1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Article Jackets Look to "Get Right" vs Clemson

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by ESPNjacket, Feb 5, 2019.

1. gte447f

gte447f Ramblin' Wreck

Missing 3’s is one thing; we are used to that. Missing easy bank shots from point blank range over and over again. Painful to watch. Has to be in these guys heads.

lauraee likes this.
  2. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

What's sad is that while in past years we didn't look well coached, now we look like a good coach has a team of walk-ons.

Knowing that they're not walk-ons makes me wonder what's happening to ice them.

Jose has more airballs than baskets lately. How is that possible?

3. ramblinwreck1378

ramblinwreck1378 Helluva Engineer

That was the saddest game that I can remember under Pastner. You can usually count on this group to play hard if not well, and I’m not sure you can convince me they did that tonight. Turnovers and sloppy play continued as did the poor shooting effort. Energy was nonexistent and there was even some in-fighting going on, which can escalate really fast when you have a team struggling like this.

Coaching staff needs to reel this in, or the entire last month of the season could look like this.

AE 87 likes this.
  4. ESPNjacket

ESPNjacket Helluva Engineer

Here's a kick in the parts.

lauraee likes this.
  5. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

6. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

"Have you considered quitting?"

7. YlJacket

YlJacket Helluva Engineer

That was a bad effort all around. Defense wasn't what it normally is effort wise and there was a ton of standing around on O.
    The body language of Haywood in particular sucked. Based on this game it is hard to say they are improving as this year progresses.

8. LargeFO

LargeFO Helluva Engineer

Clemson isn't a "great squad". C'mon man.

9. ESPNjacket

ESPNjacket Helluva Engineer

That was a very frustrating game to watch as a fan. The team is obviously frustrated.

This staff needs to figure it out or we need a shake up at the end of the year. Pastner is obviously here a couple more years. He needs a full staff. He is not good on his own. I saw his Memphis teams play a little bit and heard what other head coaches thought of them. That is enough to feel confident he needs help if he will succeed tactically. I think he is pretty good strategically but his offenses aren't tactically sound without LaBarrie and Hardy.

AE 87 likes this.
  10. A Love Supreme

A Love Supreme Helluva Engineer

What the heck is going on? Does this team have the collective yips or something?

AE 87 likes this.
  11. AUFC

AUFC Helluva Engineer

I like Pastner and I think he is a decent in-game strategist. He gets full props for the schizo-defense that shocked the ACC in 2016-17. I think he gets the kids playing hard-nosed defense and is really quite good at closing out games when we have the lead - he plays to win.

But it's pretty clear he is not a brand builder. To me, this program is pretty much exactly where Brian Gregory had it. Georgia's best talent (and there is LOTS of that) just straight up does not want to play here. Folks, Georgia State is a more hip program to play for in the Sun Belt than we are in the ACC. The Tom Crean hire and football success has made UGA a more desireable place to play for southeast basketball talent. And it's not going to get any easier now that the SEC is turning out basketball powerhouses beyond Kentucky.

I wouldn't care if the season ended tomorrow and I'm not even remotely excited for next November to arrive. If Pastner can't attract some good players in next year's class, I'll be counting down the days til we hit the reset button.

AE 87 likes this.
  12. Sean311

Sean311 Helluva Engineer

That stat is unreal

13. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

I like this wrastle with the data but not the comparison to CBG. We have a much bigger clue now, imo. We're just not hitting open shots.

Missing open shots, yips, for multiple games in a row suggests "nerves."

14. GTFLETCH

GTFLETCH Helluva Engineer

I am not sure there is any end in sight..... CJP has yet to do anything that shows he has us going in the right direction.

15. BigDaddyBuzz

BigDaddyBuzz Helluva Engineer

At this point we are just delaying the inevitable. It’s not going to get any better in 2 years. We are the laughing stock in state amongst high school and aau teams.
    I thought the hire was good. I thought he could recruit and hire a staff that could recruit. Unfortunately recruiting has gotten worse ( almost impossible) and his staff is poor. I also wasn’t expecting the whole lunatic Ron Bell drama and pretty much sunk DLab and our program. Only one word describes our program right now, Pathetic!

AUFC likes this.
  16. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

Can’t argue with any of that.
    He still gets 5.
    So, whatever.

GTRock likes this.
  17. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

Since you summarized your posts from JOL, do I need to rehash my "cut the check" platform over here?

I'm not arguing for or against Pastner, but anyone who is up in arms about it needs to look in the mirror and figure out how they're gonna organize to raise the money for his buyout. Also, how they're going to raise the money to overpay a coach when they see GT doesn't give someone enough time to succeed or fail, a major red flag when considering a job.

jbix80 and MidtownJacket like this.
  18. MiracleWhips

MiracleWhips Ramblin' Wreck

Since the Duke game Alvarado is shooting a combined 6/39 from the field, has no one on the staff recognized this?

7 game L streak incoming for sure

19. reckrider

reckrider Jolly Good Fellow

How about Jose and Mike switch roles? Mike’s having too many turnovers and Jose can’t hit anything.

H-Wade and dtm1997 like this.
  20. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

Guards certainly do. Was only able to watch the first half last night but they are completely lacking confidence right now. That really sucks because while I like AD and Banks they aren't the type of guys you can center an offense around. We absolutely need Jose/Devoe/Haywood to get going and if they don't I don't really see any way the offense gets on track this year. I'd much rathers ee us try and make a concentrated effort to get our guards some opportunities rather than center our offense around post ups. We should still obviously do it, but it needs to be a supplementary aspect of our offense rather than the primary one.