRENTLY get.

I think the new will show case our defensive players. They will not be backing up and giving ground till they are backed up into the red zone. When the right play is called , the key player will make decisive plays that put the opponent behind schedule. BUT WHEN ITS A MARGINAL PLAY - the players ability will be on display for all to see. Hopefully we do ok.
But when a top talented recruit sees that his extra talent can be a difference maker , he will want to come to gt.

Recruiting to this defense will quickly and greatly improve our pool of recruits

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree we need to give him time. However, I think we will see things sooner than that. This is the type of D guys will want to play for imo. OLB’s can do so much in this scheme. The D revolves around the DT in a sense, and who wouldnt want that. DE’s can just go and the same of MLB’s. SS’s can come down in the box and fly around, FS’s and CB’s can go be ball hawks and play aggressively. Literally every position seems like it benifits players for what you would like to see guys do. I think recruits will see this and want to play in it.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I was surprised and pleased by how positive CPJ’s comments were. He is typically noncommittal with his projections and for him the say he thinks it is a good fit without adding a qualification of some type makes me more optimistic.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was surprised and pleased by how positive CPJ’s comments were. He is typically noncommittal with his projections and for him the say he thinks it is a good fit without adding a qualification of some type makes me more optimistic.

CPJ previously mentioned that JH was probably the fastest player on the team and Woody also had some complimentary remarks about JH and mentioned his speed as well.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We consistently seem to be able to recruit disruptoe type dlineman ( usually we stick them at ot) now with woodys defense we can use then on either side the ball to get our beat 22 on the field. Its to bad we dont have enough tackle depth to play lee on defense

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Not a matter of giving Woody 4 years.

CPJ is starting year 11. More than enough time. And he has hired plenty of DCs in that time.

Has to start now.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not a matter of giving Woody 4 years.

CPJ is starting year 11. More than enough time. And he has hired plenty of DCs in that time.

Has to start now.
It’s not fair to judge CPJ on that when the resources he has been given are bottom of power 5 teams. He’s just now been given things that barley resemble what other top teams get.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Please don’t get me wrong, guys. I love the optimism about our new defensive coach Nate Woody, and I’m also excited and optimistic that he will turn out to be a good hire that will produce a better defense on the Flats.

In my original post, please note the key phrase in my statement is “defensive team recruiting.” This is the main point I was trying to emphasize. Now that Coach Woody is here, it’s going to be very interesting to see how he recruits players to “fit his system,” especially during his first recruiting year coming up ... and during the next three years thereafter, compared to the types of defensive players the previous DC recruited.

I’m excited and can’t wait!