Is Collins nasty enough to be a HC ?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
The only point that I'll respond to in this thread is the original premise.

Two quick thoughts:
1) I agree Collins is a "players' coach", with both the positive and negative connotations that come with that, fairly or not. The negative is the "nice guy" rub. Incidentally, Collins just lost to a "players' coach" in Dino Babers. So something has to give there.

2) I posted this after the FSU game: https://gtswarm.com/threads/jackets-brought-the-juice-to-tallahassee.22134/page-15#post-744952

As it relates to this thread, I think it just comes down to confirmation bias. No one sees practices. No one sees inside the locker room. Those who have said Collins can get heated and is relentlessly paying attention to details. And some are ignoring/not seeing the evidence on national TV that contradicts their theory.

It's fine, and maybe Collins isn't nasty enough for what is needed. My personal opinion is that I think the results are still TBD.

Definitely concur on the TBD.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't have an issue with a coach being tough or a players coach. It comes down to recruiting and making sure your players are prepared for anything thrown at them. Recruiting remains to be seen..particularly if we have another poor season in terms of wins. Other than FSU (which is clearly a very poor team after watching them get destroyed by Miami), we have been getting beat up in the 4th quarter. It appears to be pressing to come from behind (turnovers), lack of experienced depth (recruiting) and to an extent getting outcoached at the end of games. To get better recruits, we are going to need to get 4 to 5 wins and right now I am not sure who we would be favored against in the remainder of our schedule. We are clearly well behind Clemson, ND and Miami. The other thing the coaches have got to solve is turnovers which to a great extent is scheme. The intermediate passes take time to develop which we don't have against blitzes and even when decent protection have resulted in most of our interceptions. We have got to get smarter in short passes (swing passes, screens, etc.) and stretching the field with long passes to get the defense honest. My biggest fear is we will not win games unless we have superior talent since I don't think we have very creative schemes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You mean like this?

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.56.12 AM.png

I always felt for Chris Griffin when I saw this.

Or, maybe, this?

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.54.42 AM.png

Or this?

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.58.01 AM.png

Yeah, I miss that myself. It didn't always work in Paul's favor, but I bet his players didn't like coming to the sideline when they screwed up.

But maybe that style doesn't work with modern players. Oh. wait …

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.08.44 PM.png

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
When Bobby Bowden started being a grandfather to his players (less discipline), his teams obviously declined. Kids (yes, 18-22 year olds are still kids) - I was also when I was that age, even though most around me probably thought I was more mature - I was a knucklehead and needed to grow with tough love and discipline still - are not "different" today. If anything, they may be in more need of tough love at 18-22 than 30 years ago. I am the first to admit that I have no idea if CGC and his staff are providing this tough love when it is needed, but Saturday was definitely showing possible missing discipline symptoms. Like I said, let's see what happens in 2 weeks. (don't have to win, but play clean and disciplined)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I understand some people are intensely competitive. Just ask Woody Hayes . Can cost you your job if you go too far. I think PJ's inability to compete at the highest levels was the reason we have a new coach. I would like to see more "fire in the belly" of our new coach but that does not appear to be his style. I don't care as long as he can start winning.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You mean like this?

View attachment 9109

I always felt for Chris Griffin when I saw this.

Or, maybe, this?

View attachment 9110

Or this?

View attachment 9111

Yeah, I miss that myself. It didn't always work in Paul's favor, but I bet his players didn't like coming to the sideline when they screwed up.

But maybe that style doesn't work with modern players. Oh. wait …

View attachment 9112
Avoiding comparisons to past coaches (because it doesn't do anyone any good for me to say how much I enjoyed CPJ and his style of play/coaching/etc) but I will say that it seems the staff is laying the ground work to be able to GATA when needed, it is however a process.

If the guys don't know how much you care about them, they don't particularly care what you think of them when they're inherited dudes. Looking back at my athletic career (never played D1 sports but played sports all through middle/high/college and post college in recreational leagues for Soccer and Rugby) the best coaches I ever had (and incidentally the best teams I played on) where when there was enough trust to get corrections from coaches across the spectrum. Someone mentioned Urban Meyer's proclivity to stop a scrimmage and make the players redo the play if he didn't like the way the team or players lined up and got set. That level of detail and focus seems to be lacking on this team. Maybe the coaches are trying and the players are just not translating what the coaches are trying for, but either way we have to get better teachers. The kicking issues, turn overs, penalties are unacceptable and accountability has to show up in a way that makes it real for the players.

Obviously this staff (and anyone old enough to talk about sports for that matter) understand the concept, we have a bye week coming up so I am hoping we get that message delivered and received so we can come out Next Friday Night and clean up and show out.

Go Jackets.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Avoiding comparisons to past coaches (because it doesn't do anyone any good for me to say how much I enjoyed CPJ and his style of play/coaching/etc) but I will say that it seems the staff is laying the ground work to be able to GATA when needed, it is however a process.

If the guys don't know how much you care about them, they don't particularly care what you think of them when they're inherited dudes. Looking back at my athletic career (never played D1 sports but played sports all through middle/high/college and post college in recreational leagues for Soccer and Rugby) the best coaches I ever had (and incidentally the best teams I played on) where when there was enough trust to get corrections from coaches across the spectrum. Someone mentioned Urban Meyer's proclivity to stop a scrimmage and make the players redo the play if he didn't like the way the team or players lined up and got set. That level of detail and focus seems to be lacking on this team. Maybe the coaches are trying and the players are just not translating what the coaches are trying for, but either way we have to get better teachers. The kicking issues, turn overs, penalties are unacceptable and accountability has to show up in a way that makes it real for the players.

Obviously this staff (and anyone old enough to talk about sports for that matter) understand the concept, we have a bye week coming up so I am hoping we get that message delivered and received so we can come out Next Friday Night and clean up and show out.

Go Jackets.
Normally, I try to avoid comparisons too, but this thread literally asked for it.

I don't really think Collins isn't "nasty enough" to be a head coach at all. He's easy tough enough for the job or he wouldn't have been hired. I'm more disappointed by the way the team looks so poorly coached in fundamental aspects of football. There is simply no excuse for the number of penalties we are getting charged for. The continuing problems on special teams (except Pressley) are troubling too. The other miscues are often due to a lack of game experience. That, I can understand and sympathize with and there isn't much that can be done about it but to play games.

Well, it is a good thing we are getting a week off. Louisville is a pretty good outfit, but, if we cut down on the unforced errors, we could have a chance. Getting some key people back would sure help too.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
alright Nostradamus, what's the lotto numbers this week? It wasn't quite a 20 point lead but I can't believe they blew it again
Wish i could predict them as well as i can predict soft coverage and conservative play calling from a dan quinn coached team. Matt Ryan threw 5 passes in the third and fourth quarter before they were down.

Deleted member 2897

You want this? View attachment 9105

I promise it’s not sweet at practice or meetings

I was about to ask – who here has been within 20 feet of CPJ when he was berating our OL while they were on the bench between series? Every F word known to man, grabbing their jerseys. Each coach is different. The one we have now is great at connecting with kids in today’s generation. He knows how to recruit them, how to coach them, what makes them tick. Spitting F words across a players face from 6 inches doesn’t really recruit Well. And I happen to also think you don’t need that to get your point across. I made my 9th grade son cry 2 days ago over a discipline issue and I never raised my voice, appeared violent, or got up in his face. Our kids have the highest SATs of any public college football team - they’re not stupid. They‘re not lazy. To each his own, but whether we rise or fall it won’t be because of how much or how little we berate our guys.

Deleted member 2897

Is Dabo mean enough to be a head coach? I remember when people were calling him a clown.
I remember when Bobby Ross was 5-17 in his first two years. Was he qualified to be a head coach?

It amazes me how many people on this board don't have a clue. They don't understand that talent and experience matter. They just throw out "poor coaching" and don't even know what that means. As Urban Meyer said, college football starts and ends with recruiting. A large number of posters think coaches should be able to take any group and turn them into a top 10 team if the coaching is good enough. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Our recruiting sucked for a long time. That is the hand Collins was dealt. 8 new starters on D last year, and we lost Adams. We are still very young on D. The OL isn't nearly where it needs to be, and won't be until the current FR are third year players. We are staring a true FR QB--for better or worse, and probably worse the last two games.

Someone posted about all 4 stars we have. How many are on the OL, DT, DE, LB, TE, WR? OK Clayton is a five star DE, but he is rusty and maybe still hurt.

I'm not happy about 15 penalties and that is not acceptable. The kicking game is not acceptable, but again, Collins didn't inherit a great kicker.

A lot of the complaints about coaching are people who are just venting and I get that. But there is a whole lot of stupidity being exhibited on this board.

Dabo is still a clown. That’s why he was brought in. Let the coaches coach, and the clown recruit.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I was about to ask – who here has been within 20 feet of CPJ when he was berating our OL while they were on the bench between series? Every F word known to man, grabbing their jerseys. Each coach is different. The one we have now is great at connecting with kids in today’s generation. He knows how to recruit them, how to coach them, what makes them tick. Spitting F words across a players face from 6 inches doesn’t really recruit Well. And I happen to also think you don’t need that to get your point across. I made my 9th grade son cry 2 days ago over a discipline issue and I never raised my voice, appeared violent, or got up in his face. Our kids have the highest SATs of any public college football team - they’re not stupid. They‘re not lazy. To each his own, but whether we rise or fall it won’t be because of how much or how little we berate our guys.

Running any organization includes recruiting, selecting, building, managing and rewarding teams.

Recruiting isn’t enough. You also have to create a way to objectively evaluate performance and hold people accountable.

It’s the whole process.

GTFLETCH

Banned
After watching the game again...Perhaps they should never try to kick the ball….The kicking struggles are truly baffling at this point. (Coach Collins said it would be fixed...I guess he is to busy with the juice crew to fix it) Overall, this loss to Cuse is right up there with the losses to The Citadel, VT and Temple last season as the worse of the Geoff Collins era. I do not believe the players were ready, period. Body language, way they walked, held their head, facial expressions, etc..... So far his recruiting is awesome but his coaching is leaving a lot to be desired. It is what it is....

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
It's freaking amazing the amount of whining and criticism three games into year 2 especially after missing most of Spring practice. He's not playing a video game where you just plug dudes in and everything works all of a sudden. We are YOUNG. We had several starters out. Imagine Syracuse not hitting two long TD passes if Swilling isn't hurt? Our margin for error is already paper thin. We are getting better talent than we've had in a long time. Show some patience

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
71-5 over the last 6years..We need a clown like that!
Of course he did not start out that way. There were plenty of people questioning his coaching ability early in his tenure. It took him a little while to get going. I think it is too early to make any definitive statements about Collins. Right now I am looking for improvement throughout the season and development of our young players.