It is utterly amazing...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I like playing Clemson every year. We are old rivals. Duke cannot help the fact that they got lucky with the scheduling breaks. If they are not a worthy team some one will bring them down to earth, I promise. I hated that we lost to them but that is the way it goes.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
All of us need to accept the fact that we lost to Duke. My opinion is that we lost any reason to complain about Duke's SOS when they beat us.

Also, I'm sure all the Atlantic coast team fans are complaining the need to play FSU/Clemson every year. There used to be a period where all the strongest ACC teams were on the Coastal side.
Agree with this.

Why not? We beat them last year at their place and they went to Charlotte.
Also agree with this. We win the Coastal last year if we play Wake and Duke plays Clemson. Instead Duke (6-2) goes to Charlotte and GT (5-3) stays home.

As many have already said this is why division record is the best way to decide who is best in the division.. Does that just make too much sense? I haven't heard a single argument against the fairness of this solution. It also minimizes any issues around strength of primary crossovers.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with this.

Also agree with this. We win the Coastal last year if we play Wake and Duke plays Clemson. Instead Duke (6-2) goes to Charlotte and GT (5-3) stays home.

As many have already said this is why division record is the best way to decide who is best in the division.. Does that just make too much sense? I haven't heard a single argument against the fairness of this solution. It also minimizes any issues around strength of primary crossovers.

Yes, that makes too much sense. Surely it would be done already if there wasn't some kind of rule which said you couldn't do it?

Why not? We beat them last year at their place and they went to Charlotte.

Now this is a very good point.
But didn't they beat Miami, who we lost to? And didn't they beat Va. Tech who we lost to? They started 0-2 in the conference, but came on strong. We got Clemson and Syracuse cross division, they had NCST and Wake. We beat them and had the tiebreaker, but couldn't hold service.
Now, they have the win against us. We compounded our problems by throwing the Carolina game away. Now we have to beat Clemson and NCST like Duke beat Va Tech and Miami last year. You have to WIN THE GAMES if you want to win the division. If you lose the games, you can't say anything.

Yes, that makes too much sense. Surely it would be done already if there wasn't some kind of rule which said you couldn't do it?
At some point, somebody, Athletic Director, or Head Coach, or President, representing Georgia Tech, signed off on the present arrangement. We like it because we want home-and-home with Clemson, instead of home-and-home with Wake or Syracuse or Boston College. The idea seemed good when Duke was a sure win, because we never envisioned we would be beating Miami and Va Tech only 20% of the time. We owned UNC and we were competitive with Clemson. Things change.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This board has a broad spectrum of fans.
Some like me want an ever increasingly challenging schedule that build new rivalries in the belief that we will rise to the competition. I evaluate the team and coaches on strength of teams we play . I do not count games against Elon, Presbyterian, woo ford, MTSU . I barely consider games against teams like Tulane, Kansas, wake forest.

To me padding a record with games no on cares about is only needed if you are hoping for a top ten rating at end of year. Some seem to pine for playing as many crappy teams as possible and then adding wake forest in the hope we regularly win the coastal.

We are a great university with an outstanding football legacy AND WE ARE in ATLANTA. lets swarm

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I'm with the Cheese on this one.

I will say this, however. I am no fan of making the schedule harder in the hopes it will change our chances to get into the playoffs (slim already until it goes to 8 teams). As Cheese says, until SoS plays into who gets chosen seriously, there's no percentage in making our road forward harder then usual. Every team has a few softer spots in its schedule and I see no reason to give those up. If we were to win 11 games next year (let it be, dear Lord) no one will care even two years afterward who we beat to get there.
Amen!

Animal02

Banned
This board has a broad spectrum of fans.
Some like me want an ever increasingly challenging schedule that build new rivalries in the belief that we will rise to the competition. I evaluate the team and coaches on strength of teams we play . I do not count games against Elon, Presbyterian, woo ford, MTSU . I barely consider games against teams like Tulane, Kansas, wake forest.

To me padding a record with games no on cares about is only needed if you are hoping for a top ten rating at end of year. Some seem to pine for playing as many crappy teams as possible and then adding wake forest in the hope we regularly win the coastal.

We are a great university with an outstanding football legacy AND WE ARE in ATLANTA. lets swarm

With the current setup for the NC......the only way for Tech to make it is to go undefeated. Being undefeated at the end of the season will almost always be an assured spot in the 4 game playoff......regardless of SOS.......that is just a fact......so why shoot ourselves in the foot by scheduling OCC games that are a 50/50 chance of winning? Until the selection process changes to not accepting FCS wins and discounting non P5 wins......I have all for scheduling the Tulane, Kansas, Eastern Mich etc. etc.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Gt academics backs down to no other state institution - it attracts the best students.
Gt football will improve in all areas after the tougher schedule next year.
We can agree to disagree on what we gain by beating FCS and historically weak FBS teams.
I think we get the athletes we deserve.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
With the current setup for the NC......the only way for Tech to make it is to go undefeated. Being undefeated at the end of the season will almost always be an assured spot in the 4 game playoff......regardless of SOS.......that is just a fact......so why shoot ourselves in the foot by scheduling OCC games that are a 50/50 chance of winning? Until the selection process changes to not accepting FCS wins and discounting non P5 wins......I have all for scheduling the Tulane, Kansas, Eastern Mich etc. etc.
Does this have to be either / or? I want Tech to play more interesting and tougher teams OCC. But I also want some soft spots in the schedule that allow Tech the opportunity to work on things offensively and defensively. Let us not forget that while Alabama was building their program into the beast that it is now they had schedules that were consistently ranked some of the weakest in the nation.

I want what I probably cannot have -a schedule that builds carefully, has appropriately placed bye weeks, a cream puff or two to work out kinks in the offense and defense, and which allows Tech to pace the schedule out in such a way to give them the maximum opportunity to succeed while attracting national attention. Yeah, I want it all.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
By the way - we the fans actually have a lot of power to invoke CHANGE. We just don't choose top use it. That is because we are not unified and we are too lazy and don't care. For instance, if we wanted a head coach fired - if no home team fans (and I mean no one) showed up for the game (ate their tickets) until the ownership fired the coach - that coach would very soon be fired. Trust me on this. But, like I said, we (the fans) aren't united - and would rather just go to the game since we can't do anything about it. Believe me - if absolutely no one shows up at the TIT until Gregory is canned - he would very soon be canned.
Thank God the mob isn't united enough to invoke change. If they were, CPJ would have already been fired as would Mark Richt and pretty much anyone else who lost a game.

Animal02

Banned
Does this have to be either / or? I want Tech to play more interesting and tougher teams OCC. But I also want some soft spots in the schedule that allow Tech the opportunity to work on things offensively and defensively. Let us not forget that while Alabama was building their program into the beast that it is now they had schedules that were consistently ranked some of the weakest in the nation.

I want what I probably cannot have -a schedule that builds carefully, has appropriately placed bye weeks, a cream puff or two to work out kinks in the offense and defense, and which allows Tech to pace the schedule out in such a way to give them the maximum opportunity to succeed while attracting national attention. Yeah, I want it all.

As long as the selection committee and the rankings allow for the weak schedules.......it does have to remain an either/or. Have state many times, I would prefer that FCS wins not be counted WRT the NC chase, only allow them for bowl eligibility. That would force the P5 teams (and any other contender/pretender) to schedule "up" if they want to contend for the NC. This would also allow the lower level FBS teams to schedule the FCS teams in the hopes that they could become bowl eligible (and at the same time be more exciting games at that level) But what do I know...I am only a dumb Tech grad ;)

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as the selection committee and the rankings allow for the weak schedules.......it does have to remain an either/or. Have state many times, I would prefer that FCS wins not be counted WRT the NC chase, only allow them for bowl eligibility. That would force the P5 teams (and any other contender/pretender) to schedule "up" if they want to contend for the NC. This would also allow the lower level FBS teams to schedule the FCS teams in the hopes that they could become bowl eligible (and at the same time be more exciting games at that level) But what do I know...I am only a dumb Tech grad ;)

Just curious, but have you actually watched one of the playoff selection shows? Because they have indeed been considering SOS. Not sure where the comments about disregarding SOS are coming from.

Animal02

Banned
Just curious, but have you actually watched one of the playoff selection shows? Because they have indeed been considering SOS. Not sure where the comments about disregarding SOS are coming from.

SOS may come into play for (SEC) teams with a loss.....but a P5 teams that goes undefeated is going to make it into the playoff.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
SOS may come into play for (SEC) teams with a loss.....but a P5 teams that goes undefeated is going to make it into the playoff.
This will be true most years. Eventually it won't and someone wi be left out who has a perfect record. I sure would hate to be that team. Again I concede it won't happen often.