1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Article Jackets Look to "Get Right" vs Clemson

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by ESPNjacket, Feb 5, 2019.

1. jayparr

jayparr Helluva Engineer

I think the players hustle and play really good def. They are mostly good athletes, but the big time BB skill sets or the BB intel are not quite there. I think CJP a good bit of the time is confused himself on when and who to substitute. Also maybe who starts. All the players have contributed real well at times, but also the lapses of the BB intel get in the way of the good they are playing at.

2. alagold

alagold Helluva Engineer

I tuned in at a point when we down by 12.AD goes off with 2 baskets then Alston. At same time we are def zoning GREAT. They can barely get a shot off in time.Cut lead to 6?or so. Then a time out. JP decides to go m to m def -----and then clemp scores on 3 or 4 straight times! WHAT the --- is he doing?. With this team EVERY thing counts and Dumb -A--- moves like that we can NOT stand. Killed ANY chance for come back.

So not only is it bad basketball coaching but it is BORING.It hurts to watch our Offense.

3. SteamWhistle

SteamWhistle Helluva Engineer

I didn’t think it could get worse but Georgia is about to get the number 2 player in America.

4. BigDaddyBuzz

BigDaddyBuzz Helluva Engineer

Yep

SteamWhistle likes this.
  5. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

I was with you until the last line, "Money talks ..." That's cliche and lame. It's truth is the enemy of thoughtful discussion.

6. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

You can use the DJ Khaled thing for our bball recruiting too. This time though, it'll be 'anotha one' we don't get. :oops:

SteamWhistle likes this.
  7. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

Hey if you guys want some good news that is either the 2nd or third consecutive time Eugene Brown has been in the building to watch out middle school B team offense

GTRock, CLM, lauraee and 1 other person like this.
  8. kg01

[​IMG]

9. first&ten

first&ten Helluva Engineer

Been to every ACC home game this season, seen some terrible games and a few good games, but the clemson game was the worst! The line up never meshed, no team unity. Offensive & defensive rebounding , none. One shot and fall back on D, lazy passing led to turnovers, work your way under the basket for shot, rejected!! Pastner looked dispondent and like a lost man. I like Pastner, and don't won't it to happen, but I would not be surprised to see him resign. Just my opinion.

10. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

I think this is an interesting point that's come across my mind, but it comes down to how much he values money vs. his mental health, assuming his mental health is truly being affected by the current results.

For as poor as this stretch has been, the back half of our schedule is much more opportunistic for wins.

11. YlJacket

YlJacket Helluva Engineer

Yea I don't see him resigning as that would be a death knell for his coaching career - even more than having his contract not extended in a couple of years. And that is before any discussion of the money on the table. But there is no doubt there is a ton of frustration for everyone on this team - you can see it in the coach and the players. Interestingly AD is the one I see the least affected (from afar for sure) but he is an outlier.

I keep getting struck by the headline of this thread that Clemson was the chance to "get right". To put it mildly we didn't and with that the trajectory of this season is downward - but DTM you are right there are more chances at wins in the next part of the schedule. Starts with ND this weekend. A win over them would put a smile on some faces - at least for a while. Especially if the win had a few 3 point shots drop. It isn't going to materially change the direction of the season but it may well relieve some of the pressure/frustration that has folks speculating on resignations/transfers/etc.

On the other side, a loss to ND - especially if we don't improve offensively - would heap more frustration and pressure on this team. I am hoping they come out pissed against ND after the performance against Clemson and that CJP tweaks some things to help them in the offense. I am hopeful but we will see. The downside is "not good" shall we say.

dtm1997 likes this.
  12. LargeFO

LargeFO Helluva Engineer

Would be fine with me. I honestly thought he should have been fired when the off court gate got going.

13. kg01

Could we see him step down to take a job at another level/school? That way, he didn't "quit" necessarily.

14. YlJacket

YlJacket Helluva Engineer

Who knows. Now you are getting into the money on the table issue unless GT both waives any buyout (probable) and contributes to the other school to take him off our hands like Memphis did on the way here. For completeness though GT may well not want to see him go as we arguably won't be in position to hire the next staff even without his salary on the books sans some fancy fundraising by Todd. Need to refill the rainy day fund.

Anything is possible but I would be surprised. But I also don't know the real level of frustration in the program.

15. gte447f

gte447f Ramblin' Wreck

No way he resigns. This is his career. This is what he has to do for another 20 or 30 years. He can't just quit. Losing a few games is frustrating, but it is kind of part of the job.

He does need to get a grip though. I have heard him say in a couple of interviews that he doesn't sleep, and that was before these last two or three 20+ point losses. All the OCD repeating himself and stuff. It's not a good luck.

I like the guy. I've always liked his positive attitude. I really wanted to see him succeed, but right now it looks like he doesn't know which way is up. I hope the team gets some wins in this last stretch and gets some of that positive attitude back.

GTHomer likes this.
  16. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Things are never as bad as they seem or as good as they seem.

We're in the dust right now but there remains a chance we can rally. I like Alvarado's grit.

I do think Pastner (or someone) made some lousy, LOUSY calls in letting DLab go and replacement hiring. The Assistant Coaches are as big a deal as the Head Coach, imho.

Key still remains getting a big time recruit to commit, come, and help lead us back into relevancy. CJP has essentially got one more shot at it next year.

17. LargeFO

LargeFO Helluva Engineer

No offense to you directly, but that first line phrase is so annoying. Let's be honest, things have been BAD for the majority of 10-12 years. Give or take. Pretty bad and pretty bleak for the most part straight through. If we're being honest.

AUFC likes this.
  18. CLM

CLM Ramblin' Wreck

It all became really bad when Robert Carter Jr. left after his sophomore year. If he had stayed we would have made the tourney.

19. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

... regardless of what has happened so far this season, I will be watching and pulling for our team Sunday at 6PM against Notre Dame.

lauraee, AUFC, Peacone36 and 3 others like this.
  20. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

Yup.

Like a bad drug habit.

I’ll also drive 6 hours next weekend to see them in person

MidtownJacket, AE 87, GTpdm and 3 others like this.