It is utterly amazing...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'd prefer we swap to a rotational schedule but be allowed to schedule ACC opponents as "out of conference" opponents in years where they are not on our rotation. This ensures teams can keep rivalry games while also balancing schedules. You will always have someone get unlucky on a bad rotation, but that luck will be equally shared. Having a true rotation also allows for new schedule variety which is another plus.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
All of us need to accept the fact that we lost to Duke. My opinion is that we lost any reason to complain about Duke's SOS when they beat us.

Also, I'm sure all the Atlantic coast team fans are complaining the need to play FSU/Clemson every year. There used to be a period where all the strongest ACC teams were on the Coastal side.

This.

If anything, Clemson fans should be complaining that they are likely the second best team in the ACC for probably the second straight year and yet can't get into the ACC championship game because of one loss to FSU.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This.

If anything, Clemson fans should be complaining that they are likely the second best team in the ACC for probably the second straight year and yet can't get into the ACC championship game because of one loss to FSU.
Almost the entire SECw can say that.

Mr. Keen

Banned
No one cared about Duke's crossover game being Wake when they were doormat every year.

No one cares NOW / No one cared then.

Actually, I cared back then. I knew it (cross-over game) was stupid from the "get go". To get Miami to come to the ACC - I am sure the powers to be said we will put you in the opposite division and you play FSU every year in the regular season and then again in the ACC Championship Game. That hasn't exactly panned out for Miami - has it!

Whatever...... best bet is to enjoy the Tech games and ignore everything else about college football as much as humanly possible.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm with the Cheese on this one.

I will say this, however. I am no fan of making the schedule harder in the hopes it will change our chances to get into the playoffs (slim already until it goes to 8 teams). As Cheese says, until SoS plays into who gets chosen seriously, there's no percentage in making our road forward harder then usual. Every team has a few softer spots in its schedule and I see no reason to give those up. If we were to win 11 games next year (let it be, dear Lord) no one will care even two years afterward who we beat to get there.

Russellm0704

Georgia Tech Fan
That we the "fans" allow for an unbalanced schedule in college football.

I can live with (in general - not GT specific):
  • All the illegal payments to recruits.
  • The fact the Head Coach makes 10x $$$ what the governor makes.
  • Navy's head coach is the highest paid Fed. Govt. employee in the USA.
  • Most all the players take remedial classes.
  • The student sections are half empty across the country.
But, the fact that DUKE plays Wake Forest every year as their "built-in" cross-over game as compared to GT playing Clemson - renders the entire season 100% completely unfair and phenomenally stupid!!!

What is even more sad is that a vast majority of Tech fans would like to keep things this way (play Clemson every year) rather than have a true rotational schedule where each team (based on the previous year's record) plays 1 "good team" and 1 "bad team" from the other division. This can be done - not difficult.

This year Virginia plays (played) FSU and Louisville from the Atlantic while Duke plays Syracuse and Wake Forest. This makes Duke's schedule roughly 2 billion times less difficult than Virginia's. Yet nothing is EVER mentioned about this!?!?!?!?! Throw in the fact Duke played 4 high school teams to start the season and "strategically" had an "open date" before the games against the 2 teams they lost to last season (Tech & Pitt). Talk about something so unbelievable unfair and stupid - it defies description!

There are so many things unfair and corrupt about college football that we (the fans) can't change. The unbalanced schedule is one that we could change... but, we don't. That is because we (the fans) are a bunch of lazy sacks of excrement!

CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!
You act like it is so unfair that Duke will probably play in the ACC Championship over us... They came into our stadium and pushed us around. The game was not close until a few good plays at the end. If you really think we can afford to lose one of our 2 opponents that actually fills our 55k seat stadium then hats off to you.

Mr. Keen

Banned
As has been pointed out, if we'd beaten Duke this conversation most likely wouldn't be taking place. Let it go.

That is the WHOLE PROBLEM WITH EVERYTHING in this world. If we beat DUKE 223-0 - the situation (cross-over game should be eliminated) would still be a travesty - hello to any sane person out there!

I am sure that Arthur Blank would agree to TWO (16 is twice 8 - so 2 cross-overs for the NFL) cross-over games every year with New England and let the Saints play the sh*t-*** Jets twice a year in perpetuity. The chances of that happening are 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% likely to happen.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
No one cares NOW / No one cared then.

Actually, I cared back then. I knew it (cross-over game) was stupid from the "get go". To get Miami to come to the ACC - I am sure the powers to be said we will put you in the opposite division and you play FSU every year in the regular season and then again in the ACC Championship Game. That hasn't exactly panned out for Miami - has it!

Whatever...... best bet is to enjoy the Tech games and ignore everything else about college football as much as humanly possible.

3GT is that you?

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd prefer we swap to a rotational schedule but be allowed to schedule ACC opponents as "out of conference" opponents in years where they are not on our rotation. This ensures teams can keep rivalry games while also balancing schedules. You will always have someone get unlucky on a bad rotation, but that luck will be equally shared. Having a true rotation also allows for new schedule variety which is another plus.
I vote for something more like this. I like seeing all of the teams in the ACC and going to different venues more often than once every decade. I would keep a permanent rival and then rotate the rest of the teams through. Sure someone would get screwed from time to time but thats just life.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd allow for a caveat that you can play an additional non-power 5 OOC if that school is in your state. Do a favor for the "little guys" in your state...

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
That we the "fans" allow for an unbalanced schedule in college football.

I can live with (in general - not GT specific):
  • All the illegal payments to recruits.
  • The fact the Head Coach makes 10x $$$ what the governor makes.
  • Navy's head coach is the highest paid Fed. Govt. employee in the USA.
  • Most all the players take remedial classes.
  • The student sections are half empty across the country.
But, the fact that DUKE plays Wake Forest every year as their "built-in" cross-over game as compared to GT playing Clemson - renders the entire season 100% completely unfair and phenomenally stupid!!!

What is even more sad is that a vast majority of Tech fans would like to keep things this way (play Clemson every year) rather than have a true rotational schedule where each team (based on the previous year's record) plays 1 "good team" and 1 "bad team" from the other division. This can be done - not difficult.

This year Virginia plays (played) FSU and Louisville from the Atlantic while Duke plays Syracuse and Wake Forest. This makes Duke's schedule roughly 2 billion times less difficult than Virginia's. Yet nothing is EVER mentioned about this!?!?!?!?! Throw in the fact Duke played 4 high school teams to start the season and "strategically" had an "open date" before the games against the 2 teams they lost to last season (Tech & Pitt). Talk about something so unbelievable unfair and stupid - it defies description!

There are so many things unfair and corrupt about college football that we (the fans) can't change. The unbalanced schedule is one that we could change... but, we don't. That is because we (the fans) are a bunch of lazy sacks of excrement!

CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!

The ACC votes every year on a 9 game schedule. Once ND joins, and/or the ACC uses its new found autonomy, we will either disband the divisions or move to a nine game schedule. I'd love a 10 game conference schedule, but that wont happen. The 9 game schedule will be the leagues best chance to change this issue.

Removing the conferences could multiply this issue by 1000, but it would change on a yearly basis and even out over time.

A 10 game schedule without conferences would limit the chance of an unbalanced schedule. You may play FSU and ND, but Duke would play Clemson and Louisville. Plus, we'd see Clemson 4 out of 5 years, so rivalries really wouldn't cease.

And people want to become governors because of the power it gives them. Money does not need to be an added incentive.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All of us need to accept the fact that we lost to Duke. My opinion is that we lost any reason to complain about Duke's SOS when they beat us.

Also, I'm sure all the Atlantic coast team fans are complaining the need to play FSU/Clemson every year. There used to be a period where all the strongest ACC teams were on the Coastal side.
John, you hit the nail on the head with this one. We lost to Duke. If they win out so be it. We had our chance to beat them and we didn't get it done. We controlled our own destiny and laid an egg right there on the turf. They may have an easier schedule, but if we take care of our business it wouldn't matter. I am in favor of an additional ACC game every year and maybe even a reorganization of sorts, but as far as this year goes, we did it to ourselves against PUKE and UNC.

That being said, I am still insanely mad at PITT for not centering the ball on that last run before Blewitt (what a name) tried the kick at the end of regulation. STEAMING MAD.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Tell that to Mike London - UVA. He will probably lose his job because they have played one of the toughest out of conference schedules in the ACC. Two or three cream puffs and he is looking at an extension instead of being canned.
Any GT coach has it tougher than Mike London.
Whining about how unfair life is, is just a waste of time and an excuse. And excuses are the mortar that build the walls of failure.

Mr. Keen

Banned
Any GT coach has it tougher than Mike London.
Whining about how unfair life is, is just a waste of time and an excuse. And excuses are the mortar that build the walls of failure.
The NFL Schedule is not unfair. Let's compare the Falcons and the Saints (same division) - they each play 6 games in the division (home and home) / each team plays the NFC Central (Green Bay's Division) 2 home 2 away / Each play the AFC Central (Pitt's Division) 2 home 2 away / This leaves 2 games out of 16 - each team then plays one team from the NFC East and one from the NFC West (Falcons play the Giants and Cardinals while the Saints play the Cowboys and 49ers (1 home and 1 away) - based on last years standings - this is fairly even. Therefore, the NFL gets it - with a short season the NFL has an extremely fair and balanced schedule. Meanwhile, college football has even less games and the schedules are all unfair - some teams even play 8 at home 4 on the road! But, let's not complain - I say let's just continue to take it up the rectum!

Mr. Keen

Banned
By the way - we the fans actually have a lot of power to invoke CHANGE. We just don't choose top use it. That is because we are not unified and we are too lazy and don't care. For instance, if we wanted a head coach fired - if no home team fans (and I mean no one) showed up for the game (ate their tickets) until the ownership fired the coach - that coach would very soon be fired. Trust me on this. But, like I said, we (the fans) aren't united - and would rather just go to the game since we can't do anything about it. Believe me - if absolutely no one shows up at the TIT until Gregory is canned - he would very soon be canned.