Jackets Travel to Louisville, 2/10/2024, MBB

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have never seen a team blow leads in the final eight minutes of games and just fold down the stretch like this team does, You can see if it coming and it is like they just roll over late. I was thinking it was because they have no go to players in the clutch, but it seems like deeper problem than that.
I also thought it was interesting to hear that we are last in the league in forced turnovers. There is just no aggressive fight on defense with this team.
Very disappointing on so many levels. At some point a team should get mad and fight but I do not see that happening.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It's about the hypocrisy of before the game making a big deal about not worrying about the opponent and then after the game saying all you care about is the scouting report.
This^^^

Earlier in the week we were not worried about the opponent, or words that affect. Check out some of the earlier media for specifics.

Last edited:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This^^^

Earlier in the week we were not worried about the opponent, or words that affect. Check out some of the earlier media for specifics.
This is a rabbit trail. He was making the point that this game is about us more than the other team and we had to come to play before any of the other stuff mattered. I think he was right.

But I don’t believe that meant they actually didn’t do any of the scouting reports or work ups or worrying about how Louisville played. To think that is kind of I don’t know what

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
It's about the hypocrisy of before the game making a big deal about not worrying about the opponent and then after the game saying all you care about is the scouting report.

This^^^

He’s a basketball coach, not a debate coach. We’ve got “Mr. Dissertation” nitpicking over every run on sentence in every press conference.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
A few examples

At one point we had 8 offensive rebounds and only 2 second chance points. That’s lack of talent relative to your opponent and/or making mistakes due to being out matched physically. Further example, one of our not very big-big men got an offensive rebound late in the game and bricked an uncontested bunny off the back board and didn’t even draw iron. That’s playing rushed because you are outmatched physically.

A point guard airballing a free throw. That’s being in your head and completely choking.

On 3 possessions in a row down the stretch not boxing out and giving up an offensive rebound and put back for 6 points.

These are not coaching related, other than motivating players to play tough and fight for the win, and that is what CDS has been preaching lately, that players have to have enough pride to motivate themselves to not lay down and lose without a fight.
We beat Duke and UNC. There is no lack of talent. Especially not compared to the worst 5 teams in the conference.

Look dude I get it. I don’t think CDS deserves to be thrown under the bus and tarred and feathered right now, but blaming it all on the players is BS too. It’s the coach’s JOB to motivate his players and have them ready for a game. If the players aren’t ready, SOME of the blame has to go to the coach. Especially when this has been a common theme throughout the year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This is a rabbit trail. He was making the point that this game is about us more than the other team and we had to come to play before any of the other stuff mattered. I think he was right.

But I don’t believe that meant they actually didn’t do any of the scouting reports or work ups or worrying about how Louisville played. To think that is kind of I don’t know what
Don't disagree at all. I'm sure they did review the opponent's tendencies and had plans to handle accordingly.

An issue is that he said one thing earlier in the week, without caveats, that implied that wasn't the case.

Do I think he cares? Yes, I think he does.

Is he less full of coach speak and willing to call a spade a spade? Yes, and I appreciate that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He’s a basketball coach, not a debate coach. We’ve got “Mr. Dissertation” nitpicking over every run on sentence in every press conference.

Lol nitpicking like I didn't post direct quotes of his. He even doubled down after the game and said he hadn't watched much Louisville.

It is just straight up hypocritical to say you don't care about your opponent before the game and then say all you care about is the team following the scouting report after. Whether they went over the scouting report or not doesn't change the contradictory nature of his words.

But it's clear at this point that some posters here were never going to put any blame for anything on CDS this year.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A few examples

At one point we had 8 offensive rebounds and only 2 second chance points. That’s lack of talent relative to your opponent and/or making mistakes due to being out matched physically. Further example, one of our not very big-big men got an offensive rebound late in the game and bricked an uncontested bunny off the back board and didn’t even draw iron. That’s playing rushed because you are outmatched physically.

A point guard airballing a free throw. That’s being in your head and completely choking.

On 3 possessions in a row down the stretch not boxing out and giving up an offensive rebound and put back for 6 points.

These are not coaching related, other than motivating players to play tough and fight for the win, and that is what CDS has been preaching lately, that players have to have enough pride to motivate themselves to not lay down and lose without a fight.
Yes. Our biggest problem is the lack of a big in the middle.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I have never seen a team blow leads in the final eight minutes of games and just fold down the stretch like this team does, You can see if it coming and it is like they just roll over late. I was thinking it was because they have no go to players in the clutch, but it seems like deeper problem than that.
I also thought it was interesting to hear that we are last in the league in forced turnovers. There is just no aggressive fight on defense with this team.
Very disappointing on so many levels. At some point a team should get mad and fight but I do not see that happening.
I've only been on a handful of losing teams so my experience is not substantial, but the vast majority of players on those teams did not mind losing. Several of those teams eventually turned into winners, a couple of times we ended up Champions. In retrospect the key was getting rid of the losers. They weren't always the worst players. My first time the coach dismissed the 2 most talented kids on my baseball team (league MVP and another top player), we were shocked & parents were besides themselves before the season thinking the move was insane. We thought we were screwed but without those 2 superstars we played team ball and broke .500 the next season. The year after we took home the trophy despite having only the 1 obligatory rep (me) on the All-Star team that did not get off the bench in the All-Star game. The rest of my teammates were not as talented as everyone elses's best, but when it came down to it we were winners and we did what winners do, just found ways to win. Stoudamire better figure this out quickly otherwise his tenure at GT will be short lived. Batt will not tolerate much more of this BS.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
We got 10 total points from Nait (2), Ndongo (2), Reeves (0), Gapare (1), and Claude (5). I don't know exactly what is going on but it seems when they are defended well, they lose all their confidence, start hurrying their shots, cannot hit a lick, and become hesitant to shoot, especially when Kelly is having a career night scoring. I guess that can be associated with lack of toughness that CDS talks about. It will be interesting to watch what happens in the off season and next year.

Last edited:

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
It's bad coaching period. CJP would coach circles around CDS. I'm sorry but it's the truth. I've said from the beginning that CDS best recruit because his coaching brings a lot to be desired. This team has enough talent to be a middle of the pack ACC team. Losses to teams like Louisville are inexcusable.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Kelly scored 36 points, yet his +/- was -8. Thank about that!
Against Wake his was -32. I looked at the last twelve games and Reeves and Ndongo both net over -100. Kelly is not far behind. In those 12 games Ndongo, Reeves, and Kelly have only ended on the + side twice each. (+8 was the best). So we have three guys(or more) who rarely, if ever, play defense or effective defense. Ndongo is a freshman so some of y'all will give him a pass. Reeves and Kelly have no excuse. They've both been around three years and can't guard anybody. I think Reeves tries, but he's easily brushed aside.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn’t he basically say they didn’t go over scouting Louisville, as he was more concerned about their effort?

I thought he said it was all about how GT played and not about Louisville. He later talked very briefly about watching film as part of game prep. Press conference linked below. Different viewers may see in various ways.

Wednesday Press Conference

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Kelly scored 36 points, yet his +/- was -8. Thank about that!
Against Wake his was -32. I looked at the last twelve games and Reeves and Ndongo both net over -100. Kelly is not far behind. In those 12 games Ndongo, Reeves, and Kelly have only ended on the + side twice each. (+8 was the best). So we have three guys(or more) who rarely, if ever, play defense or effective defense. Ndongo is a freshman so some of y'all will give him a pass. Reeves and Kelly have no excuse. They've both been around three years and can't guard anybody. I think Reeves tries, but he's easily brushed aside.
Hard to end up on the + side when your team gets stomped.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I recorded the game to watch after I finished some social obligations. Starting watching it and was pleased how we hung in there. At first. In second half we were ahead by six points but I started having a funny feeling. So I started fast forwarding through huge chunks of time. Toward the end I was just fast forwarding to see how big a lead Louisville would build.

The effort was there most of the game but we still collapsed spectacularly. The only explanation I can come up with is that we aren’t very good. And the reason for that is that we lack one or two dynamic players who can just take over a game when things get dicey.

Thoughts?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Game stats :
Note that two of our bench players were not available. That may have had some impact on the outcome. Especially with Coleman out uner concussion protocol.

If you didn't have a dog in the hunt, it was a good game for the first 30 minutes or so. Then somebody forgot to tighten the lug nuts on the wheels of our bus, the wheels rattled and then fell off.

1000004037.png