Jalen Johnson to WR?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Go back and look at his HS numbers, JJ's a very accomplished HS WR! When he committed Eric and I talked about if he would be coming in as WR or S. As soph and jr he had in excess for 50 catches each year.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
You get your best players on the field. Just ask former walkon DT Sean Bedford who switched over from the scout team at the suggestion of CPJ and was an ALL ACC Center for two years.

For those that care; NR

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Wonder what the reason for this decision is? Too much depth at S or not enough depth at WR? Could the Michael Summers injury be worse than expected? or maybe coaches do not want to play a freshmen? I do not know about you guys but I am confused about a position change this close to the start of the season.

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow
Not doubting his abilities at WR at all. Just surprised by the move, especially this close to the start of the season. Would be lying if I said the thought of WR injuries being the reason for the move never crossed my mind.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
J Johnson has apparent skills for catching the ball but it may be a need for his blocking skills. He sure seemed like a hitter on D in the Spring. I believe we have, or had, 3 WRs dinged up: Summers, Philpott, and Oliver. I believe in interviews CPJ said Stewart and Messick needed to be more physical. This might also be a hedge to keep Howell in a RS + give Jalen a better opportunity to get PT. That safety position is stacked with experience (Golden, Smith, C Griffin, Marvin, Kagawa) and then there is Gray and the Austins.....all speculation!

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think it's pretty obvious. Aside from the senior starters, he was behind Corey Griffin and Shawn Kagawa. Also reports sounded like John Marvin was making a move, and AJ Gray sounds like everything he was hyped up to be. With the injuries at receiver we needed another body there.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what this says about Messick? If Michael Summers is out, we will be fielding a wr corps with a grand total of one college catch.