Article Jackets Look to "Get Right" vs Clemson

• Highlight

Jackets Look to "Get Right" vs Clemson

Following a short hiatus, guard Brandon Alston is available again for the Jackets (photo courtesy of Glenn Beil, USA TODAY Sports)

Georgia Tech is flirting with dipping under .500 for the first time this season on Wednesday night

This league is such a gauntlet. Only in the Atlantic Coast Conference is it a relief to play the 45th ranked team in KenPom. A team that still ranks just about middle of the pack in the ACC in every defensive category. A team that just blitzed you a mere three weeks ago.

Clemson comes to town on Wednesday sporting a modest two game winning streak (Pittsburgh and Wake). Both games were played at Littlejohn where the Tigers generally take care of business. The Tigers are a less impressive 1-4 in true road games this season though and have yet to put one in the left hand column on the road since before Christmas.

Marcquise Reed continues to put up numbers for the Tigers, averaging a career best 19.1 points per game, but he is not receiving a ton of support. Through eight league games this year, only Elijah Thomas is averaging double figures (13.5) alongside Reed, who leads the Tigers at 17.8 points per game in ACC play.

Shelton Mitchell’s senior season has continued to go unexpectedly. The typically solid southpaw is averaging a pedestrian 7.3 points and 3.3 assists in over 30 minutes per game. His historic reliability from behind the arc has also fallen off. Mitchell shot 45.3% two seasons ago and 36.8% last year. This season, he has fallen all the way to 28.4% and even further in conference play to 25.9%.  In fact, on the season, Clemson ranks 271st in three point field goal percentage.  They are, however, one of the best rebounding teams in the country, so defensive rebounding could be a pivotal part of this contest.

Whether it be the competition or simply the performance, Haslam has Clemson’s two most recent games as two of their three best performances on the season.

KenPom predicts the game at 63-62 in favor of Clemson, while Haslam has it at 62-58 in favor of the kitties as well.

It’s difficult to get too confident as a Georgia Tech fan right now. The Yellow Jackets have not scored more than 61 points in any of their last six games and suffered defeat in five of those six. The solutions aren’t exactly rocket science as we just played a heck of a schedule the last few weeks. That said, James Banks and Curtis Haywood II simply need to play better. In his last three games Banks is averaging 5.3 points and 4.o rebounds along with 4 fouls in 25 minutes. He has also blocked only two shots.

Haywood is just too deep in his own head right now. In his last five games he is shooting 4% from behind the arc. He is obviously a much better shooter than that and a lot of the looks have been clean. He just needs to shoot his way out of it. Something else that could be happening is that he could be hitting the wall. Don’t forget that he only appeared in 15 games last season before undergoing surgery on his leg. Recovery from that surgery affected his conditioning from what we heard out of preseason practice. We are now 21 games into the season and he may be hitting that freshman wall a year late.

I honestly don’t have any idea what to expect, folks. At a minimum I’m looking for continued development from our young guys and continued health from our leaders. Hopefully we get to pick up the win.

Last edited:

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I think the players hustle and play really good def. They are mostly good athletes, but the big time BB skill sets or the BB intel are not quite there. I think CJP a good bit of the time is confused himself on when and who to substitute. Also maybe who starts. All the players have contributed real well at times, but also the lapses of the BB intel get in the way of the good they are playing at.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I tuned in at a point when we down by 12.AD goes off with 2 baskets then Alston. At same time we are def zoning GREAT. They can barely get a shot off in time.Cut lead to 6?or so. Then a time out. JP decides to go m to m def -----and then clemp scores on 3 or 4 straight times! WHAT the --- is he doing?. With this team EVERY thing counts and Dumb -A--- moves like that we can NOT stand. Killed ANY chance for come back.

So not only is it bad basketball coaching but it is BORING.It hurts to watch our Offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here's my view...

I live in the reality CJP is likely getting 5 years due to his contract.

I believe there are scenarios he can turn it around and still succeed at GT. My hope is that he does achieve one of these scenarios.

If I see certain players leave GT after this season, I will be the first to say Pastner should be fired and it's just a matter of time before it can happen, given buyout realities. I did the same when Carter decided to transfer.

I remain extremely pissed DLaB is gone and thrilled Bud Petersen is out. Bud had plenty of bigger fish to fry, but if you can't be a proponent of athletics, at least don't be an impediment. You'll never convince me DLaB deserved more than a 1 year suspension. At most!

I think between the two new assistants, one is absolutely showing his worth & hard work, while the other may not prove to be adding enough value. My preference is to keep the former and let the latter be judged at year end.

Always & unequivocally support our student athletes. Provide a constructive criticism the way YLJacket or ESPNJacket do about our offense, but if you're about to type something ****ty about a player, think twice. Then, if you're still gonna do it, STFU and GFY.

The bottom line is that I'm not for or against CJP at this point. The trend is not good and I think we're on pace for a change after year 5, but in the meantime I'll continue to support our players, hope for the best, and tell the whiners to cut a fat check (or a fatter check) if you're so distraught about the performance. Money talks, Bull**** walks.

I was with you until the last line, "Money talks ..." That's cliche and lame. It's truth is the enemy of thoughtful discussion.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey if you guys want some good news that is either the 2nd or third consecutive time Eugene Brown has been in the building to watch out middle school B team offense

kobe_angry.gif

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Been to every ACC home game this season, seen some terrible games and a few good games, but the clemson game was the worst! The line up never meshed, no team unity. Offensive & defensive rebounding , none. One shot and fall back on D, lazy passing led to turnovers, work your way under the basket for shot, rejected!! Pastner looked dispondent and like a lost man. I like Pastner, and don't won't it to happen, but I would not be surprised to see him resign. Just my opinion.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Been to every ACC home game this season, seen some terrible games and a few good games, but the clemson game was the worst! The line up never meshed, no team unity. Offensive & defensive rebounding , none. One shot and fall back on D, lazy passing led to turnovers, work your way under the basket for shot, rejected!! Pastner looked dispondent and like a lost man. I like Pastner, and don't won't it to happen, but I would not be surprised to see him resign. Just my opinion.

I think this is an interesting point that's come across my mind, but it comes down to how much he values money vs. his mental health, assuming his mental health is truly being affected by the current results.

For as poor as this stretch has been, the back half of our schedule is much more opportunistic for wins.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yea I don't see him resigning as that would be a death knell for his coaching career - even more than having his contract not extended in a couple of years. And that is before any discussion of the money on the table. But there is no doubt there is a ton of frustration for everyone on this team - you can see it in the coach and the players. Interestingly AD is the one I see the least affected (from afar for sure) but he is an outlier.

I keep getting struck by the headline of this thread that Clemson was the chance to "get right". To put it mildly we didn't and with that the trajectory of this season is downward - but DTM you are right there are more chances at wins in the next part of the schedule. Starts with ND this weekend. A win over them would put a smile on some faces - at least for a while. Especially if the win had a few 3 point shots drop. It isn't going to materially change the direction of the season but it may well relieve some of the pressure/frustration that has folks speculating on resignations/transfers/etc.

On the other side, a loss to ND - especially if we don't improve offensively - would heap more frustration and pressure on this team. I am hoping they come out pissed against ND after the performance against Clemson and that CJP tweaks some things to help them in the offense. I am hopeful but we will see. The downside is "not good" shall we say.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Would be fine with me. I honestly thought he should have been fired when the off court gate got going.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yea I don't see him resigning as that would be a death knell for his coaching career - even more than having his contract not extended in a couple of years.

Could we see him step down to take a job at another level/school? That way, he didn't "quit" necessarily.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Who knows. Now you are getting into the money on the table issue unless GT both waives any buyout (probable) and contributes to the other school to take him off our hands like Memphis did on the way here. For completeness though GT may well not want to see him go as we arguably won't be in position to hire the next staff even without his salary on the books sans some fancy fundraising by Todd. Need to refill the rainy day fund.

Anything is possible but I would be surprised. But I also don't know the real level of frustration in the program.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
No way he resigns. This is his career. This is what he has to do for another 20 or 30 years. He can't just quit. Losing a few games is frustrating, but it is kind of part of the job.

He does need to get a grip though. I have heard him say in a couple of interviews that he doesn't sleep, and that was before these last two or three 20+ point losses. All the OCD repeating himself and stuff. It's not a good luck.

I like the guy. I've always liked his positive attitude. I really wanted to see him succeed, but right now it looks like he doesn't know which way is up. I hope the team gets some wins in this last stretch and gets some of that positive attitude back.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Things are never as bad as they seem or as good as they seem.

We're in the dust right now but there remains a chance we can rally. I like Alvarado's grit.

I do think Pastner (or someone) made some lousy, LOUSY calls in letting DLab go and replacement hiring. The Assistant Coaches are as big a deal as the Head Coach, imho.

Key still remains getting a big time recruit to commit, come, and help lead us back into relevancy. CJP has essentially got one more shot at it next year.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Things are never as bad as they seem or as good as they seem.

We're in the dust right now but there remains a chance we can rally. I like Alvarado's grit.

I do think Pastner (or someone) made some lousy, LOUSY calls in letting DLab go and replacement hiring. The Assistant Coaches are as big a deal as the Head Coach, imho.

Key still remains getting a big time recruit to commit, come, and help lead us back into relevancy. CJP has essentially got one more shot at it next year.

No offense to you directly, but that first line phrase is so annoying. Let's be honest, things have been BAD for the majority of 10-12 years. Give or take. Pretty bad and pretty bleak for the most part straight through. If we're being honest.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
It all became really bad when Robert Carter Jr. left after his sophomore year. If he had stayed we would have made the tourney.