Article Jackets Look to "Get Right" vs Clemson

• Highlight

Jackets Look to "Get Right" vs Clemson

Following a short hiatus, guard Brandon Alston is available again for the Jackets (photo courtesy of Glenn Beil, USA TODAY Sports)

Georgia Tech is flirting with dipping under .500 for the first time this season on Wednesday night

This league is such a gauntlet. Only in the Atlantic Coast Conference is it a relief to play the 45th ranked team in KenPom. A team that still ranks just about middle of the pack in the ACC in every defensive category. A team that just blitzed you a mere three weeks ago.

Clemson comes to town on Wednesday sporting a modest two game winning streak (Pittsburgh and Wake). Both games were played at Littlejohn where the Tigers generally take care of business. The Tigers are a less impressive 1-4 in true road games this season though and have yet to put one in the left hand column on the road since before Christmas.

Marcquise Reed continues to put up numbers for the Tigers, averaging a career best 19.1 points per game, but he is not receiving a ton of support. Through eight league games this year, only Elijah Thomas is averaging double figures (13.5) alongside Reed, who leads the Tigers at 17.8 points per game in ACC play.

Shelton Mitchell’s senior season has continued to go unexpectedly. The typically solid southpaw is averaging a pedestrian 7.3 points and 3.3 assists in over 30 minutes per game. His historic reliability from behind the arc has also fallen off. Mitchell shot 45.3% two seasons ago and 36.8% last year. This season, he has fallen all the way to 28.4% and even further in conference play to 25.9%.  In fact, on the season, Clemson ranks 271st in three point field goal percentage.  They are, however, one of the best rebounding teams in the country, so defensive rebounding could be a pivotal part of this contest.

Whether it be the competition or simply the performance, Haslam has Clemson’s two most recent games as two of their three best performances on the season.

KenPom predicts the game at 63-62 in favor of Clemson, while Haslam has it at 62-58 in favor of the kitties as well.

It’s difficult to get too confident as a Georgia Tech fan right now. The Yellow Jackets have not scored more than 61 points in any of their last six games and suffered defeat in five of those six. The solutions aren’t exactly rocket science as we just played a heck of a schedule the last few weeks. That said, James Banks and Curtis Haywood II simply need to play better. In his last three games Banks is averaging 5.3 points and 4.o rebounds along with 4 fouls in 25 minutes. He has also blocked only two shots.

Haywood is just too deep in his own head right now. In his last five games he is shooting 4% from behind the arc. He is obviously a much better shooter than that and a lot of the looks have been clean. He just needs to shoot his way out of it. Something else that could be happening is that he could be hitting the wall. Don’t forget that he only appeared in 15 games last season before undergoing surgery on his leg. Recovery from that surgery affected his conditioning from what we heard out of preseason practice. We are now 21 games into the season and he may be hitting that freshman wall a year late.

I honestly don’t have any idea what to expect, folks. At a minimum I’m looking for continued development from our young guys and continued health from our leaders. Hopefully we get to pick up the win.

Last edited:

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Missing 3’s is one thing; we are used to that. Missing easy bank shots from point blank range over and over again. Painful to watch. Has to be in these guys heads.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What's sad is that while in past years we didn't look well coached, now we look like a good coach has a team of walk-ons.

Knowing that they're not walk-ons makes me wonder what's happening to ice them.

Jose has more airballs than baskets lately. How is that possible?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
That was the saddest game that I can remember under Pastner. You can usually count on this group to play hard if not well, and I’m not sure you can convince me they did that tonight. Turnovers and sloppy play continued as did the poor shooting effort. Energy was nonexistent and there was even some in-fighting going on, which can escalate really fast when you have a team struggling like this.

Coaching staff needs to reel this in, or the entire last month of the season could look like this.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That was a bad effort all around. Defense wasn't what it normally is effort wise and there was a ton of standing around on O.
The body language of Haywood in particular sucked. Based on this game it is hard to say they are improving as this year progresses.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
That was a very frustrating game to watch as a fan. The team is obviously frustrated.

This staff needs to figure it out or we need a shake up at the end of the year. Pastner is obviously here a couple more years. He needs a full staff. He is not good on his own. I saw his Memphis teams play a little bit and heard what other head coaches thought of them. That is enough to feel confident he needs help if he will succeed tactically. I think he is pretty good strategically but his offenses aren't tactically sound without LaBarrie and Hardy.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I like Pastner and I think he is a decent in-game strategist. He gets full props for the schizo-defense that shocked the ACC in 2016-17. I think he gets the kids playing hard-nosed defense and is really quite good at closing out games when we have the lead - he plays to win.

But it's pretty clear he is not a brand builder. To me, this program is pretty much exactly where Brian Gregory had it. Georgia's best talent (and there is LOTS of that) just straight up does not want to play here. Folks, Georgia State is a more hip program to play for in the Sun Belt than we are in the ACC. The Tom Crean hire and football success has made UGA a more desireable place to play for southeast basketball talent. And it's not going to get any easier now that the SEC is turning out basketball powerhouses beyond Kentucky.

I wouldn't care if the season ended tomorrow and I'm not even remotely excited for next November to arrive. If Pastner can't attract some good players in next year's class, I'll be counting down the days til we hit the reset button.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
We cut it to 8. Clemson calls timeout. They go on a 24-7 run to close it out. (Ignoring the 2 FTs with 30 seconds left, down 25)

Jose is 1 - 20 in last two games. Other than Alston, the team shot 9-37 tonight.

That stat is unreal

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I like Pastner and I think he is a decent in-game strategist. He gets full props for the schizo-defense that shocked the ACC in 2016-17. I think he gets the kids playing hard-nosed defense and is really quite good at closing out games when we have the lead - he plays to win.

But it's pretty clear he is not a brand builder. To me, this program is pretty much exactly where Brian Gregory had it. Georgia's best talent (and there is LOTS of that) just straight up does not want to play here. Folks, Georgia State is a more hip program to play for in the Sun Belt than we are in the ACC. The Tom Crean hire and football success has made UGA a more desireable place to play for southeast basketball talent. And it's not going to get any easier now that the SEC is turning out basketball powerhouses beyond Kentucky.

I wouldn't care if the season ended tomorrow and I'm not even remotely excited for next November to arrive. If Pastner can't attract some good players in next year's class, I'll be counting down the days til we hit the reset button.

I like this wrastle with the data but not the comparison to CBG. We have a much bigger clue now, imo. We're just not hitting open shots.

Missing open shots, yips, for multiple games in a row suggests "nerves."

GTFLETCH

Banned
I am not sure there is any end in sight..... CJP has yet to do anything that shows he has us going in the right direction.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
At this point we are just delaying the inevitable. It’s not going to get any better in 2 years. We are the laughing stock in state amongst high school and aau teams.
I thought the hire was good. I thought he could recruit and hire a staff that could recruit. Unfortunately recruiting has gotten worse ( almost impossible) and his staff is poor. I also wasn’t expecting the whole lunatic Ron Bell drama and pretty much sunk DLab and our program. Only one word describes our program right now, Pathetic!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
At this point we are just delaying the inevitable. It’s not going to get any better in 2 years. We are the laughing stock in state amongst high school and aau teams.
I thought the hire was good. I thought he could recruit and hire a staff that could recruit. Unfortunately recruiting has gotten worse ( almost impossible) and his staff is poor. I also wasn’t expecting the whole lunatic Ron Bell drama and pretty much sunk DLab and our program. Only one word describes our program right now, Pathetic!

Can’t argue with any of that.
He still gets 5.
So, whatever.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Since you summarized your posts from JOL, do I need to rehash my "cut the check" platform over here?

I'm not arguing for or against Pastner, but anyone who is up in arms about it needs to look in the mirror and figure out how they're gonna organize to raise the money for his buyout. Also, how they're going to raise the money to overpay a coach when they see GT doesn't give someone enough time to succeed or fail, a major red flag when considering a job.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Since the Duke game Alvarado is shooting a combined 6/39 from the field, has no one on the staff recognized this?

7 game L streak incoming for sure

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What the heck is going on? Does this team have the collective yips or something?

Guards certainly do. Was only able to watch the first half last night but they are completely lacking confidence right now. That really sucks because while I like AD and Banks they aren't the type of guys you can center an offense around. We absolutely need Jose/Devoe/Haywood to get going and if they don't I don't really see any way the offense gets on track this year. I'd much rathers ee us try and make a concentrated effort to get our guards some opportunities rather than center our offense around post ups. We should still obviously do it, but it needs to be a supplementary aspect of our offense rather than the primary one.