Jalen Johnson to WR?

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
I remember watching the spring game and jalen was very aggressive out there. I think he wasn't GIVEN the opportunity to prove what he can do at safety / nickel. Maybe CPJ saw that and move him to WR. PJ did say that he was doing well on the scout team. Being thin there right now will give him a opportunity to see the field

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
J Johnson has apparent skills for catching the ball but it may be a need for his blocking skills. He sure seemed like a hitter on D in the Spring. I believe we have, or had, 3 WRs dinged up: Summers, Philpott, and Oliver. I believe in interviews CPJ said Stewart and Messick needed to be more physical. This might also be a hedge to keep Howell in a RS + give Jalen a better opportunity to get PT. That safety position is stacked with experience (Golden, Smith, C Griffin, Marvin, Kagawa) and then there is Gray and the Austins.....all speculation!
But solid speculation. :)
FTRS also has a discussion of this move based on his talent being buried at S.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wonder what the reason for this decision is? Too much depth at S or not enough depth at WR? Could the Michael Summers injury be worse than expected? or maybe coaches do not want to play a freshmen? I do not know about you guys but I am confused about a position change this close to the start of the season.

My guess is that Summers will be out for a bit based on this.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Jalen’s not playing DB this year with the amount of talent there. If WR doesn’t work out he can move back next year. I agree with Danny, this gives us the opportunity to redshirt some guys at WR. Some of y’all seem to forget we are potentially loaded at both WR and Safety with the difference being we have multiple guys that can redshirt at WR. If Jalen can be a solid #4 WR why would we ever even burn Philpott’s redshirt if he isn’t clearly in the top 4?

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm hoping this means AJ is the next Morgan Burnette out there. Jalen looked impressive to me in the spring game. Hopefully this works out in his favor.

TBH I know saying this kind of thing is sill considering all Burnett has accomplished here and in the NFL, but I really think this is a given and then some. AJ Gray is the real deal.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly forgot Jalen was on the team...Hopefully he can give us some decent depth and play in the 4th quarter in a blowout against uGA.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
@SecretAgentBuzz , how hot was that suit?
I'm sure the prerifral vision wouldn't be the best in that thing either.
I've seen that tail wreak havoc on many 3 ur old kids! Lol

Hotter than you can imagine. Two hours in that suit=10-15 lbs of water lost. But it was all worth it to see the smiles on kids faces and to make people laugh.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Hotter than you can imagine. Two hours in that suit=10-15 lbs of water lost. But it was all worth it to see the smiles on kids faces and to make people laugh.
Couple questions for you if you don't mind...
What years were you in the suit?
And what's your best memory from your time as Buzz?

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Couple questions for you if you don't mind...
What years were you in the suit?
And what's your best memory from your time as Buzz?

Well, I don't want to totally de-rail the thread, so let me say this: I am excited about Jalen Johnson's move to WR. He is big, physical, and he isn't going anywhere at Safety. Like someone else said, maybe he might end up being the Tony Hollings of WRs. Wishful thinking, but you never know until you try.

To answer your question, I was Buzz from 2000-2003. I have lots of fun memories: winning a (mascot) National Championship, being in a Capitol One/ESPN commercial, fighting with other mascots, and just having fun with the fans. It could go on for a while about those experiences, but suffice to say...it was a lot of fun!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, I don't want to totally de-rail the thread, so let me say this: I am excited about Jalen Johnson's move to WR. He is big, physical, and he isn't going anywhere at Safety. Like someone else said, maybe he might end up being the Tony Hollings of WRs. Wishful thinking, but you never know until you try.

To answer your question, I was Buzz from 2000-2003. I have lots of fun memories: winning a (mascot) National Championship, being in a Capitol One/ESPN commercial, fighting with other mascots, and just having fun with the fans. It could go on for a while about those experiences, but suffice to say...it was a lot of fun!
Just curious if you ever got hurt. A lot of those stunts look like they could go wrong in a hurry. Did you ever get dropped while crowd surfing?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Nice, you were Buzz for most of my years!
And I'm always excited for any guy trying to get on the field. I wonder who initiated the change...coach or player? If Jalen asked to switch to WR, that's a good sign to me (and it's not a bad sign if the coach initiated the move, btw).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nice, you were Buzz for most of my years!
And I'm always excited for any guy trying to get on the field. I wonder who initiated the change...coach or player? If Jalen asked to switch to WR, that's a good sign to me (and it's not a bad sign if the coach initiated the move, btw).
I heard it went down like this. A WR messed up a route one play, then dropped a pass the next play. Jalen was over on a different part of the field waiting in a long line to do a drill with the secondary and after the second botched WR play he walked over to near where CPJ was standing and muttered, "Heck, I could run that drill with a blindfold on." CPJ responded, "Really? You want to switch? You got it."

No actual record of this ever really occurring but this is the time of the season where we have endless conversations on stuff that we just make up as we go along.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Damn, your career as a mascot was way better than mine as a player! I missed the boat.