Is Collins nasty enough to be a HC ?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Nasty is a bad word to use. I have always thought Tech would do better with a hard nose coach more of a military style coach like Ross and O'leary . A players coach would not work as well at Tech.
I would have thought CGC working with O'Leary and Saban would he been more like them. Maybe he has a plan to get the players he wants and then change his style.
I really think we have some good coaches on the staff and some that could get better and maybe a few that need to go. This is something CGC needs to do this year a make a decision before it's to late for him. But it will not be easy cause good coaches may not want to work for a head coach that only has 4 years as a head coach, so you are looking at young coaches that will need to learn. Year 2 will be over this year so it's getting to the point something needs to be done after this year.
I debated about whether to use the word NASTY, and when I did it almost seemed wrong. But the deed was done, and I didn't know how, or if I could change it.
As far as I know CGC coaches DBs and their WRs were getting behind our DBs all day. That's basic coaching to me. Lack of focus and discipline.

Last edited:

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
That's why I created the thread. To see if anyone had the same feelings as me right now. Apparently many do and some don't. That is a good thread to me. Nobody wants ONLY cheerleaders or whiners, do we ?
I didn’t say anything about only having cheerleaders or whining. My post was specifically about a poster who tried to flex his giving to make his point more valid. For all he knows, the person he replied to gives 10x what he gives. No one cares if or how much money you give to the program. Complain or cheer it doesn’t matter to me but don’t try and use your donations as some kind of elitist symbol.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Until you're in the locker room and on the practice field, you have no idea what kind of grief CGC is giving the guys who are screwing up. I fully expect that there has been some butt chewing about the penalties. Not so sure there has been about the turnovers, or that there needs to be regarding the turnovers.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I allowed for that possibility in my initial comment. I thought we would come out on fire in the 2nd half after a chewing out. As far as I could tell, it got worse. Maybe it does only happen on the practice field and also maybe some of the coaches can be critical. It's like having kids. You can't always be their friend.
Sometimes you have to parent (coach), and use some disciplne. Maybe that doesn't mean yelling, but lack of focus and disciplne on the field needs to have consequences. Maybe move them off the ATL ?

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, because he now is "my" coach, when they panned to Geoff on the sideline late in the game, I initially felt sorry for him. He looked so despondent and confused. I think he knew he was going to have to accept blame in a big way for this performance, and to his credit, he did. With that said, I have to remember he wanted this job - he wanted it so bad he lobbied and pursued Todd more than Todd pursued him, at least initially. At this point, I need another "catchphrase" from him. Not sure what it will be, but it has to be about discipline and execution. I am not good at marketing phrases, but it is obvious what this team needs right now. Of course, it is not the catchphrase they need - but the actual implementation of the catchphrase. I believe since CGC has coached under O'Leary and Saban, he is fully aware of what he and the other coaches must do for the next 2 weeks, so I am going to be cautiously optimistic about the next game. Will we win? Probably not. Will we be embarrassed by penalties and turnovers? I will "choose" to believe for now the answer is "no".

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, because he now "my" coach, when they panned to Geoff on the sideline late in the game, I initially felt sorry for him. He looked so despondent and confused. I think he knew he was going to have to accept blame in a big way for this performance, and to his credit, he did. With that said, I have to remember he wanted this job - he wanted it so bad he lobbied and pursued Todd more than Todd pursued him, at least initially. At this point, I need another "catchphrase" from him. Not sure what it will be, but it has to be about discipline and execution. I am not good at marketing phrases, but it is obvious what this team needs right now. Of course, it is not the catchphrase they need - but the actual implementation of the catchphrase. I believe since CGC has coached under O'Leary and Saban, he is fully aware of what he and the other coaches must do for the next 2 weeks, so I am going to be cautiously optimistic about the next game. Will we win? Probably not. Will we be embarrassed by penalties and turnovers? I will "choose" to believe for now the answer is "no".
It will be an interesting game if only for that reason.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to let CGC be CGC and believe he is smart and will make whatever changes he needs to make when he is able to make those changes. This rebuild needs a couple more years beyond this year IMO. I don't think he is BS ing us when he says this is one of the biggest switch over changes to be made in a long time at a major program, that may not be his exact words, but my interpretation of what he has been saying. We were always going to have to pay a big price or stay with the TO. We are small, we are slow, recruiting is all I know that "truly" fixes that.

So if we were still losing but our coach was berating our players in press conferences and chewing officials all game for every lil infraction, that would show you that he is trying harder than he is?

I mean, do you really understand what he is doing? Its basically a transition from club team to varsity. On a team of 85, only about a third are his recruits to fit his style of play, so most of the people playing are freshman and sophomores.

CCG players were a top 20 recruiting class, its easier for CPJ to come in and win with them vs bottom 50 talent trying to play a different system. Had we gone with another 3O coach, we wouldn't be where we are. But it is what is. But look how much the offense has improved over last year. We've just had some bad luck when it comes to turnovers, which could be connected to lack of practice time.

Forget that there was only 3 practices this spring and limited time this summer. Yes it affected every team, but we are in year 2 of a big up hill climb. I never played football, was my sport, but i was aware enough to understand that with this system change that years 1-3 would be terrible. Nick saban couldn't have come in and rebuilt us any better with what we had in the cupboard. Give the men who are working their butts off a break. Things will get better, and stop crying in the sandbox cause it ain't doing anything except making you look petty. And don't come around boasting that you believed im CGC when the ship is going full steam ahead.
that club team won 7 games and went to a bowl game

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
that club team won 7 games and went to a bowl game

I wasn't dissing CPJ I grew up near Statesboro when he has Ga Sou in the finals every year.

But we are going from small, quick OL to big and powerful. Its a change that takes years to do.

Snowflake, I was using that reference as an illustration.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
To be honest, because he now is "my" coach, when they panned to Geoff on the sideline late in the game, I initially felt sorry for him. He looked so despondent and confused. I think he knew he was going to have to accept blame in a big way for this performance, and to his credit, he did. With that said, I have to remember he wanted this job - he wanted it so bad he lobbied and pursued Todd more than Todd pursued him, at least initially. At this point, I need another "catchphrase" from him. Not sure what it will be, but it has to be about discipline and execution. I am not good at marketing phrases, but it is obvious what this team needs right now. Of course, it is not the catchphrase they need - but the actual implementation of the catchphrase. I believe since CGC has coached under O'Leary and Saban, he is fully aware of what he and the other coaches must do for the next 2 weeks, so I am going to be cautiously optimistic about the next game. Will we win? Probably not. Will we be embarrassed by penalties and turnovers? I will "choose" to believe for now the answer is "no".
Catchphrase? How about "DISCIPLINE"? To be honest I'm tired of catchphrases. They're cool at first but now they are starting to sound gimmicky. We don't need catchphrases to play well. We just need to learn discipline and focus. Collins defense was always focused on creating chaos to confuse the other teams offense. Well we aren't confusing offenses, we're only confusing ourselves. There's a bunch of chaos on the entire team right now. There's no controlled chaos. i think we should scrap all the chaos and catchphrases and make coaches and players earn some things. I want to see discipline and focus on the field and not on a t-shirt. We need to stop thinking about swagger for a while so that we can focus playing on the game and not how cool we look walking on a stupid blue carpet. That stuff should be earned. And please don't bring up recruiting right now. These coaches need to focus on coaching right now.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Catchphrase? How about "DISCIPLINE"? To be honest I'm tired of catchphrases. They're cool at first but now they are starting to sound gimmicky. We don't need catchphrases to play well. We just need to learn discipline and focus. Collins defense was always focused on creating chaos to confuse the other teams offense. Well we aren't confusing offenses, we're only confusing ourselves. There's a bunch of chaos on the entire team right now. There's no controlled chaos. i think we should scrap all the chaos and catchphrases and make coaches and players earn some things. I want to see discipline and focus on the field and not on a t-shirt. We need to stop thinking about swagger for a while so that we can focus playing on the game and not how cool we look walking on a stupid blue carpet. That stuff should be earned. And please don't bring up recruiting right now. These coaches need to focus on coaching right now.

I am not about “catchphrases” either. I thought the sarcasm & the statement about implementing discipline being the important part was obvious.

quote from my OP - “it is not the catchphrase they need, but the actual implementation of the catchphrase (discipline)”

LibertyTurns

Banned
I allowed for that possibility in my initial comment. I thought we would come out on fire in the 2nd half after a chewing out. As far as I could tell, it got worse. Maybe it does only happen on the practice field and also maybe some of the coaches can be critical. It's like having kids. You can't always be their friend.
Sometimes you have to parent (coach), and use some disciplne. Maybe that doesn't mean yelling, but lack of focus and disciplne on the field needs to have consequences. Maybe move them off the ATL ?
CGC cannot be something he is not. If he’s not the kind of coach that jacks you up, he’s not going to turn into that either. The team definitely looks like it needs some enforcers, those guys that drag along the unwilling. I have no idea who that is or if we even have any, but I sure hope some emerge in that locker room. If not, we’re in a world of hurt.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
CGC cannot be something he is not.

Everyone has their style.

I follow Tennessee closely and love what Jeremy Pruitt is doing. He can’t schmooze, hell, he can’t even speak English, “a’ight?” But he can coach. His team is light years from where it was 2 years ago.

He had a team meeting and told them of the 85 or so players, maybe 20 could play SEC football. And the rest? Should hit the weight room, work with their position coach, or leave.

controversial. But now ... they are winning. The fan base is back, attitude is good.

I hope things work out. But I would not be surprised to see Geoff replaced before the end of his contract. Maybe by Brent Key? Geoff just reminds me of Butch Jones.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Everyone has their style.

I follow Tennessee closely and love what Jeremy Pruitt is doing. He can’t schmooze, hell, he can’t even speak English, “a’ight?” But he can coach. His team is light years from where it was 2 years ago.

He had a team meeting and told them of the 85 or so players, maybe 20 could play SEC football. And the rest? Should hit the weight room, work with their position coach, or leave.

controversial. But now ... they are winning. The fan base is back, attitude is good.

I hope things work out. But I would not be surprised to see Geoff replaced before the end of his contract. Maybe by Brent Key? Geoff just reminds me of Butch Jones.
Jeremy Pruitt also walked into a situation for a team that’s previous recruiting classes were:
2014: 7th nationally, 5th SEC
2015: 4th nationally, 2nd SEC
2016: 14th nationally, 7th SEC
2017: 17th nationally, 7th SEC
2018: 21st nationally, 8th SEC

The worst class that Pruitt had to work with is still better than the best class that Tech has ever had. That worst class was also the youngest class, so they would not be asked to play any significant minutes. That is a much different situation that what Collins inherited at Tech. Let’s not forget that Pruitt went 5-7 in 2018 and lost by 25 points to Vanderbilt team that went 6-7. In 2019 Pruitt lost to Georgia State and BYU, and lost to Tennessee’s 3 biggest rivals (Bama, Georgia, and Florida) by combined scores of 30-112.

Kirby Smart took over a Georgia team with previous recruiting classes of:
2012: 12th nationally
2013: 12th nationally
2014: 7th nationally
2015: 6th nationally
2016: 9th nationally

He then proceeded to go 7-5 in the regular season, and 4-4 in the SEC. And lost to a Vandy team that finished 6-7, and to Tech.

Keep in mind that neither of those coaches were tasked with completely changing the identity of their teams. Nor were they asked to completely overhaul the fundamental bases of their offenses, and do so with players who were not built or recruiting for that style of play. Those 2 also had the advantages of having an athletic department and school that fully supports the football program, and they were basically given blank checks to fill out the rest of their staffs.

It takes time for teams to improve after coaching changes. Y’all may not like to hear it, but the biggest transition in history talking point has a lot of merit to it. I don’t think there’s ever been anybody asked to do what Collins has been asked to do at Tech. Not with the challenges and obstacles that comes along with coaching at Georgia Tech brings. Y’all need to wait until at least mid-year in year 3 before throwing out these ridiculous accusations and calls for heads. Tech was picked last in the ACC for a reason. I don’t think that’s where Tech belongs, but everybody understands what Tech is up against except for our own fans I guess. Just look at the comments from opposing coaches before the year. The general consensus was that the team would be much improved, but it might not show in the record. Anybody that thought 5+ wins was going to be all but guaranteed this year really has no idea where Tech actually stands.

TechPreacher

Banned
4-11 overall. Loss to FCS. FSU may not win a game this year. Someone earlier compared him to Dan Quinn. He's not Dan Quinn; he's Jim Mora, Jr without the wins.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Y’all need to wait until at least mid-year in year 3 before throwing out these ridiculous accusations and calls for heads.

Please step away from the edge and be sure to use your HSA before years end on some desperately needed medication.

Did I call for heads? No. I said I think he’ll struggle to finish his 7 year contract. Did I make ridiculous accusations? No. Frankly, it’s on him to win games. He’s the head coach. And I’m actually fine with losing games if it demonstrates progress.

Pruitt inherited a dumpster fire and has focused on one thing. One. Coaching football. Not branding. Not Money Downs. Not media. Coaching. And from where they’ve come, I like it. (For the record, the team was totally dysfunctional and it took leaders on the football team to deal with the Jones recruits who were sitting on their hands and dividing the team. They are, for the most part, no longer relevant.)

Geoff DOES remind me of Butch Jones .. great recruiter, great pitchman, so so coach AT A D1 level.

As I said, I hope it works out. That’s all we can ask for right now.

Now ... be sure to get that RX. And friggin chill out.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Please step away from the edge and be sure to use your HSA before years end on some desperately needed medication.

Did I call for heads? No. I said I think he’ll struggle to finish his 7 year contract. Did I make ridiculous accusations? No. Frankly, it’s on him to win games. He’s the head coach. And I’m actually fine with losing games if it demonstrates progress.

Pruitt inherited a dumpster fire and has focused on one thing. One. Coaching football. Not branding. Not Money Downs. Not media. Coaching. And from where they’ve come, I like it. (For the record, the team was totally dysfunctional and it took leaders on the football team to deal with the Jones recruits who were sitting on their hands and dividing the team. They are, for the most part, no longer relevant.)

Geoff DOES remind me of Butch Jones .. great recruiter, great pitchman, so so coach AT A D1 level.

As I said, I hope it works out. That’s all we can ask for right now.

Now ... be sure to get that RX. And friggin chill out.
Did I say you were calling for heads? No. I said “y’all” because it was was a generalization for the people who are doing those things. Chill out bruh