Is Collins nasty enough to be a HC ?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was about to ask – who here has been within 20 feet of CPJ when he was berating our OL while they were on the bench between series? Every F word known to man, grabbing their jerseys. Each coach is different. The one we have now is great at connecting with kids in today’s generation. He knows how to recruit them, how to coach them, what makes them tick. Spitting F words across a players face from 6 inches doesn’t really recruit Well. And I happen to also think you don’t need that to get your point across. I made my 9th grade son cry 2 days ago over a discipline issue and I never raised my voice, appeared violent, or got up in his face. Our kids have the highest SATs of any public college football team - they’re not stupid. They‘re not lazy. To each his own, but whether we rise or fall it won’t be because of how much or how little we berate our guys.
I hear you, but I'm a screamer. Raising my voice makes me feel better. It's about me, not them.

Nemo951

Georgia Tech Fan
He coached at Miss St and at Florida. If he were the softie you claim he was , he wouldn’t have lasted long

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Dabo took a pay cut to make happen!
If I recall technically it was not a cut, but his insistence on redirecting a bunch of cash to his assistants. I believe but can't be certain that Johnson did that one year. (Now Swinney makes so much he just took a $1.8 million pay cut and isn't complaining. Somehow he can make it on $8 million.)

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
He was at Mississippi St. 4 years and Florida 2 years. I wouldn't call 4 years jumping around and he left Florida from being a Defensive Coordinator to head coach at Temple. He left Temple to both get back to his roots and to head up a Power 5 Conference team. I understand some of the concern but jumping around should not be one of them.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
He was at Mississippi St. 4 years and Florida 2 years. I wouldn't call 4 years jumping around and he left Florida from being a Defensive Coordinator to head coach at Temple. He left Temple to both get back to his roots and to head up a Power 5 Conference team. I understand some of the concern but jumping around should not be one of them.
And I believe he left Miss St to go to Fla with Dan Mullen when Dan left Miss St for Fla. He was just following the head coach.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is correct because Mullen was actually butthurt about the move. Said he didn't understand it because it was a "lateral move" and not a step up. Then he made the same move two years later.

I’m fine with his DC experience. It’s different when you’re the HC. I know tons of VPs who failed in the executive role.

I guess we still don’t know what Geoff’s coaching philosophy is, so it’s hard to measure him against that. That is one thing I liked about CPJ ... his philosophy was well known and you could look at game stats and see, regardless of the outcome ...

LibertyTurns

Banned
@Vespidae You get it. Not every phenomenal coordinator becomes a great HC. Not every great HC was a good coordinator. Some people are better at leading and others following. Let’s hope CGC has found his niche. I’ll keep reminding everyone, the alternative is not pretty. We’re mired in the crap for a decade if this experiment does not work. I’m not sure how many more GT HCs I got in me. Kinda hoping it’s a long tenure so I don’t have to go thru this more than a couple more times.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is correct because Mullen was actually butthurt about the move. Said he didn't understand it because it was a "lateral move" and not a step up. Then he made the same move two years later.

He left before Mullen, for a bigger job.

And, he also benefitted from not having to prepare for playing us in the 2014 OB - he left at the end of regular season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins has done what many of us have done. Moved his family multiple times to get more experience and move up the ladder. He is now back home at his dream job. He will keep pushing forward to get The ingredients to make GT a player in the college football world. He is in year 2. The AD is on board hence the 7 year contract. Relax and be patient. Let his actions do the talking. So far his recruiting has beaten any other GT recruiting in years. The wins will come as we get better players. It’s pretty simple.