Jalen Johnson to WR?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It said in the other thread that #84 was back in practice today. CPJ is giving JJ a chance to go in and compete since no one's really stepping up to take the 4th spot behind Summers, Jeune and Stewart.

Declinometer

Banned
There's a few differences, MA didn't play wr in hs and it was his third move after being on the team for 3 yrs. JJ caught 57 passes for 900 yards as a hs jr and has only one yr as a college player.
None of this changes the fact that it reminds ME of Marcus Allen. You guys just try too hard.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
None of this changes the fact that it reminds ME of Marcus Allen. You guys just try too hard.
Here's something else I found:

With their two leading wide receivers from last season taken in the NFL Draft, the Yellow Jackets continue to search for answers at that position. Junior WR Micheal Summers is back, while sophomore Ricky Juene and freshman Brad Stewart have been enjoying good camps. In an attempt to strength the competition at that spot, head coach Paul Johnson announced that redshirt freshman DB Jalen Johnson was moved to receiver.

“It’s still a big jumble behind the first three,” said Johnson after Monday’s practice. “We moved Jalen Johnson there to see if he could beat the other guys out. He was a receiver in high school so we’ll give him a chance.”
He's being put there because he played in high school and we need a 4th guy and nobody beyond Summers, Jeune and Stewart are distiguishing themselves. MA, who never played the position before in his life, was moved to wr in a desperate attempt to save his career.

Declinometer

Banned
Here's something else I found:

With their two leading wide receivers from last season taken in the NFL Draft, the Yellow Jackets continue to search for answers at that position. Junior WR Micheal Summers is back, while sophomore Ricky Juene and freshman Brad Stewart have been enjoying good camps. In an attempt to strength the competition at that spot, head coach Paul Johnson announced that redshirt freshman DB Jalen Johnson was moved to receiver.

“It’s still a big jumble behind the first three,” said Johnson after Monday’s practice. “We moved Jalen Johnson there to see if he could beat the other guys out. He was a receiver in high school so we’ll give him a chance.”
He's being put there because he played in high school and we need a 4th guy and nobody beyond Summers, Jeune and Stewart are distiguishing themselves. MA, who never played the position before in his life, was moved to wr in a desperate attempt to save his career.
Many here will disagree. Many here believe MA was moved to WR to sure up the WR position. I'm with you. I believe it was attempt to save his career.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, it is worth a try. Remember Tony Hollings? Back up DB to a lights out RB. What is the risk? It doesn't sound like we are losing a starting safety to the experiment. I think stuff like this is good for the team. Heck, our last big time receiver came from the baseball team.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good for the staff for giving him a chance. Never know what'll happen.
Could never see the field, OR could become one of the next few GT receivers in the NFL.
Only time will tell.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Spring game had me a bit worried about some of our WRs hands. Lots of dropped balls. We can NOT afford to drop a pass when we throw it.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
My point is that it reminds me of what happened to Marcus Allen.
What's your point?

So jalen Johnson moving position reminds you of Marcus Allen getting moved. You think Marcus Allen was moved to save "his career". so you think jalen johnsons, as a freshman, career is in jeopardy? Did you think laskeys was? Matthew Jordan? Dennis Andrews when he moved to aback? Lands Davis?

Also, it's hilarious you sent me a private message calling me "miss".

Could someone remind me what @Declinometer s schtick is?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
When CPJ stated that JJ was impressive on the scout team, I thought he was solid over there as we lose depth after this season. Having Gray, Walker, Simmons, et al, added in now, maybe this is the fastest way to be included in the two-deep?

If it does not work for this year, could be interesting to see what next spring brings towards moving back to the defensive backfield.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
J Johnson has apparent skills for catching the ball but it may be a need for his blocking skills. He sure seemed like a hitter on D in the Spring. I believe we have, or had, 3 WRs dinged up: Summers, Philpott, and Oliver. I believe in interviews CPJ said Stewart and Messick needed to be more physical. This might also be a hedge to keep Howell in a RS + give Jalen a better opportunity to get PT. That safety position is stacked with experience (Golden, Smith, C Griffin, Marvin, Kagawa) and then there is Gray and the Austins.....all speculation!
What happened to Philpott?

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't care if we put Buzz in as WR as long as they can block, catch and run..Im good with it!

When I was Buzz, I could certainly run, and I knocked a few people down in my day (mostly by accident), but catching was a particular challenge. Something about having 2-inch eye holes, neither of which gave straight-ahead vision...

Regardless, if Jalen Johnson is not in the 2-deep at safety, lets give him a look at WR. Why not?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think what this says is we are slap loaded at safety and thin at WR. It's not necessarily an indictment of Jalen. I thought he looked good in the spring game, along with Marcus Allen and Tyler Merriweather. It appears all three have been passed by others in camp. Am I disappointed? No, I'm excited. Looks like we have some real depth of talent at certain positions. Optimism is pretty cool.