Jackets Travel to Louisville, 2/10/2024, MBB

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Purdue - helps to have a 7'4" returning College Basketball Player of the Year :ROFLMAO: Lots of systems work when you have a big that can get position and score anytime he wants.
That’s certainly true and not taking a thing away from Edey, what they do doesn’t change a lot when Edey goes out. Some is certainly less effective, but they play through Kaufman Renn (their backup) in very similar ways.
And that approach didn’t happen in response to a once in a lifetime post player either (even though Edey may be)… they played through Caleb Swanigan very similarly before Edey. They also worked Edey hard to develop.. he was pretty raw. Lots of teams wouldn’t know what to do with that and wouldn’t use him like Purdue does.
All that to say, Painters system has been pretty successful and a generational post like Edey was a match made in heaven.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
How did Murphy end up playing so many minutes. I had not seen him playing in earlier games? Is Deebo in the doghouse or hurt? Murphy seemed to be hesitant on offense and gave up the ball quickly which basically meant we were 4 1/2 against their 5. Guess our coach had his reason.
WE had 5 guys that went 3-31 total in FG%.nuff said I guess.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't matter which filter you use on those stats, shooting is still a problem for us and last night highlighted that. Or, low lighted it.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/georgia-tech/men/2024.html#conf_per_game

e are a bad 2 point shooting team, 11th by % (47.9%) in conference play 12th in 2 point attempts 34.1 per game. We are ok as a 3 point shooting team, 5th by % (35.5?) in Conference play and 1st in attempts 25.5 per game. We are 10th in both FT attempts (17) per game and FT% per game (71%).

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That’s certainly true and not taking a thing away from Edey, what they do doesn’t change a lot when Edey goes out. Some is certainly less effective, but they play through Kaufman Renn (their backup) in very similar ways.
And that approach didn’t happen in response to a once in a lifetime post player either (even though Edey may be)… they played through Caleb Swanigan very similarly before Edey. They also worked Edey hard to develop.. he was pretty raw. Lots of teams wouldn’t know what to do with that and wouldn’t use him like Purdue does.
All that to say, Painters system has been pretty successful and a generational post like Edey was a match made in heaven.
While true it's really a strange comparison as this is Painter's 20th season at Purdue! He has had a few years to work it out. He was 9-19 (3-13) his first year at Purdue. That looks familiar!

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
WE had 5 guys that went 3-31 total in FG%.nuff said I guess.
I recall in the post game interview that coach said when asked that Murphy came in and played his role effectively, playing within his abilities. It was obvious that others were having a down night. As a low-minutes yet experienced player, he did a good job and had his career high scoring at Tech of 8 points. I heard Deebo was out with a concussion watch. George looked like he had the flu or something and seemed worn-down late in the game.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Points in the paint reflects layups and putbacks by the 5 spot. Enough said
Fixed that for you. I would not say 2 point shooting % generally is as limited as you stated, and even with my modification, solid forward play may be a bigger factor in the paint. Some 5's are primarily for defense--aircraft carriers as Al McGuire used to say.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Lots of other opinions have been thrown out here, so here’s my ignorance on display
  • Stoudamire has retooled the roster. While we lost some players who could contribute, this is a much deeper and more talented roster than last year
  • The roster needed more talent in a big way
  • Stoudamire runs an offense and defense like the NBA. The worst athlete on an NBA team is better than almost anyone on an NCAA roster, except for the players ready for the draft
  • those NBA schemes show off any limitations in athleticism, effort, or technique in the same way an old school speedo shows off a beer gut.
  • We have more talent than last year, and more lineups, but all of them have at least one flaw, and are usually flawed on defense.
  • Would it have been better to run systems that cover up our weaknesses? Maybe—I’m not sure. Maybe it’s better to make the problems obvious so we fix them
  • We lose a lot of games we can and should win. We also show flashes of potential
  • The last few seasons, we were just coasting. Some fans were upset because we lost one 4* guard in the class. We aren’t going anywhere with that kind of recruiting.
  • Stoudamire is recruiting much better. We need even more, though
  • Stoudamire could leave tomorrow for an assistant NBA role. Frankly, the I think the Hawks would take him immediately and he wouldn’t have to move. He’s building his head coaching chops
  • I understand why people have doubts that he can turn the program around. The team looks bad a lot of the time.
  • I wonder what Pitino would do with this team.
  • He has a point of view about how the game should be played, and he’s coaching it and teaching it. It’s not clicking for about half of the roster or more
  • If you liked Tech’s old “sink or swim” philosophy in the classroom, this is it on the basketball court. Some of our guys are flunking, and the class GPA is low. Ain’t no curve, though.
Awesome. I meant to say all that, but you know, the Super Bowl is on

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I've got no strong opinion either way on CDS. He will prove his worth in 2-3 total seasons, or not, and I tend to grant a ton of leash in Year 1. It is what it is.

With that said, at what point is someone accountable for what they say? Sincere question. One comment CDS made last spring that is stuck in my head is "I'm going to flip this thing in 180 days."

Minimally, to me that is an example of someone who didn't manage expectations well. There have been a couple of other head scratcher comments this season for me as well. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, but it does raise questions in my mind.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've got no strong opinion either way on CDS. He will prove his worth in 2-3 total seasons, or not, and I tend to grant a ton of leash in Year 1. It is what it is.

With that said, at what point is someone accountable for what they say? Sincere question. One comment CDS made last spring that is stuck in my head is "I'm going to flip this thing in 180 days."

Minimally, to me that is an example of someone who didn't manage expectations well. There have been a couple of other head scratcher comments this season for me as well. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, but it does raise questions in my mind.
The comment I remember most vividly was when he said the offense was ahead of the defense for the first time in his coaching career. I am puzzled by our poor shooting and wonder if he saw that before his comment.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One comment CDS made last spring that is stuck in my head is "I'm going to flip this thing in 180 days."
Well so much for the Geoff Collins comparisons :sneaky: To your point though, I probably wouldn't have said anything like that just to keep expectations a bit lower. but I have to figure he thought he did see something in the team he had that would be a lot better than what we have seen. Personally I think he has gotten an introduction to today's higher end college basketball and the things to look for in players. We will see how he adjusts. He has the staff for it.