James Graham is the future

I haven't read, nor do I intend to read, all the comments posted to date, but there HAS to be a reason what Patanaube / Collins chose Oliver to start, and I imagine he will start again in the next two games. Gresham did indeed look good, but would he have looked as good starting against Clemson's 1st string D? Apparently the coaches thought he would not. I frankly was not even aware that Lucas ever came in. It was hard to read the numbers, even on the big screens in the stadium, so I missed his plays. I gather he didn't really show anything, and again, that's why he didn't start. Will Oliver remain as starter the rest of the season? That depends on how he does in the next two games and how much Gresham improves, which he WILL DO !!!! It appears that Lucas might be done, and that's too bad for him, but he has good pursuable options, and with Yates and Gleason coming up, it might be best for him to pursue them now.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read, nor do I intend to read, all the comments posted to date, but there HAS to be a reason what Patanaube / Collins chose Oliver to start, and I imagine he will start again in the next two games. Gresham did indeed look good, but would he have looked as good starting against Clemson's 1st string D? Apparently the coaches thought he would not. I frankly was not even aware that Lucas ever came in. It was hard to read the numbers, even on the big screens in the stadium, so I missed his plays. I gather he didn't really show anything, and again, that's why he didn't start. Will Oliver remain as starter the rest of the season? That depends on how he does in the next two games and how much Gresham improves, which he WILL DO !!!! It appears that Lucas might be done, and that's too bad for him, but he has good pursuable options, and with Yates and Gleason coming up, it might be best for him to pursue them now.
Agree it was really difficult to read the numerals in the stadium. I could tell when Lucas was in because I think he threw 3 straight incompletions to guys that were well covered. I can’t draw any conclusions based on what I saw last night, but I believe Oliver got the nod because it was a hostile environment and he’s the only guy that has that experience going in. I think Lucas came in right before halftime.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When you say "Gleason" or "Gresham" are you by chance meaning "Graham"?

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone post a video of graham’s TD pass? That would help cheer me up

Here you go bud

giphy.gif

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Gleason is a recruit who's currently committed to Tech. He meant that guy when he said Gleason and Yates (who's the freshman QB who just joined)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
And here's the throw to Blancato that set it up

giphy.gif

Someone screwed up. Probably 80. U never have receivers that close in route combos. We are lucky the pass was enough left or thats a pick. My guess is 80 was to break it of to allow blancato to run a 9 man on man. But this was lucky

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
A family member of mine is a former player who is close to the program and he said that the coaches liked Graham best coming out of Spring but didn’t feel like he was ‘ready.’ While I thought Tobias played hard and fearless last night, which I’m sure the coaches were confident he would do, I thought Graham played with every bit as much confidence and had a broader skill set to go with it. I understand he didn’t play against the 1s. He looked good as a runner, snapped off some shorter passes well, threw 3 beautiful deep balls (completed 2 of them). Didn’t take a sack (right?). Had he taken a sack on the TD throw, people would’ve said no one was open, because no one was... he anticipated it and made the best throw I’ve seen in years from a tech QB. I hope it wasn’t luck, but that pass was beautiful. If the coaches liked him best but didn’t think he was ready, you have to believe that they think he is ready enough now. My guess is he’ll be the starter at the very least before the end of the year.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
A family member of mine is a former player who is close to the program and he said that the coaches liked Graham best coming out of Spring but didn’t feel like he was ‘ready.’ While I thought Tobias played hard and fearless last night, which I’m sure the coaches were confident he would do, I thought Graham played with every bit as much confidence and had a broader skill set to go with it. I understand he didn’t play against the 1s. He looked good as a runner, snapped off some shorter passes well, threw 3 beautiful deep balls (completed 2 of them). Didn’t take a sack (right?). Had he taken a sack on the TD throw, people would’ve said no one was open, because no one was... he anticipated it and made the best throw I’ve seen in years from a tech QB. I hope it wasn’t luck, but that pass was beautiful. If the coaches liked him best but didn’t think he was ready, you have to believe that they think he is ready enough now. My guess is he’ll be the starter at the very least before the end of the year.

This is not me making hindsight type reaction...But I’ve always thought that Graham would be the guy. The reason he wasn’t “ready” coming out of spring is because he admitted in an interview that he was waaaaay more focused on making sure he gained his eligibility in the spring than playing football (I’m too lazy to look up the interview and repost it). And the fact that he EARNED that single digit number 4 told me everything I needed to know about what Coach Collins thinks about him.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope you’re right. No offense to Tobias, but it doesn’t look like his skillset is as good a match for this offense as it was for CPJ’s. He probably should have started over TaQuon last year, but that ship has sailed. If Graham can give us some good production from the QB position, I think we’ll have a pretty good shot at the Coastal based on what I saw out of everyone else last night (minus the WRs and TEs who didn’t seem to be a huge part of the game plan. Jury’s out on them.)

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
Oliver may be very athletic, but Graham has always been touted as one of the very best athletes on the team. While Graham may not be as slippery a runner as Oliver, I don’t think the drop off is that huge. Graham can definitely run as well. Oliver will never be able to drop a dime like that TD pass. Oliver may be a safer choice right now, and certainly still has a place in this offense, but Graham has a higher ceiling.

Side note, I hope Oliver works on cleaning up his mesh all week. I was cringing every time, expecting a fumble.