Jackets Travel to Louisville, 2/10/2024, MBB

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Deebo and Dowona concussion/hurt.
Clearly, gotta give CDS a year, likely two. He’s not going anywhere. Wasting posts on that. He deserves a chance to right things.

I’ve said it before, I like Gapare’s potential, but someone give him hand strengthening exercises. He has the weakest grip in D1. SO MANY times loses rebounds, ball go to basket, 50/50 balls - it’s maddening how soft his hands are.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
CDS is completely correct about his assessment of the team. He got Kelly’s attention, and he had a career night tonight. He got Carter Murphy’s attention and he played pretty well as a role player when given an opportunity because gapare wilted under pressure. The whole team actually started the game with more intensity, hustle and effort than usual. But, most of the players on the floor down the stretch played scared and it showed. There is not enough want to on this roster to overcome the missing talent level. Without Kelly , it would have been another 30 point loss… to the worst team in the conference. That’s not coaching, that’s talent and want to and fight.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Deebo and Dowona concussion/hurt.
Clearly, gotta give CDS a year, likely two. He’s not going anywhere. Wasting posts on that. He deserves a chance to right things.

I’ve said it before, I like Gapare’s potential, but someone give him hand strengthening exercises. He has the weakest grip in D1. SO MANY times loses rebounds, ball go to basket, 50/50 balls - it’s maddening how soft his hands are.
Gapere has Howard (I.e., Rodney) hands for sure

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Curious - what is your basis that CDS has quit on this team? Perhaps he’s struggling to find the root cause of their inconsistency - from game to game, or even within a game. Perhaps he’s been at a loss to find a floor leader. But to say he’s given up on his players. What is the evidence you see?
No one had quit the team if they show up. The coaches still get paid a bunch and the players on a scholarship contract worth over $85,000 a year still are on scholarship and obligated to play until they quit the team. The three walk-ons, playing for the fun of the game, are the only ones not on contract and still have not quit, and one of them played a solid game tonight for no more playing time he has had this year. Of course he is a 22 years old military officer in his 5th year of DI basketball. So everyone on the team needs to buck up and get their heads out of their backside and do what they are getting paid to do, coach and play D1 level basketball for Georgia Tech. There are no quitters here, but the team, including coaches may be going through the mental gymnastics of everything new and uncertain on what's next. Time for the team psychologist to go to work and everyone to take responsibility and do what they all have committed to do. Just play the game the best that can be played the way it's meant to be played. America has lost the first battle of every war ever fought. So regroup and move out. We will win if and when we can.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
How many times can you say “the effort wasn’t there” before it becomes concerning?

Once? Fine. Everyone has bad games where they take a result for granted. Sometimes you can even win a game with poor effort

Twice? Okay what’s going on. Why is the effort not there? Is it because of the opponent? A tough stretch of hard games has worn everybody out? Is there a team leader with a bad attitude?

Three times!?!? Are practices the problem? Too intense? Not intense enough? Is the locker room divided? Has the coach lost the team?

We’re well past 3 times that CDS has specifically called out the effort at this point in the year. Something is clearly wrong and not working. I didn’t even watch the game because I’m so checked out for the rest of the season after some of the piss poor results we’ve gotten. Maybe this group of players isn’t what CDS wants to run his system with, but it’s the group of players he’s got. It’s his job to have them ready to play. If he’s calling out their effort level multiple times, at least some of the blame has to go to him.

I hope we can find a way to win some more games down the stretch, maybe even one in the ACCT, but it’s not a good look right now. I hope CDS succeeds, I like him and think he fits in well at GT and in Atlanta, and clearly he’s a good basketball coach. But something has to give here soon, or we’ll be paying yet another coach to NOT coach here.
Looks simple to me .Well keep the coach, but the players are at an option

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Ironically, in the post game, this was an actual quote from him.

"You got to pay attention to detail. You got to pay attention to the scouting report. That's all I care about.".
If you folks think our head coach and staff actually didn’t scout Louisville, you’re nuts. Of course they did, but CDS is right, the game doesn’t get strategic if you aren’t executing the basics first and actually playing to win.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
it would have been another 30 point loss… to the worst team in the conference. That’s not coaching, that’s talent and want to and fight.
How is losing to the worst team in the conference, (and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th worst not including GT) not an indicator of a poor coaching performance at all? Especially when the same team has beaten the best and 2nd best teams in the conference? There’s a growing chance that UNC is the only conference opponent we DON’T lose to, simply because we don’t play them again.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
No one had quit the team if they show up. The coaches still get paid a bunch and the players on a scholarship contract worth over $85,000 a year still are on scholarship and obligated to play until they quit the team. The three walk-ons, playing for the fun of the game, are the only ones not on contract and still have not quit, and one of them played a solid game tonight for no more playing time he has had this year. Of course he is a 22 years old military officer in his 5th year of DI basketball. So everyone on the team needs to buck up and get their heads out of their backside and do what they are getting paid to do, coach and play D1 level basketball for Georgia Tech. There are no quitters here, but the team, including coaches may be going through the mental gymnastics of everything new and uncertain on what's next. Time for the team psychologist to go to work and everyone to take responsibility and do what they all have committed to do. Just play the game the best that can be played the way it's meant to be played. America has lost the first battle of every war ever fought. So regroup and move out. We will win if and when we can.
Just an aside, but is Carter Murphy not on scholarship?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you folks think our head coach and staff actually didn’t scout Louisville, you’re nuts. Of course they did, but CDS is right, the game doesn’t get strategic if you aren’t executing the basics first and actually playing to win.

It's about the hypocrisy of before the game making a big deal about not worrying about the opponent and then after the game saying all you care about is the scouting report.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Ndongo and Kelly would start for some teams in the ACC. Everyone else would be limited role players. We need to bring in, and lose, 3 or 4 players in the portal this year. 4 new freshmen, 4 new portal players, 5 existing players.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Just an aside, but is Carter Murphy not on scholarship?
No. Carter was commissioned an air force officer at the Air Force Academy last June and the Air Force is paying for his masters program in operations research at Tech and he had another covid year of eligibility and walked onto the basketball team.the other walk-ons Emmer Nicholson broke his leg and Marcos San Miguel has not played so far.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
How is losing to the worst team in the conference, (and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th worst not including GT) not an indicator of a poor coaching performance at all? Especially when the same team has beaten the best and 2nd best teams in the conference? There’s a growing chance that UNC is the only conference opponent we DON’T lose to, simply because we don’t play them again.

A few examples

At one point we had 8 offensive rebounds and only 2 second chance points. That’s lack of talent relative to your opponent and/or making mistakes due to being out matched physically. Further example, one of our not very big-big men got an offensive rebound late in the game and bricked an uncontested bunny off the back board and didn’t even draw iron. That’s playing rushed because you are outmatched physically.

A point guard airballing a free throw. That’s being in your head and completely choking.

On 3 possessions in a row down the stretch not boxing out and giving up an offensive rebound and put back for 6 points.

These are not coaching related, other than motivating players to play tough and fight for the win, and that is what CDS has been preaching lately, that players have to have enough pride to motivate themselves to not lay down and lose without a fight.

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan
I liked Pastner and wanted to see what he had in store for this year even though I understood he didn’t do enough to deserve to keep his job. I say that to say this isn’t the year to grade CDS. It’s a frustrating season and though I believed GT would have had a better season under Pastner this year, doesn’t mean that GT would be better off in the future. CDS will have better talent next season who are molded towards how he wants to play. If it shows next season that his recruiting are misses too, then you can worry. If the team doesn’t learn to hate losing after tonight, then I’m not sure it’s on CDS. They need to learn how to put the ball in the hoop.